Jump to content
cabled70

Daiwa Zillion vs Shimano Chronarch OR! Shimano Curado K vs Daiwa Tatula SV TW

Recommended Posts

If this has been answered please point me in the right direction and my apologies if the info is here already!!!

 

I have been using Daiwa baitcasters for years but am considering a change/upgrade for my own "flagship" reel(s) - meaning - I've kept it under $200 per reel in the past but want your advice on whether or not bumping up to the next level is worth it and if I should consider Shimano.

 

Quite honestly, I am looking for an excellent overall reel and the Tatula Type R's I bought in spring of 2017 were and remain great, but they definitely needed to be torn apart and cleaned up after getting quite noisy and shorter casting toward the end of the season.  They're now like new after I did the appropriate maintenance.

 

Distance is ABSOLUTELY a huge factor as I am primarily on the bank these days after I moved to NYC and sold my Ranger several years back.  So, distance will play a major role. 

 

Specifically - is it worth the extra $100 or so bucks?  Is there a considerable casting distance difference between the pricier models.  What is the distance difference between the cheaper models?

 

And ultimately - who is your winner? Shimano Chronarch vs Daiwa Zillion for higher end or Tatula SV TW/Curado K at the moderately priced level?

 

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are so many factors that affect casting distance more than the choice between these reels. In fact for raw casting distance spinning tackle is the way to go. A more refined reel is more pleasurable to fish but I don't think casting distance is substantially different just because one is higher priced. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice reel is like a hotrod.  The reels true potential lies in a tune that fits with the way you fish.  The sv spool is nice for not backlashING but is not truly tuned for the most distance.  There are guys that know how to tune some reels to fit you and your style best.  I have an old jdm zillion hlc with a dobyns 764 that will almost empty the spool on a 1/2 to 3/4 crankbait or rattle trap.  The inductor has a much stronger spring to reduce the dampening.  Wide open it can get quite wild but for distance with a bait 1/2 or over its hard to beat.  What are you fishing?  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Casting is more in the rod and mechanics than it is the reel. I have $30 reels that can cast with the best of them. While my $200 retail sv tw is idiot proof and great for skipping, it isn't my furthest caster. But I don't expect it to be. I bought it to skip, pitch, and for short underhand casts with jigs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Chronarch MGL's will bomb a crankbait out there with the new MGL spool, but I also use my XG MGL for pitching jigs, so that reel is very versatile if you have the right ratio for your needs. The Zillion SV doesn't hardly give you an advantage over the Tatula SV, in my opinion.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Delaware Valley Tackle said:

...for raw casting distance spinning tackle is the way to go. A more refined reel is more pleasurable to fish but I don't think casting distance is substantially different just because one is higher priced. 

DelValTackle,

Thanks and couldn't agree with you more.  I have a 7' spinning rod paired w a Shimano reel that will cast a 1/2oz lipless about 70 yards with a full spool.  I am very much interested in the more expensive reels for the higher number of bearings and overall upgrades (spool weight/design) allowing me just that few extra yards due to being stranded on shore! :-)

 

12 hours ago, Angry John said:

What are you fishing?  

 

AJ,

Thanks and as mentioned above, I agree those lipless go a mile.  As for what I am throwing and trying to reach out with it's a variety of jigs, swimbaits, senkos, crankbaits, spinnerbaits.  The toughest being spinnerbaits when the wind catches em and jigs are not the most aerodynamic on the planet either.  I know the weights can be increased but the action changes at that point.  It's really just a matter of a few yards as I mentioned in my response to DVT above.

 

12 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Casting is more in the rod and mechanics than it is the reel. I have $30 reels that can cast with the best of them. 

 

CH,

Much appreciated. I have an old ABU Garcia 4500 that doesn't even begin to come close to the casting distance (just as my own comparison example) of my newest Tatulas but do know some of the cheaper reels do get out there a good distance.  I am certainly spoiled from my days on a deck of the bass boat when all you had to do was just MOVE A LITTLE CLOSER!!! I miss that option!  Not to beat a dead horse here, but just trying to get a handful of extra yards...

