Jump to content
badgerboyng

Swimbait / swimjig colors for smallmouth

Recommended Posts

This year, I'm planning on using a lot of swimbaits for smallmouth. Both as swim jig trailers and on their own. I have read many posts saying that green pumpkin, white, and black-blue are all one needs. However, I have also seen many posts suggesting bright and bold colors for smallmouth. Any suggestions on swimbait colors for smallmouth? Or for swim jig colors, which have a wider range of colors? Also, are there certain times when bright obnoxious colors thrive over the basic 3 colors? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favorite colors are a shad color and a bluegill color swim jig, but on swimbaits, I love bluegill flash and any number of RI Little Dipper colors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smallmouth love stuff with chartreuse on it no matter the water clarity. A bluegill themed swim jig combined with a green pumpkin trailer whose tail has been dipped in chart. dye will be a good all around choice from ultra clear water to anything short of chocolate milk colored muddy water.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently bought some packs of RI little dippers. One color was called small mouth magic. I have not had a chance to try them yet see if they are any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

is there any color a smallmouth won't attack?  The seem less picky to me even than Largemouth.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For swimbaits, I use sexy shad or white when it's sunny and green pumpkin when it's cloudy or dark. Weather and time of day can have a very big effect on their color and bait preference. Even if the sun goes behind a cloud for a few minutes, I'll switch colors.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, MIbassyaker said:

is there any color a smallmouth won't attack?  The seem less picky to me even than Largemouth.

That's my exp. as well. The biggest problem with smallmouth...at least in the lakes I fish, is finding them. Largemouth are way more patternable location wise....but often stubborn to bite. Smallmouth can be on fire in one area and would bite a wacky rigged shoe string, and then vanish. And it might be weeks before they are in that area again.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For smallmouth - pink or chartreuse with a dark head if there's any color to the water, green  pumpkin with copper or gold  flake if not. Or the reverse.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Mn and Ontario a black jig head with an orange tail is quite effective 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 9:46 PM, MIbassyaker said:

is there any color a smallmouth won't attack?  The seem less picky to me even than Largemouth.

I fish a clear river and have found this to be true as well. With that said, I normally fish Ayu, Smallmouth Magic and K's Magic (either Keitech SI FAT or BPS Speed Shad).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Although I do fish Keitech baits, a 5" Swim Senko should be considered as well ..... Green Pumpkin w/ Black Flake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I'm presenting swimjigs for smallies here, it's almost always in & around shallow to mid depth cover.

Depending on the season & the body of water, there's usually at least a few, yellow perch, bluegill & or pumpkinseed in the area as well.  That drives my swimjig size, color/pattern & trailer choice.

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

 

 

 

5acd57263b083_SMBSwimjig3.jpg.013522325318b1a387c47bb19b74c006.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A-Jay said:

When I'm presenting swimjigs for smallies here, it's almost always in & around shallow to mid depth cover.

Depending on the season & the body of water, there's usually at least a few, yellow perch, bluegill & or pumpkinseed in the area as well.  That drives my swimjig size, color/pattern & trailer choice.

Nice and simple, all variations of green pumpkin. I was thinking that a green pumpkin swim jig with a bit of blue in the skirt and a green pumpkin trailer to imitate bluegill and another one with an orange belly on the skirt and a sungill trailer to imitate perch would set me up pretty nicely. 

 

When you're not using a swim jig to target smallies in shallow cover, do you ever use swimbaits in deeper water? If so, does your color selection for that differ from green pumpkin? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found out with a sparse skirt on your jig with a swimbait trailer the skirt will flare and pulsate. Gives it a crankbait wobble.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, badgerboyng said:

Nice and simple, all variations of green pumpkin. I was thinking that a green pumpkin swim jig with a bit of blue in the skirt and a green pumpkin trailer to imitate bluegill and another one with an orange belly on the skirt and a sungill trailer to imitate perch would set me up pretty nicely. 

 

When you're not using a swim jig to target smallies in shallow cover, do you ever use swimbaits in deeper water? If so, does your color selection for that differ from green pumpkin? 

Sometimes ~  I'm fishing very clear water most times. 

And while color plays 'a role' - it may not be the most important factor when determining if I get bit or not.

A bait's size, profile, Running depth, speed & action all seem like things I need to get right as well.

Most times, if I keep the color mostly muted & natural (with a little Chartreuse & or Orange)  and focus on the Bold text, I do OK.

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, InFishingWeTrust said:

Keitechs sungill has been my best producer for smallmouths. 

I have tried many different colors for smallmouth, and hands down the best I have found is the sungill.  I think the color best matches the yellow perch and small walleye that these Springtime SMB love to eat.  Crayfish are still dormant and Bluegill are still out deep. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, 8pt172 said:

I have tried many different colors for smallmouth, and hands down the best I have found is the sungill.  I think the color best matches the yellow perch and small walleye that these Springtime SMB love to eat.  Crayfish are still dormant and Bluegill are still out deep. 

I agree. They work just as well for large mouths to. That and the gold flash minnow are my go to colors. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a lot of Big Joshy swimbaits in the creeks and rivers I fish. They really like the more natural colors like smoke shad, clearwater shad, and green gizzard color. When they don't want to hit those though, the bright colors seem to be the ticket. I like to throw chartreuse shad, perch, and silktreuse. I typically throw them with a jighead, but drop shot works well to, especially in the early spring when they are still in wintering holes. I mainly use the 2.75" size and 3.25" size. They also make a 5" but I haven't tried them. Here is the website if you haven't heard of them.

 

http://www.bigjoshyswimbaits.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BuckeyeFishing said:

I use a lot of Big Joshy swimbaits in the creeks and rivers I fish. They really like the more natural colors like smoke shad, clearwater shad, and green gizzard color. When they don't want to hit those though, the bright colors seem to be the ticket. I like to throw chartreuse shad, perch, and silktreuse. I typically throw them with a jighead, but drop shot works well to, especially in the early spring when they are still in wintering holes. I mainly use the 2.75" size and 3.25" size. They also make a 5" but I haven't tried them. Here is the website if you haven't heard of them.

 

http://www.bigjoshyswimbaits.com/

I haven't heard of that brand, I'll check them out! Welcome to the forum!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here in Michigan I do well with bright pink lures for smallies. The large mouth don’t seem to like it very much tho

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/15/2018 at 2:59 PM, Bronzeback23 said:

Here in Michigan I do well with bright pink lures for smallies. The large mouth don’t seem to like it very much tho

I do well with the Hot Pink x rap

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lots of good suggestions, but I think simplicity goes pretty far.  A swim jig isn't my first choice in heavily stained water unless they aren't active enough to bite a spinnerbait/chatterbait, so I don't reach for black swim jigs that often.  Generally, I fish mostly either white, or something likely to match the forage in whatever body of water I'm fishing.  The fish do not care how many strands are in your jig's skirt, if it's Arkansas Red Craw or Red Arkansas Craw or Red (A Craw Formely From Arkansas) in color, or if you've trimmed exactly 3 bristles from the weed guard.  95% of the time, a "close enough" color presented well will outfish a perfect color presented poorly/ lazily. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×