WRangler506

Which cranks are tight or wide wobble?

Someone stole my tackle bag last summer from my boat, so Im literally starting over. 

Trying not to break the bank here, but which crankbaits are tight wobble and which are wide wobble? When is the best time/water temp for each?

I think I just need to pick one series for tight and one for wide, and then different depth/color of each.

Im looking at little Johns, Rapala DTs, SK XDs, and bandits. I was going to get a few of each, but that sure added up quick....

Someone stole my tackle bag last summer from my boat, so Im literally starting over. 

Sorry to hear about your tackle bag.

Typically, in colder weather like spring and fall, a tighter wobble will work well and in warmer weather, a wide wobble will work well. There are some exceptions to this, like early fall when the fish are aggressive and it's not too cold yet, a wide wobble should still be rather effective. Also if I am throwing in muddier water, I may try a wider wobble as they will disrupt more water.

My personal favorite for a wide wobble is the Norman Fat Boy crankbaits which have a wider wobble than most crankbaits moves a lot of water. Plus they're rather affordable. For a tighter wobble, I like the Lucky Craft RTOs or the River2Sea, or the Skeet Reese's for even less wobble.

The other thing is you will want different depth crankbaits as well. I don't do many deep divers, but I would probably start with some with a nice tight wobble first.

• Like 1

All the cranks you listed are considered wide wobblers. Tight wobblers usually have flat sides..bandit's flat max, rapalas' shad rap , you get the idea. 

7 hours ago, detroit1 said:

All the cranks you listed are considered wide wobblers. Tight wobblers usually have flat sides..bandit's flat max, rapalas' shad rap , you get the idea. 

Well I did say "tighter wobble", technically not tight wobblers but they do have flat sides but a little extra height sort of like a Rat'l trap with a lip and much less wobble than the Fat Boy or even a KVD. (It's possible I have the model wrong on the Lucky Craft too, but I'm 99% sure its the RTO).

I rarely use a true tight wobbler. A lot of people tell me they have great luck with them in lakes I fish at, but I never do.

Flat sided crankbaits are known to produce big stringers at certain water temperatures in this neck of the woods. I think it’s about 52-54 spring or fall 

A favorite of mine in colder water in the spring is the Wiggle Wart.  A classic tight wobbler...