Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
reerok

Mojo Rigging - Favorite Baits?

Recommended Posts

I started mojo rigging (or split shot rig as some know it) this past fishing season with some success.  I mostly used 4-5" single tail grubs and 5" senkos on medium wire 3/0 gammy hooks.  What are some of your favorite baits to use for mojo rigging?

 

-reerok

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've toyed with this bait over the last year or so, but only seem to throw it on days I tell myself I will throw it.

That being said I like reapers, tubes, and baby brush hogs primarily.  I also throw finesse worms and soft jerk baits from time to time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To start with try GYCB 4" Double tail Hula grub with your 3/0 hook. I use a 1/4" piece of rubber peg through the hook eye to hold the Hula grub onto the hook, just pull the soft plastic over the rubber peg.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good call on the GYCB hula grub.  That looks like a perfect plastic for this technique.  

I've never tried a tube this way but it makes sense too.  Thanks guys.

Has anyone ever tried any type of worm other than a senko?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

super fluke/super fluke jr... exclusively, for no good reason I can recall...When I come across long, shallow points, this is one of the first baits I usually think of

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

--4" to 6" straight tailed worms, like zoom trick worm or biospawn plasmatail.

--any little creature bait;  some of the ones I've used recently, off the top of my head,:  Zoom Baby Brush Hog, Netbait Baby Action Cat, V&M J-bug, Big Bite Baits Kriet Creature.

--haven't tried hula grubs on a mojo, but that sounds like a great idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Choporoz said:

super fluke/super fluke jr... exclusively, for no good reason I can recall...When I come across long, shallow points, this is one of the first baits I usually think of

I like this idea too.  How do you rig them?  Just a Texposed EWG hook (appropriately sized for the fluke)?  or do you use a screw lock style unweighted hook?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, reerok said:

 Texposed EWG hook

No reason you couldn't use a keeper-style, however.  I bought a bunch of skip-gap hooks a couple years ago and still working through them all; while they aren't my favorite, they do a good job keeping flukes up and straight

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I usually go lighter wire hooks with mojo, as I tend
to use it as a light-line technique.

However, I will use it with up to 3/0 hooks in either
O'Shaugnessy bend or EWG, whatever I've got 
around, usually the former.

I like to use smaller minnows in the 3" range and
Zoom Finesse Worms. For the larger hooks, I go
with Zoom Trick worms, 4" senkos, and so on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WRB said:

To start with try GYCB 4" Double tail Hula grub with your 3/0 hook. I use a 1/4" piece of rubber peg through the hook eye to hold the Hula grub onto the hook, just pull the soft plastic over the rubber peg.

Tom

What kind of rubber peg ? You just slide the bait on it , huh ? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This exact same thread was just on here recently:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, reerok said:

Good call on the GYCB hula grub.  That looks like a perfect plastic for this technique.  

I've never tried a tube this way but it makes sense too.  Thanks guys.

Has anyone ever tried any type of worm other than a senko?

Don't know what line you use so it's hard to suggest specific worms. My preference is worms that tend to float like hand poured Upton Customs, Iovono and Roboworms. I have settled on Owner 5133 size 1 for finesse worms 4 1/2-5" and size  1/0 for 6" with 6 to 8 lb mono.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a z man fluke style bait.they float like a cork! When you stop them and give them a little slack they will rise towards the surface.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2016 at 3:26 PM, Darren. said:

I usually go lighter wire hooks with mojo, as I tend
to use it as a light-line technique.

However, I will use it with up to 3/0 hooks in either
O'Shaugnessy bend or EWG, whatever I've got 
around, usually the former.

I like to use smaller minnows in the 3" range and
Zoom Finesse Worms. For the larger hooks, I go
with Zoom Trick worms, 4" senkos, and so on.

 

That's how I've always utilized  Mojo- Rigs. It's like a finesse Carolina Rig w/o the barrel swivel and beads.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For this method I like using flukes, senkos, brush hogs, lizards, and sometimes little paddle tail swimbaits like a keitech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×