Jump to content
It's a toad

Ideal punching/frogging rod under $130

Recommended Posts

abu garcia's veritas………..with or without micro guides. great rod for the money.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, crypt said:

abu garcia's veritas………..with or without micro guides. great rod for the money.

Do you own a veritas? If so is it sensitive, light, do the powers actually feel like there suppose to for example does a medium feel like a medium? I was considering buying one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, It's a toad said:

Do you own a veritas? If so is it sensitive, light, do the powers actually feel like there suppose to for example does a medium feel like a medium? I was considering buying one.

 

have 3. 1 for punching. love it.action feel just like described. i.e. med is a med. heavy is heavy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel differently about the Abu rods. They all seem a little heavier than they're listed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, crypt said:

have 3. 1 for punching. love it.action feel just like described. i.e. med is a med. heavy is heavy.

Do you have any for finesse fishing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 2 different rods for the techniques you listed but I've used my frogging rod for punching and it did pretty well.

I use a 7' 3" H/F Ethos Micro from Academy for frogging. It's $80 full price but can be had much cheaper when they go on sale. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My frog rod is a 7 foot MH original Veritas with micro guides. It fishes a frog fine. All Abu Garcia Veritas run a half power heavier so my 7 ft Heavy was too heavy to frog with but perfect as a jig rod in deep water as well as punchin.

You asked for rod suggestions for under $130. We need to clarify something here. Most rods that frog well flip and pitch fairly well. Punchin can be a stretch depending on how heavy a weight you wish to use, If we are talking about  1 ounce or so weight then yes it can be done on a frog/pitchin rod. If heavier than you need two rods. Having said that here are my best suggestions in your price range.

Dobyns Fury FR 735C for $110   For about $!50 take a good look at the Irod Genesis II IRG754F “Fred’s Magic Stick” It should handle all of your frog, flipping and pitching needs. ALso look at a Powell Mac 3D 736 CEFFrog Mag Heavy rod also for around $150.

As for a reel match it up with a Daiwa Tatula, Tatula CT, or Tatula Type R in 7-1 or 8-1.  These reels are work horses. My Veritas has a Tatula Type R in 8-1 ratio and works smooth as butter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^  Good info there, @fishnkamp

 

I agree with all.  I have 7'MH Veritas and it is on the H side of MH, if you ask me.  Very good all-around MHF rod for the money.  I've used it for jigs, trigs, frogs, chatterbaits, spinnerbaits, etc.  It is now relegated for mostly frogs and heavier spinnerbaits/chatterbaits.

I tied punching with it when I first got it, but it was not up to the challenge.  I got a 7'11" H Okuma TCS Mat Daddy for punching and it has been good for that.  Cheap, too.  Too heavy to throw frogs on all day, but I do use it for dragging heavy carolina rigs around. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, fishnkamp said:

My frog rod is a 7 foot MH original Veritas with micro guides. It fishes a frog fine. All Abu Garcia Veritas run a half power heavier so my 7 ft Heavy was too heavy to frog with but perfect as a jig rod in deep water as well as punchin.

You asked for rod suggestions for under $130. We need to clarify something here.Most rods that frog well flip ans pitch fairly well. Punchin can be a stretch depending on how heavy a weight you wish to use, If we are talking about  1 ounce or so weight then yes it can be done on a frog/pitchin rod. If heavier than you need two rods. Having said that here are my best suggestions in your price range.

Dobyns Fury FR 735C for $110   For about $!50 take a good look at the Irod Genesis II IRG754F “Fred’s Magic Stick” It should handle all of your frog, flipping and pitching needs. ALso look at a Powell Mac 3D 736 CEFFrog Mag Heavy rod also for around $150.

As for a reel match it up with a Daiwa Tatula, Tatula CT, or Tatula Type R in 7-1 or 8-1.  These reels are work horses. My Veritas has a Tatula Type R in 8-1 ratio and works smooth as butter.

Thanks man great info where could I find that "Fred's magic stick" I tried *** couldn't find it maybe I over looked but still couldn't find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, It's a toad said:

Thanks man great info where could I find that "Fred's magic stick" I tried *** couldn't find it maybe I over looked but still couldn't find it.

I googled :Irod Genesis II IRG754F Fred’s Magic Stick", and the TW link is right at the top

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got one of the previous generation St. Croix Mojo Bass rods (frog/slop model). It's my primary frog rod, but I've used it for punching too and it handles both equally well. The revised generation are lighter, and more sensitive, and the same model is slightly longer. I have no doubt it'll be able to punch just as well, and if they changed it like they did the new jig rod it will have a slightly lighter tip making it even easier to throw frogs. It's $10 over your budget, but it would be an extra $10 well spent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

I googled :Irod Genesis II IRG754F Fred’s Magic Stick", and the TW link is right at the top

I believe they call it Fred's frog stick on tw.

