bendings1

Trying to find bass

The other day I went fishing and it was a pretty rough day. First I forgot my lowrance for the boat so I looked at navionics on my phone and tried to find some decent coves on a cold and windy day. I tried a underspin, jig, Carolina rig and then finally a drop shot. I finally started getting nips on the drop shot but no takes. I decided to change colors and sizes a few times because the water was pretty stained. I finally hooked a fish and it was a black crappie. He was nice for a crappie but I want bass. Does crappie mean I'm in the right area or the wrong area? I was fishing shallower than I realized because I ended up getting the boat stuck on the bottom for a moment? Are the nearby just a little deeper? I know I need to use a bigger lure but it's one of the few things I've used to catch bass. I'm pretty sure every bass I've caught this year is on the drop shot and I'm sure most of it is because it's dummy proof and I'm not good enough with other techniques. But I need help, tips, suggestions, anything! Thanks!

Georgia this time of the year, Im guessing those bass are transitioning to the shallows and probably looking for the warmest water they can find. I would start with Shallow Squarebill Crankbaits in 3-5 feet and as the weather warms, i would look for Bass sunning around wood cover with 1/4oz jigs, Trick Worms or Senkos. However, having never been on the lake i cant say for sure what phase these fish will be in. But give it a try and good luck !

West Point lake on Georgia-Alabama border is an large size excellent bass with lots of arms, bays, coves, cover, structure to decipher with no easy answer. To try and help you what area do you fish at?

Tom

9 hours ago, Active_Outdoors said:

Im guessing those bass are transitioning to the shallows and probably looking for the warmest water they can find

On 3/26/2018 at 11:18 PM, bendings1 said:

But I need help, tips, suggestions, anything! Thanks!

There are just so many things to try and thats what you should do . Fish steep banks , flat banks , points , humps , grass , lay-downs... with lures that fish those areas well .  if you watch pros practice fishing on  YouTube thats what they do . Eliminate water and try to make   good decisions . On the Bassmaster magazine articles " A   day on the lake" they just go fishing and usually end up catching fish a different way then they started . 

As far as catching that crappie , I would just ignore it . Bass and crappie sometimes use the same spot , cover...or pull out the crappie rod .

fwiw, here is what i would do. fish the points at the mouth of those coves you mentioned. keep the boat in about 20-25 fow, throw towards the shore and slowly drag a t rigged plastic back to the boat. not every point is gonna hold fish but many do. fish them thoroughly. try other points further back in the cove too. if you get bit once, there may be more fish in the vicinity. this is a very effective pattern this time of year and quite easy for anyone. good luck.

• Like 1

Spotted bass have been eating shakeyheads head trick worms on rocky points on West Point.Folks have been catching Largemouth shallow in the pockets on crankbaits like a Bandit 200. look for red clay banks.Once you find the largemouth you can pickem apart on worms and jigs.Good luck Hoss.

• Like 1