livemusic

New types of batteries for new boat

I have never used the newer technology batteries, AGM or whatever they're called. All I know is they cost more. Do you think they are better and if so, why?

Also, if you were outfitting a new this-is-my-last-boat boat, what type would you put in there for cranking and for 24v trolling setup? If it matters, I fish in north Louisiana.

I purchased a new boat about a year ago so this is exactly what I did.

3 group 31 AGM batteries, two for trolling motor and the other for starter/electronics.

They will go thru more charging cycles, don't have the performance dropoff, you can install upside down or sideways if you need to, no acid to get over your boat, no maintenance other than charging.....

• Like 1

Considering AGM batteries cost on average at least twice (or more) what regular lead acid batteries cost and although they do last longer, they don't last twice as long, I have stayed with regular lead acid batteries for my boat.

• Like 2

I switched to AGMs about 5 years ago.  They are completely maintenance free.  I don't ever want wet cells again.

• Like 1

The newest technology in marine deep cycle batteries are lithium-ion, light weight, long lasting and expensive, over 10 year life.

AGM's are a generation of newer technology of maintenance free batteries, heavier then most wet cell batteries with longer hours of use and no flinders to leak or out gas, reducing corrosion, over 5 year life.

Gel type wet cell batteries are another maintenance free battery less use hours and will out gas cussing corrosion, moderate price, under 3 year life.

Wet cell batteries the oldest technology suspect to plate oxidation low liquids level due to evaporation during charging, out basing during charging and severe corrosion, less expensive initial cost, about 2to 3 year life depending on carefull maintenance.

I use AGM, VMax Tank that are over 10 years in use. Before AGM's I used Trojan SCS wet cell batteries with a watering system and will never go back to wet cells.

Tom

I own 3 7 year old Cabelas group 30 AGMs and I love them. I come home, plug in the BPS onboard charger and forget them. Next day I pull the cord, wrap it up and put my boat away.  I open the battery compartment maybe 12 times a year to be sure nothing terrible is going on that I do not know about and that is it. I am going to have to replace these some day soon but heck I put them in service in 2010.

Have no complaints with my AGM. To me, this battery is less pricey over time than a standard battery because of its number of life cycles.

Something to remember, if you are outfitting an older boat (mine is a 2005) AGM's require a different charging profile than wet cells.  I have a Sears PM1 (last of the last) for my cranking/accessories and 3 wet cells for my TM.  My factory charger gets my wet cells to 100% but my AGM to only 90%.  I have to top off my AGM with a portable that I have that has an AGM setting.  Or....I could get up off my wallet and replace my 4 bank charger but I am cheap and will continue to top of the AGM. 

Special Note: If you have an older charger not programmed for AGM, some you can send back to the manufacturer and have the profile updated.  Continued charging of AGM's where they are not fully charged will shorten the life of the battery.  I was told by a Regional Sears representative that the reason for the discontinuation of the PM1 was the number of returns and that was due to inadequate charging.   

On 1/22/2018 at 11:45 AM, Scott F said:

Considering AGM batteries cost on average at least twice (or more) what regular lead acid batteries cost and although they do last longer, they don't last twice as long, I have stayed with regular lead acid batteries for my boat.

That's where I landed.

...but I did go with an AGM for my electronics.