 

2 hours ago, fishballer06 said:

My Chronarch MGL's will bomb a crankbait out there with the new MGL spool, but I also use my XG MGL for pitching jigs, so that reel is very versatile if you have the right ratio for your needs. The Zillion SV doesn't hardly give you an advantage over the Tatula SV, in my opinion.

FB06,

Thanks and I appreciate the feedback, may lean toward the Chronarch.

 

SO TO ALL! I'd appreciate any further feedback, and also  - after writing my first message - I see that the Curado has the brakes that require opening the sideplate to adjust where the chronarch has a dial.  This is the case, right?  I prefer the external dial.

 

And gonna open up another can here - what line casts furthest for all of you?  Mono, Fluoro, Braid?

 

Again, all feedback appreciated!!! Thanks!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, cabled70 said:

I see that the Curado has the brakes that require opening the sideplate to adjust where the chronarch has a dial.  This is the case, right?  I prefer the external dial.

 

And gonna open up another can here - what line casts furthest for all of you?  Mono, Fluoro, Braid?

 

Both the Curado K and the Chronarch MGL have the internal centrifugal brakes that you can adjust and they do the majority of the braking, and then they have the external "fine" adjuster as well. Having owned both, I usually have my internal brakes set to one setting, and then I'll just use the fine adjuster on the outside to adjust for wind and different lure weights. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

Both the Curado K and the Chronarch MGL have the internal centrifugal brakes that you can adjust and they do the majority of the braking, and then they have the external "fine" adjuster as well. Having owned both, I usually have my internal brakes set to one setting, and then I'll just use the fine adjuster on the outside to adjust for wind and different lure weights. 

Thanks FB06,

I appreciate that feedback.  Now, and trying to not sound like a dummy who's been throwing baitcasters for 35 years, is the fine adjustment you refer to a "cast control" knob or is it a numbered magnet dial? 

 

In looking at the Shimano website there are several different pictures of the chronarch that show both a "cast control" along with a numbered dial (which I assume would be magnets) on the sideplate opposite the handle.  The Shimano website only shows pics of the handle side of the Curado but I believe the opposite side is still the solid sideplate.

 

Just being specific as I can before making the decision.  Thanks again!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cabled70 said:

 

Is the fine adjustment you refer to a "cast control" knob? 

No. The cast control knob is on the handle side, like all standard casting reels. 

 

14 minutes ago, cabled70 said:

Is the fine adjustment you refer to a numbered magnet dial? 

No. There are no magnets in the Curado or Chronarch.

 

As I stated before, the Curado and Chronarch both use centrifugal brakes and feature and external "fine" adjustment knob for the brakes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of those reels should be fine for distance.  I would suggest going to a longer rod vs. looking for extra distance from a higher performing reels.  I see this as a physics issue vs. mechanics of a reel.  Moment = Fulcrum arm (length), x Load. (Fulcrum arm being the length of the rod, and load being the lure weight.)

 

If you are using a 7'-2" and could go to a 7'-6" yeah, you're going to throw farther.  What about spool capacity?  I assume you are filling your reels all the way up.

 

I read and agreed with several points, but I would go the route of longer rod.

 

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

No. The cast control knob is on the handle side, like all standard casting reels. 

 

No. There are no magnets in the Curado or Chronarch.

 

As I stated before, the Curado and Chronarch both use centrifugal brakes and feature and external "fine" adjustment knob for the brakes. 

Thanks again FB06,

Just so I'm not going crazy - and I know it may sound that way - go to fish.shimano website and look up the Low Profile baitcaster section, select Chronarch MGL, click on "Detailed Product Page" and check out the pics.  There is an angle shown where it appears there is a magnet dial.  May be a new change for 2018?