42 minutes ago, WIGuide said:

I've got one of the previous generation St. Croix Mojo Bass rods (frog/slop model). It's my primary frog rod, but I've used it for punching too and it handles both equally well. The revised generation are lighter, and more sensitive, and the same model is slightly longer. I have no doubt it'll be able to punch just as well, and if they changed it like they did the new jig rod it will have a slightly lighter tip making it even easier to throw frogs. It's $10 over your budget, but it would be an extra $10 well spent. 

This seems like a common rod must have something good about it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its a Toad where do you live?  There are some dealers spread around the country, and Tackle Warehouse is definitely one. Check here for a dealer in your area. http://www.irodfishing.com/category-s/122.htm  and online dealers here  http://www.irodfishing.com/category-s/121.htm

I do not own that particular rod but I do own 2 other Genesis II rods. I have a Gabes Rip Rap Special which I love throwing traps and small to mid size crankbaits. My wife uses a Genesis II heavier finesse spinning rod for frogs. Man that rod is sweet.

I am lucky i live in Md so I have both Anglers Express in Hunt Valley MD. as well as Susquehanna Fishing Tackle in Lancaster PA.  Both of them would be happy to have one drop shipped to you anywhere in the USA.  They are both great to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, It's a toad said:

Do you own a veritas? If so is it sensitive, light, do the powers actually feel like there suppose to for example does a medium feel like a medium? I was considering buying one.

 

have 3. 1 for punching. love it.action feel just like described. i.e. med is a med. heavy is heavy. no on finesse rod. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

Its a Toad where do you live?  There are some dealers spread around the country, and Tackle Warehouse is definitely one. Check here for a dealer in your area. http://www.irodfishing.com/category-s/122.htm  and online dealers here  http://www.irodfishing.com/category-s/121.htm

I do not own that particular rod but I do own 2 other Genesis II rods. I have a Gabes Rip Rap Special which I love throwing traps and small to mid size crankbaits. My wife uses a Genesis II heavier finesse spinning rod for frogs. Man that rod is sweet.

I am lucky i live in Md so I have both Anglers Express in Hunt Valley MD. as well as Susquehanna Fishing Tackle in Lancaster PA.  Both of them would be happy to have one drop shipped to you anywhere in the USA.  They are both great to deal with.

I live in California 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

God, you are in their backyard!  If you go on the links I posted there is at least 20 fishing shops listed in California alone that carry them in stock. The second link takes you to their online dealers which includes Tackle Warehouse, Bass Tackle Depot, HI's Tackle Box, Last Chance Tackle, Outdoor Pro Shop,  and Tackle Express all of which are located in California.

The factory is located at 

5342 Lewis Rd

Agoura Hills, CA 91301.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishnkamp said:

God, you are in their backyard!  If you go on the links I posted there is at least 20 fishing shops listed in California alone that carry them in stock. The second link takes you to their online dealers which includes Tackle Warehouse, Bass Tackle Depot, HI's Tackle Box, Last Chance Tackle, Outdoor Pro Shop,  and Tackle Express all of which are located in California.

The factory is located at 

5342 Lewis Rd

Agoura Hills, CA 91301.

Yeah I noticed that haha... I kinda I have my mind set on the 735 from dobyns because 1st the price 2nd the 7'5" height might be a little to long for my liking and 3rd I have seen some bad reviews and never even seen a irod in person. But I plan in the future to test out Irod maybe when I come across some extra cash. Thanks for all the info.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dobyns makes a great rod also. I have really become fans of the Irods, Dobyns and Powell. I fish some of each of them. I used to love the G Loomis stuff, but not so much since it was taken over by Shimano. Certain things were cheapened up in my opinion.  I have not fished with the FR735C but a friend does. I have had it in my paws just not with a fish on the other end. It feels a lot more like a $200 rod.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't overlook the Powell frog rod as mentioned above. I've got one in my cart on TW waiting to get it for 20 percent off on Friday. I think Dobyns is a good choice also. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite frog, punch, or heavy jig/lure rod is my Bass Pro Carbonlite. It's strong, has a great backbone, and I like the microguides. Just my two cents! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fenwick elite tech 7'5" heavy, goes on sale for $120 at TW with black friday deals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duckett has a new rod coming out, the Triad. They offer a 7'4" Heavy which would be a great frog rod, and a 7'6" XH for your punching needs. $129.99 new.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Megastink said:

Duckett has a new rod coming out, the Triad. They offer a 7'4" Heavy which would be a great frog rod, and a 7'6" XH for your punching needs. $129.99 new.

Really that sounds awesome I really like the sensitivity of there rods but the ghost guides were not that good... When does the rod come out now I'm excited haha 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, It's a toad said:

Really that sounds awesome I really like the sensitivity of there rods but the ghost guides were not that good... When does the rod come out now I'm excited haha 

Two more weeks. These have inserted guide, similar to their upper-end models. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×