What thickness plywood and type is best for a casting deck with carpet? 1/2" or 3/4"? Also what type

1/2 inch will flex quite a bit. I'd go with 3/4.

• Like 2

3/4, buy the best stuff they got at lowes or hd, I think my last boat was 42 dollars a sheet.   I always get the best 3/4 they got and make sure you seal it with fiberglass when you are done before you carpet it.  Will last long after the carpet is gone.

• Like 1

Depends on how you brace it. The type depends on the type of boat. Never use pressure treated on an aluminum boat. I don't like wasting money on marine grade. I just buy regular and seal myself.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, riverbasser said:

Depends on how you brace it. The type depends on the type of boat. Never use pressure treated on an aluminum boat. I don't like wasting money on marine grade. I just buy regular and seal myself.

how do you see yours?

I've done one casting deck on a aluminum boat and replaced the floor in 2 fiberglass boats. The 2 floors just got glassed. The aluminum deck I sealed with a stain/seal from home depot. Did about 3 coats on all sides and then installed on boat and carpeted last. I owned it for 5 years and sold it to a friend. Its still as strong as new.

Plywood sturdi floor (5/8") sub-floor is up to 10% stiffer than oriented strand board (osb), which means there will be less deflection and bounce under your foot.

A good five ply 1/2" works but not anything HD or Lowes sells.