Fish the Mitt

Where are the deer hunters at?

Obviously this is a fishing forum first and foremost. However, a passion for fishing generally includes a passion for the outdoors - to include, to an extent, hunting. Ie: this hunting category.

So, where is everyone? How's everyones archery season been so far? Up here in MI, we are gearing up for the rut here in a couple weeks. Prerut activities have started as bucks have been chasing for a bout a week and a half. No longer hanging out in their bachelor groups. 

I look forward to hearing from some fellow hunter/fishing enthusiasts. 

Rick B

• Like 1

hot weather and humidity have been keeping them pretty still so far.

was out last night for what seems like the first time it has been in the 40's and saw about 7 in 1.5hrs.

couple basket racks and does.  They were all very vocal and all very close.  Bucks were loners running their lines so seems like solid prerut here although we should be almost a month out from rut still.

did not bring my climber out and just my "lawn chair". was really fun being so close on the ground to them (10 yards).

• Like 2

Its been warm here too.  I live in a suburb of Minneapolis and we haven't even had a frost yet (first normal frost is Oct 8)!  Tomorrow is a high of almost 70 and normal high this time of year is about 50.  I think the rut is mostly dictated by the length of daylight but warm temperatures definitely reduce the amount of daytime activity deer have.

• Like 1

I don't like being hot while I'm hunting so I haven't been yet. Looking forward to getting to hunt deer in my own back yard this year. Lots of a does and few bucks on the trail camera this past week. Hopefully get a couple before our baby gets here. 

• Like 1

It's been warmer, that's for sure. Living in central Michigan, I've seen snow already and a handful of frosts. But every stretch we see favorible weather, we get a stretch of 70 degree weather. I shot a 10pt on opening day but after 2 days of searching, it was a no go (even brought the dogs out). Hit em a tad high and I think I stuck my arrow in the no go zone above the lungs. My first ever lost deer - pretty disheartening. 

Almost hit a deer in my driveway leaving for work tonight. Not how I want to get my first deer of the year, glad I hadn't got going too fast yet since there's no slamming on the brakes on gravel. 

Bought a ground blind and got it set up yesterday morning, hunted last night in the wind and 70 degree temps. Had a little fork hop the fence and spend the night trying to figure out what my blind was but he never spooked despite being downwind the entire night, so that was encouraging. It's cool to be able to get dressed, leave the house, and be hunting in 5 minutes too. Checked the trail cam while I was setting up the blind and found a few pictures of one that would be an awesome first deer in my own backyard.

FB_IMG_1477963055482_zpsfxny3cj9.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

Bought a ground blind and got it set up yesterday morning, hunted last night in the wind and 70 degree temps. Had a little fork hop the fence and spend the night trying to figure out what my blind was but he never spooked despite being downwind the entire night, so that was encouraging. It's cool to be able to get dressed, leave the house, and be hunting in 5 minutes too. Checked the trail cam while I was setting up the blind and found a few pictures of one that would be an awesome first deer in my own backyard.

FB_IMG_1477963055482_zpsfxny3cj9.jpg

Nice!

I think you need to reset your date on the cam though lol! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nice_Bass said:

Nice!

I think you need to reset your date on the cam though lol! 

Yeah I did yesterday  when I checked it. I was able to figure out what day he was there at least.

• Like 1

I've bow hunted a couple times.  All I have seen are squirrels and chipmunks.  So far its been to hot for the most part.

• Like 1

We allow a guy to hunt with bow and arrow behind my house in the city of Richmond.

So far he has nailed one; missed two; and had one run away and he could not find it.

We think the herd is about 500 strong and walks in a big 10 to 15 mile circle around my area.

The guy averages around 12 a season as there are limits on how many he can take at any one time.

Virginia deer hunting season starts on November 5th and that is when the deer disappear, for some unknown reason.

9 hours ago, Siebert Outdoors said:

I've bow hunted a couple times.  All I have seen are squirrels and chipmunks.  So far its been to hot for the most part.

The rush you get when one finally comes in to distance is unlike anything I've ever felt.. 

• Like 1

headed out today.

my head hurts from last night...Go Cubs!

sitting in a tree should help...just hope I am not shaky if I draw on one.