23 minutes ago, WdyCrankbait said:

All of those reels should be fine for distance.  I would suggest going to a longer rod vs. looking for extra distance from a higher performing reels.  I see this as a physics issue vs. mechanics of a reel.  Moment = Fulcrum arm (length), x Load. (Fulcrum arm being the length of the rod, and load being the lure weight.)

 

If you are using a 7'-2" and could go to a 7'-6" yeah, you're going to throw farther.  What about spool capacity?  I assume you are filling your reels all the way up.

 

I read and agreed with several points, but I would go the route of longer rod.

 

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thanks WC,

I think I just need to cast harder! :-)

 

Definitely going with a 7'0" rod but I have the challenge of subways, buses, and taxi's for my main mode of transportation around the city.  Therefore, I have a couple 2 pc rods (both casting and spinning) but will do one piece 7' rods to test and see.  5 or 10 extra yards!  Just looking for 5 or 10 EXTRA YARDS!!! 

 

Thanks and I will definitely keep you all posted.

 

How about my fishing line question above - furthest casts with what line?!? Mono, Fluoro, or Braid?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cabled70 said:

Thanks again FB06,

Just so I'm not going crazy - and I know it may sound that way - go to fish.shimano website and look up the Low Profile baitcaster section, select Chronarch MGL, click on "Detailed Product Page" and check out the pics.  There is an angle shown where it appears there is a magnet dial.  May be a new change for 2018?

Both the Curado and Chronarch come with the "Fine Tune" numbered dial you are speaking of. It is NOT magnetic brakes as you are a customed to. Your centrifugal brakes do the majority of the braking. The dial is to fine to say for into the wind casts or lighter lures.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chance_Taker4 said:

Both the Curado and Chronarch come with the "Fine Tune" numbered dial you are speaking of. It is NOT magnetic brakes as you are a customed to. Your centrifugal brakes do the majority of the braking. The dial is to fine to say for into the wind casts or lighter lures.  

Thanks CT4! Was confused there for a minute...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, cabled70 said:

Thanks again FB06,

Just so I'm not going crazy - and I know it may sound that way - go to fish.shimano website and look up the Low Profile baitcaster section, select Chronarch MGL, click on "Detailed Product Page" and check out the pics.  There is an angle shown where it appears there is a magnet dial.  May be a new change for 2018?

 

I'm well aware of what you are referring to. I believe cabin fever has taken over your brain already.

 

I own 4 Chronarch MGL's, 1 Metanium MGL, 2 Curado K series, 2 Curado I series, and 1 Curado 70 series. All of those Shimano reels have centrifugal braking systems with and an external "fine" adjustment dial. Not a single one of these reels has a single magnet anywhere inside of them. Trust me. 

 

As for line, use whatever you prefer. No single line casts further than another. A proper rod for the lure weight you are using will effect casting distance more than anything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

 

I'm well aware of what you are referring to. I believe cabin fever has taken over your brain already.

 

I own 4 Chronarch MGL's, 1 Metanium MGL, 2 Curado K series, 2 Curado I series, and 1 Curado 70 series. All of those Shimano reels have centrifugal braking systems with and an external "fine" adjustment dial. Not a single one of these reels has a single magnet anywhere inside of them. Trust me. 

 

As for line, use whatever you prefer. No single line casts further than another. A proper rod for the lure weight you are using will effect casting distance more than anything. 

Haha, indeed sir, indeed! Thanks for that further clarification.  I think I'm back down to earth now... :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I own all four. Speaking to the Zillion vs Mgl chronarch it simply comes to comfort, Zillion wins there and that’s because I’ve fished with it more. The Chronarch does have its own place and will probably be a favorite. 

 

Tatula SV vs Curado K is much closer, love both. However I would still have to give the edge to Tatula simply because I’ve owned it longer and am more comfortable with the workings. I will say that Curado K will handle bigger baits better and be a bit more versitale. 

 

All four serve a purpose and will be a great reel for the price point. Cannot go wrong with either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NathanDLTH said:

I own all four. Speaking to the Zillion vs Mgl chronarch it simply comes to comfort, Zillion wins there and that’s because I’ve fished with it more. The Chronarch does have its own place and will probably be a favorite. 

