Jump to content
ghost

What Line Casts Better? Braid, Copoly, Mono or Flouro???

Recommended Posts

I've been using braid on all my reels and I've been quite happy with casting distance. I use either 40 or 30 lb braid, mostly PP. I do use some other braids, but I like PP the best.

 

I have one reel that I spooled 15 lb P-line CXX. I haven't used a non braided line in so long. 

 

So it got me to thinking. 40 lb braid is 10 lb copoly/mono/flouro in diameter. Well for the most part, I know some nylon lines vary in diameter, but in general; 40 lb braid is 10 lb in mono. Braid is much more limp than mono and does not have memory.

 

Which of the lines mentioned would cast better, farther, easier? As I mentioned, I'm used to braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid cast the furthest without question. IMO, mono is the "best" casting overall as far as handling and casting distance in combination (in bass fishing sizes anyways). 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid, the farthest in terms of casting, even forgetting test strength and comparing it straight up, that is, diameter to diameter with the other lines. But, on bait casters, you will run into some possible handling issues if you use a too light braid. And, lighter braids can create the occasional wind knot and also wrap around rod tips at times. Neither, in my mind, is all that big a deal. 

 

Agreed, that modern monofilament lines are superb for casting and ease of use. I love Sufix Elite monofilament as it behaves so well. Some people try too hard to use expensive fluorocarbon lines in my opinion. I have fallen into this category personally.

 

No experience with co-polymers but full acknowledgement that several have great reputations.

 

Fluorocarbon lines, for most people, will create the most cast handling issues. Some are softer than others, cast better, others are stiffer and more geared toward leader usage.

 

For spinning reels, I think braid is the way to go and you can get away with super light test strengths. I use 2 lbs. test Sufix Nanobraid on a few reels and I'd say it has the breaking strength of 8 lbs. mono. One could use 6 or even perhaps 4 and never worry about breakage on spinning tackle. Here, I use fluorocarbon leaders to braid in many circumstances.

 

Brad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stick with braid.  In my experience, it casts further, and is much easier to handle.  It gives better hook setting authority, better strength and sensitivity.  I use braid or braid to leader on everything for these reasons.

 

Give me a spool of Power Pro or J Braid and I'm happy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid by a long shot. 20 lb braid has the diameter of 8 lb mono, but the strength of over 20 lb mono. But it has another attractive property. It all but eliminates spinning gear line twist. For that reason, a lot of people, yours truly included, use only braid for the main line on bass spinning gear. If I need another type of line for the technique, I tie on a leader.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never tried to discover which type cast the furthest.  Some of my longest cast have been with 40# Sufix Performance, but I think the rod and lure had more to do with that than which kind of line I was using.  I've also made casts with Sufix Elite using a 3/4 oz. spinnerbait on a 7'6" Zillion HF rod that was long enough I'd probably had a hard time setting the hook.  A Primmus spooled with 12# AN40 on a 7' ML Hurricane Redbone (3/8-3/4 oz.) really launches a 3/8 oz. popper.  An OG Fuego with 10# fluoro has made some long casts on a 7' MF rod.  So on and so forth.

 

Two days ago I was fishing 40# braid on a spinning reel, MH rod rated 1/8-3/4 oz. with a 4/0 hook and 10.5 inch ribbontail worm.  All the baitcast rods I keep here in Florida cast the same lure farther....whether with braid or something else.  Yesterday I used an older 7' MF Fenwick Elite Tech to easily cast a 1/0 EWG hook and 5 inch finesse worm further than I had been able to cast the larger set up with the other spinning rod.  Size of braid unknown as it came with the reel I was using.

 

Personally I choose line depending on where I plan on using it.  My preference is a mono or co-polymer for most reels.  I know braid does better on a spinning reel, but I still like nylon lines on some.  I grew up using Trilene XL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My longest casting setup defies logic.  It's a 6'2" MXF rod with 20# Tuf-Line Supercast.  That thing will throw a Sammy or a Popmax a mile.  I'd braid on a spinning reel would be the longest caster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, J Francho said:

My longest casting setup defies logic.  It's a 6'2" MXF rod with 20# Tuf-Line Supercast.  That thing will throw a Sammy or a Popmax a mile.  I'd braid on a spinning reel would be the longest caster.

I'd agree that defies logic.  What rod is that?  Do you think the line helps achieve that distance?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghost said:

I've been using braid on all my reels and I've been quite happy with casting distance. I use either 40 or 30 lb braid, mostly PP. I do use some other braids, but I like PP the best.

 

I have one reel that I spooled 15 lb P-line CXX. I haven't used a non braided line in so long. 

 

So it got me to thinking. 40 lb braid is 10 lb copoly/mono/flouro in diameter. Well for the most part, I know some nylon lines vary in diameter, but in general; 40 lb braid is 10 lb in mono. Braid is much more limp than mono and does not have memory.

 

Which of the lines mentioned would cast better, farther, easier? As I mentioned, I'm used to braid.

It just so happens that I tested 30lb. braid vs. 10 lb. Izorline XXX yesterday.  I was using identical Daiwa Tatula 100HL reels on the same rod (Daiwa Ardito 7' MHF) and a 3/8 oz. casting weight.  The braid easily out-distanced the mono in this case.

 

Tight lines,

Bob

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

I'd agree that defies logic.  What rod is that?  Do you think the line helps achieve that distance?

 

I think it's just a combination of the right rod, a screaming reel, the exact right weighted bait, aerodynamics, and casting technique.  I use a nasty, heavy, overhead, snap cast.  It's an old pre IPC Avid AC62MXF.  It was a demo rod, with hand written specs on it.  I've had SC rebuild it twice for me.  The reel is a fairly stock purple Alphas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, J Francho said:

 

I think it's just a combination of the right rod, a screaming reel, the exact right weighted bait, aerodynamics, and casting technique.  I use a nasty, heavy, overhead, snap cast.  It's an old pre IPC Avid AC62MXF.  It was a demo rod, with hand written specs on it.  I've had SC rebuild it twice for me.  The reel is a fairly stock purple Alphas.

Nice!  Love my purple Alphas...both are stock.  I bought one of Fenwick's 6'3" casting rods from FFO on closeout.  I'd like to get a little more distance with it.  I've only fished with one other person that was using baitcast gear, but have seen a few others while on the water.  Tomustang from here is the guy I fished with.  Has the strongest cast I've every seen....not that I've seen that many.  I'm sure I couldn't cast the same distance as either of you using the same gear.  :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid will cast farther but I usually never cast any farther than I do with 6 to 8lb mono anyway.  All things being equal I still prefer mono, but it's hard to argue against braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Braid casts further, and is not prone to line twist issues so it casts the best on spinning gear too. On casting gear, mono birds nests the least and is easiest to pull a birds nest out, although braid still casts further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×