WDE

Help identifying this fish

Probably a totally noob question. I'm calling it a bluegill/bream. Co-worker insists that it's neither. Caught in a pond in the southeast. Secreted a nasty slime. Caught two like this similar size on a lipless crankbait.

291Zfh3.jpg

(Mods move if necessary)

its either a threadfin or gizzard shad

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wyattc said:

its either a threadfin or gizzard shad

Good call, thank you. Google images returns a very similar image to gizzard shad. I know nothing of these type of fish, other than the largemouths have been having fun on my shad flavored crankbait this week. 

yeah theyre all over toledo bend and rayburn, if youve ever watched older fishing shows and theyre using balloons as bobbers theyre more than likely fishing deep with these for big bass. ive seen them easily 12 inches long swim by in schools. its insane, super hard to catch with a dip net too haha

Gizzard Shad, too big to be a Threadfin.

Tom

• Like 8

100% Gizzard shad.

One that size on a circle hook would probably find one of the bigger largemouth in that body of water.

• Like 5

Gizzard shad, and like others said, put it on a circle hook, and hold on. If you're not into live bait fishing, then there are plenty of matching lures out there, because that's what the bass are feeding on. 20151210_162934_zpsoc0fcfyh.png

Dark%20Gizzard_zpsdgblnroe.jpg

• Like 1

Those are what I look for when when the weather turns like this!! 

• Like 1

That's the size shad you have to find to get around the bigger bass here this time of year. 

• Like 2

gizzard shad, too big to be a thread fin

I caught one that size this spring on an SK R.E.S.

Yep gizzard shad. Around here they usually run upstream this time of year and the big ones follow them. Looks like your in the right spot.

Gizzard Shad.I have caught many gizzard shad over a pound on small swimbaits.They make good cutbait for catfish.

• Like 3

man, wish i could get some of them when i go striper fishing at SML. but i cant throw a cast net for crap. when i do all i get is alewives off the spot light on my uncles dock, so hard to keep them alewives alive...

• Like 1

On 11/1/2016 at 9:29 AM, Red Bear said:

man, wish i could get some of them when i go striper fishing at SML. but i cant throw a cast net for crap. when i do all i get is alewives off the spot light on my uncles dock, so hard to keep them alewives alive...

Keep fewer (A dozen at a time or so) And have two bait buckets. A small 5 gallon or so one that you can dump and refill; that is going to be your calming bucket. as soon as you catch your dozen put them in this bucket with some coffee creamer. They will freak out and poop and make the water nasty pretty fast, but the coffee creamer will calm them down. After they've had time to void their bowels and calm down, move them to your main bait tank, and run the aerator d**n near constantly. I can keep alewives alive for about 3 days caring for them this way. calm bait is living bait. 

Back on topic, It's a gizzard shad. I would know that nasty thing anywhere from 100 miles away while blind in both eyes.

• Like 1

never heard the coffee creamer thing, but even had them die overnight and sometimes almost instantly in an aerated bucket. i actually dont have a proper bait tank. when i do get some they end up as cut bait for catfish once they die lol

On October 28, 2016 at 8:59 PM, Dogmatic said:

Gizzard shad, and like others said, put it on a circle hook, and hold on. If you're not into live bait fishing, then there are plenty of matching lures out there, because that's what the bass are feeding on. 20151210_162934_zpsoc0fcfyh.png

Dark%20Gizzard_zpsdgblnroe.jpg

I know the bottom one's a Mattlures, but what's the glide?

8 hours ago, VolFan said:

I know the bottom one's a Mattlures, but what's the glide?

Reaction shad by Clinch customs.

you need to get yourself some swimbaits, asap

• Like 1