 

Tatula SV vs Curado K is much closer, love both. However I would still have to give the edge to Tatula simply because I’ve owned it longer and am more comfortable with the workings. I will say that Curado K will handle bigger baits better and be a bit more versitale. 

 

All four serve a purpose and will be a great reel for the price point. Cannot go wrong with either.

Thanks NDLTH,

I envy you! Since you have them all, who is the overall cast length winner (considering they are on the same or similar rods)? Casting length is my overall main objective here.  Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Chronarch and 2 Tatula SV's. The Chronarch is nice but I really don't think it's worth double the price of the SV. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LonnieP said:

I have a Chronarch and 2 Tatula SV's. The Chronarch is nice but I really don't think it's worth double the price of the SV. 

Thanks LP,

Sorry to keep asking but, from your experience, which casts further (assuming the reels are paired with the same or near equal rod)?  Thanks again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I test them with the same rod in the back yard one day. Both were spooled with 12lb P-line tacticle floro. Throwing a 1/2 ounce trap they both cast pretty close to the same distance , the Chronarch seemed to be a little further, but I'd say they were within 5 ft of each other. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LonnieP said:

I test them with the same rod in the back yard one day. Both were spooled with 12lb P-line tacticle floro. Throwing a 1/2 ounce trap they both cast pretty close to the same distance , the Chronarch seemed to be a little further, but I'd say they were within 5 ft of each other. 

Cool cool.  Well thank you again and I will make a decision in the next week or two...

 

...now the other challenge is rods, most likely Fenwick but I love me some St Croix rods too... :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to you tube, a certain Orange reel with no ball bearings should be your only consideration if distance is your primary concern. Pretty sure I don't believe it, but that's what they say. It might only last a week, but it will be a hell of a week! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Tim Kelly said:

According to you tube, a certain Orange reel with no ball bearings should be your only consideration if distance is your primary concern. Pretty sure I don't believe it, but that's what they say. It might only last a week, but it will be a hell of a week! :)

Seems like not only 13 sponsors are raving but so are unbiased reviewrs. I watched a guy rust normally only uses Shimanos but feel in love with that orange reel. But I also agree that I don't think it's built to last.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know anything about fishing with oranges :-)

 

On a serious side, I'd like to see the longevity first.  If they hold up then it's one heck of an appealing reel...

 

Gonna stick with Daiwa or Shimano for now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, cabled70 said:

Thanks NDLTH,

I envy you! Since you have them all, who is the overall cast length winner (considering they are on the same or similar rods)? Casting length is my overall main objective here.  Thanks again!

Honestly, similar rod with similar line and lure, I’d say the Zillion and Curado K. Both for whatever reason throw lures better. I had a Aldebaran and that took little effort to throw a bait any distance, maybe just the way they are. Now my Tatulas are my workhorse reels, I own three of them. Use them for frogging/pitching, topwater/jigs, cranks and jerks. 

 

My reels go:

tatula sv 6:3

tatula sv 7:3:1

tatula sv 8:1:1

Zillion 6:3:1

Curado K 6:2:1

Chronarch 7:1:1

 

I’ve owned a Abu ProMax, Chronarch Ci4, Lews Tournament Speed Spool, Daiwa Luguna, A n C, and a Curado I. Didn’t care for Curado I. My Abu experience is meh, don’t like their reels. Ci4 wasn’t what I hoped for. Best bang for your buck was the Lews before I gave it to a friend. My A n C were good, but the Daiwa hype was good and I feel head over heals for the Tatulas. Really, I’m a reel junky, love trying stuff out and it gets bad when something catches my eye. Right now I have my sights set on a Steez A TWS, deeper spool then the SV and bigger knobs. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    bass fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing rods

    fishing rods


    fishing rods

    fishing reels
    fishing gear

    Truck Caps

    fishing reels
    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×