Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
hawgenvy

Do bass eat Mayan cichlids? Anyone know?

Recommended Posts

So...I have been catching (in south Florida) lots of Mayan cichlids lately. Not deliberately; they've just been hammering my chrome 110 mm jerkbait. Many are pretty big (up to over a pound) and put up a fight. They are like bream on steroids.  But they have a dramatic color scheme: dark back, laterally they have dark bluish vertical stripes over an orange background, and a red-yellow belly that extends rostrally to an incredible brilliant red-orange chin. Bass probably eat the juveniles, though I have not seen them do so, nor have I seen caught bass bass puke them up.  One could theoretically use them as live bait as they are not a game species.  But I would be more interested in imitating the appearance with an artificial bait.  Right now red craw and perch patterns are the closest, I think, commercially. I could certainly paint a soft swimbait or add a red trailer to a jig, or draw on a crankbait with a sharpie, to make it look Mayan.

Anyway, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF MAYAN CICHLIDS ARE ROUTINELY EATEN BY SO FL BASS?

FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bass will eat anything they think might be food. Even if it doesn't closely resemble anything that swims where they live,  Including stuff like plastic worms, and spinnerbaits. If the cichlids are aren't bigger than the bass, and swim in the same waters, they will be eaten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The single most important food source of bass in Mexico is tilapia, which is a cichlid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should throw a few of those in the livewell, bring them home and put them in an aquarium! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hawgenvy said:

So...I have been catching (in south Florida) lots of Mayan cichlids lately. Not deliberately; they've just been hammering my chrome 110 mm jerkbait. Many are pretty big (up to over a pound) and put up a fight. They are like bream on steroids.  But they have a dramatic color scheme: dark back, laterally they have dark bluish vertical stripes over an orange background, and a red-yellow belly that extends rostrally to an incredible brilliant red-orange chin. Bass probably eat the juveniles, though I have not seen them do so, nor have I seen caught bass bass puke them up.  One could theoretically use them as live bait as they are not a game species.  But I would be more interested in imitating the appearance with an artificial bait.  Right now red craw and perch patterns are the closest, I think, commercially. I could certainly paint a soft swimbait or add a red trailer to a jig, or draw on a crankbait with a sharpie, to make it look Mayan.

Anyway, DOES ANYONE KNOW IF MAYAN CICHLIDS ARE ROUTINELY EATEN BY SO FL BASS?

FullSizeRender copy 2.jpg

Yes bass eat mayan cichlids so it might be a good idea to try a lure that imitates the colors of these fish.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

several companies make plastics in a tilapia color - I know I've seen swimbaits by Big Bite Baits in a tilapia pattern.  And as stated previously, tilapia are a cichlid.  I think some of the more gaudy bluegill patterns would also mimic the scheme you're looking for.  Come to think  of it, the Bandit bluegill-colored crank my buddy was throwing yesterday had that blue back and bright red belly you mentioned.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know about cichlids, but they eat tilapia. Snook also love tilapia.  A friend of mine is a fish farmer raising tropical fish for aquariums. He uses mollies and swordtails to catch crappie.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, guys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup and snook like them too 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

bass will definitely eat them. snook will destroy them! i call them strawberry daiquiris. they usually don't last long when you drop them near some snook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, folks. I've been looking around for lures that kind of look like Mayans. Maybe something striped and red or orange on the bottom would work. Or maybe tossing a red craw-colored squarebill around areas where bass and Mayans coexist might get some extra bass bites.

Would love to catch a big snook on a live Mayan. Bluegills are illegal as bait in Florida, but not Mayans, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BassinLou said:

@hawgenvy I just took this off the FWC website, inregards of using bluegill has bait. 

http://m.myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/regulations/taking-bait/

Wow, thanks! That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what I thought!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hawgenvy said:

Wow, thanks! That's exactly the OPPOSITE of what I thought!

You're welcome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FWC rule kind of make sense.

They don't want you bringing your non native fish to use as bait and they can't really enforce whether you caught it right then and there and are using it for bait or if you brought it from somewhere else. But at first I was thinking that was just dumb because wouldn't the FWC want those non native fish to get eaten? The bad outweighs the good in this case if they allowed the use of non native fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2016 at 10:56 PM, hawgenvy said:

Thanks, folks. I've been looking around for lures that kind of look like Mayans. Maybe something striped and red or orange on the bottom would work. Or maybe tossing a red craw-colored squarebill around areas where bass and Mayans coexist might get some extra bass bites.

Would love to catch a big snook on a live Mayan. Bluegills are illegal as bait in Florida, but not Mayans, though.

You are allowed to fish with bluegills that you catch on hook and line ( it's in the FWC guidelines).If you don't like using livebait you can use bluegill imitating swimbaits or other lures with similar color patterns. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×