I was out last weekend in Iowa and I will say that the big boys were running! We saw a shooter or two every sit just didnt have them close enough. We have been hunting this land for awhile and have never had a weekend like that...I guess thats what happens when you dont shoot a buck for a couple years haha. I will be out again this weekend with high hopes. The weather looks infinitely better then last weekend (highs in the 70's for friday, saturday, and sunday...

I've been hunting hard the last 3 days and seen a ton of deer, including a couple nice ones. I've got one goofy little 5 point buck that I guess just likes to keep my company because it seems like he never leaves the field. 

20161111_165250_zpsj8khjm4z.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

I've been hunting hard the last 3 days and seen a ton of deer, including a couple nice ones. I've got one goofy little 5 point buck that I guess just likes to keep my company because it seems like he never leaves the field. 

20161111_165250_zpsj8khjm4z.jpg

This little 9pt was doing the same thing to me this past weekend. I was going after a monster 12pt I had been seeing on the trail cam. I hunted hard for 4 days and didn't see the monster, but I saw this 9pt every single time out. I decided it was time to get out of the treestand and back to fishing, so I took the shot. I'm sure that 12pt walked right under my stand the very next morning..

Hopefully the big ones show up for you guys. The rut should be going strong. Good luck filling tags!

IMG_0747.JPG

• Like 5

I sat out there for 8 days last week in central Minnesota for the 9 day gun season.  I went every day, all day, except last Sunday.  It wasn't very good.  I only saw a handful of deer and all of them were either at sunrise or sunset.  WAY too warm for deer hunting.  Almost 70 degrees on opening day.  I heard that a lot of venison was spoiled because of the warm temps.  I did manage to fill a management antlerless tag with a nice corn fed doe at 308 yards one evening so at least I'll have some meat in the freezer this winter.  What I did see a lot of every day was pheasants.  I saw at least 30 of those things every day.  Gonna be some good bird hunting in December.

• Like 1

Supposed to be in the 70's the next 2 days while I'm hunting, then 50's for highs and 20's for lows the next 3 days while I'm fishing a tournament at LOZ. I hate the weatherman. 

Not Really sure what is going on with the pic...But anyway here is the buck I shot on Sunday morning at 8am. An 8 pointer with very short G3's lol. But I was thrilled to have a buck down for the first time with a bow since 201320161113_165459.jpg

• Like 5

Got this guy at 715 this morning first day of the gun season. I gave up deer hunting to a extent this year it just doesn't do it for me anymore. 20 yard shot took out both lungs he went 15 yards into a thorny thicket and piled up. 

IMG_8693.JPG

• Like 2

Got a good size doe the second day of crossbow season a few weeks ago and then a small buck last weekend - 125# field dressed.  Quartering away shot hit the off shoulder.  Went about 80 yards.  Picture is attached.  This past weekend was a weird one with weather extremes; 65 on Saturday - saw 4: a large doe, a button buck and 2 fawns. On Sunday, snow and about 30 degrees, saw a large doe and a small one with it.  Now I'm just taking pictures and videos with my camera until a big buck comes around.  Took a picture of the small one yesterday about 6 yards from my stand.

102_1228.JPG

102_1245.JPG

• Like 2

For the 3rd time this season, I had what would have been my largest buck I've ever taken walk just out of range. At one point he was within range, but quartering away from me at more of an angle than I was comfortable with so I watched him walk away and hop the fence. I didn't want to hit guts and ruin or possibly even lose a good deer. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bluebasser86 said:

For the 3rd time this season, I had what would have been my largest buck I've ever taken walk just out of range. At one point he was within range, but quartering away from me at more of an angle than I was comfortable with so I watched him walk away and hop the fence. I didn't want to hit guts and ruin or possibly even lose a good deer. 

This has been the story of the season for the other people that I am hunting with and was for me before the right doe walked by my stand. We are seeing some really impressive numbers of big deer this year...If Iowa had a gun season during the rut we would have had an unbelievable year. That being said, I am perfectly happy and prefer that Iowa doesn't have a season during the rut.

• Like 1

Me and this guy continued our game of cat and mouse this past week. This is the exact spot he shows up at every time that he responds to the doe bleat can.

20161125_165559_zpsmmawywt5.jpg

Gun season starts this week, so his margin of error gets a lot smaller starting Wednesday. 

• Like 2

Set up closer