smallies24/7

Boots

Looking for a good pair of waterproof boots for wearing in the winter and spring fishing. What do you guys run, and how do you like them?

I wear Carolina's and currently have 8" Broad Toes (CA8525) with the logger bottoms. I also got a great deal on a pair of Columbia Mudhawks and I usually wear those bank fishing.

What are you looking for in a boot, aside from waterproofing? Soles, steel/composite toe, height 4 6 or 8", insulation..

It doesn't usually get that cold here. But it can be wet. I dislike boots so I wear waterproof socks and wear normal fishing shoes or even sandals. When it gets colder, I layer a little under the waterproof socks or wear warmer Athletic shoes.

Search ShowersPass for waterproof socks. They have regular and wool waterproofs.

On 11/30/2016 at 5:50 PM, basseditor said:

It doesn't usually get that cold here. But it can be wet. I dislike boots so I wear waterproof socks and wear normal fishing shoes or even sandals. When it gets colder, I layer a little under the waterproof socks or wear warmer Athletic shoes.

Search ShowersPass for waterproof socks. They have regular and wool waterproofs.

How much life do you get out of these?  I have a "normal" height pair I got during a store closeout but I have not worn them enough to see how long they last for.  I do a lot of hiking and almost always hike near water, which around where I live means marsh/wetlands.  I keep thinking that if I had kneehigh waterproof socks I would be the king of cold weather stream crossings.  But buying a $60 pair of socks is pretty intimidating.  

As for boots, I had a pair of lightweight North Face boots for the past two years that did ok, but the waterproofing began to fail during full submersion after maybe a year, but worked fine for wet grass and the odd "oh god that bank was a lot softer then I thought" moments until I moved them to "spare car shoe" status last week.  I replaced them with a pair of Lowa backpacking boots, which are much heavier and much stiffer.  I am taking them on a good 6-8 mile test hike tomorrow but have worn them around the lake bank fishing a few times this week and like them so far.  

• Like 1

Muck Rangers

On 12/2/2016 at 9:13 PM, Bunnielab said:

How much life do you get out of these?  I have a "normal" height pair I got during a store closeout but I have not worn them enough to see how long they last for.  I do a lot of hiking and almost always hike near water, which around where I live means marsh/wetlands.  I keep thinking that if I had kneehigh waterproof socks I would be the king of cold weather stream crossings.  But buying a $60 pair of socks is pretty intimidating.  

I'm just using them in the boat. So I expect they'll last a long time for me. They were on sale for $25 a pair and maybe they'll go back on sale for Christmas.

I have a pair of northface snow boots.

Work well.