Is there a place in your lineup for a medium light casting rod? If so what lures, presentations?

I admittedly use rods that are a little overkill the majority of the time because I fish around more cover than anything and need to direct fish away quickly but have recently started using rods with more tip to them and love the difference it makes in casting. 

I recently Bought a rod lot that included a medium light casting rod that I believe is marketed toward top water but it feels way more whippy than what I'm used to even more than my crank rods. What are your thoughts on these light action bait casting rods?

I bought a black BPS Carbonlite 6'6" ML Fast casting

rod to pair with one of my Chronarch 50e reels (now

down to one).

Works fantastic with weightless 4" senkos, 4.75" Zoom

Finesse worms, Yamamoto Shad Shape Worms, and a

great many other "lighter" baits.

• Like 2

I own one BPS Extreme ML 6' rod. It is awesome for throwing Reaction Innovation" Little Dippers or Skinny Dippers unweighted or with a light belly weighted hook.  I am sure it would handle something like Sencos or light weighted texas rigged worms. I normally have a Skinny Dipper rigged on mine.

• Like 2

If it is a fast taper with a light tip then it be well suited to small jigs and plastics.  Some of my favorites are an 1/8 oz spider head on 4 inch swimming dinger or 1/8 oz bitsy bug with trailer fished over weed beds.

• Like 1

I have a 7' ML/F Fenwick that is my BFS rod. I fish 1/8 and 3/16oz homemade jigs on it. 

• Like 1

I use a carbonlite 2.0 with a tat sv for Ned rigs it works great for me. I just don't like spinning gear. 

• Like 1

The stanDard fluke and trick worms along with some dropshot.  The fluke is the hardest for me to cast and can test your skill/sanity.

• Like 1

I use a ML Gloomis Bronzeback 6'9" with a Curado 70 XG and 6# fluro for Ned Rig 3/32 oz and heavier.

• Like 1

What rod did you buy?  I may have gone overboard on ML casting rods.  I have 6 MLF and no two tips flex the same.  Of course that is to be expected in the case of two of the rods because they are crankbait rods.  However, even they flex differently because one is rated 1/16-1/2 oz. while the other is 1/4-1/2 oz. and they come from different companies.  I wouldn't call any of them whippy.

EDIT:  BTW, I went the opposite direction from you.  I grew up fishing rods (spinning) that were on the Light - ML side.  When I got back into fishing I went with baitcast reels and Medium and MH rods with MH being in the majority.  Now I am headed back to ML for some of my fishing.

Its an older quantum tour pt Paul Elious edition 7ft ML fast

25 minutes ago, new2BC4bass said:

What rod did you buy?  I may have gone overboard on ML casting rods.  I have 6 MLF and no two tips flex the same.  Of course that is to be expected in the case of two of the rods because they are crankbait rods.  However, even they flex differently because one is rated 1/16-1/2 oz. while the other is 1/4-1/2 oz. and they come from different companies.  I wouldn't call any of them whippy.

EDIT:  BTW, I went the opposite direction from you.  I grew up fishing rods (spinning) that were on the Light - ML side.  When I got back into fishing I went with baitcast reels and Medium and MH rods with MH being in the majority.  Now I am headed back to ML for some of my fishing.

Nope.  Not familiar with that rod.  My only Tour PT is a 6'10" HF....which I have to say I like a lot.

19 hours ago, Angry John said:

The stanDard fluke and trick worms along with some dropshot.  The fluke is the hardest for me to cast and can test your skill/sanity.

Hah, I use a M/XF for flukes and have no casting issues, but for trick worms I step down to a ML/L rod to get the casting distance and accuracy I want.  

20 hours ago, Angry John said:

Have you tried something like a 1600C?  Is the rod loading properly?  Some can cast 1/8 oz. on a MH rod.  I ain't one of them.  :(

I have a few ML casting rods that I use for ned rigs, grubs, trick worms, flick shakes etc. I prefer casting gear over spinning gear for everything except drop shots.

It's light power, not action.  Action is described by fast, X-fast, moderate, etc.  The lighter power casting rods are ideal for casting light cranks.  To cast well a rod must be loaded properly on the cast, and the heavier power rods won't load well with light lures.  Moderate actions are good for surface and cranks due to their being more forgiving on the take, but less ideal for finesse techniques.   Might work very well for Ned rigs if you can cast the light lure.  Maybe the bigger Ned.

7 hours ago, MickD said:

It's light power, not action.  Action is described by fast, X-fast, moderate, etc.  The lighter power casting rods are ideal for casting light cranks.  To cast well a rod must be loaded properly on the cast, and the heavier power rods won't load well with light lures.  Moderate actions are good for surface and cranks due to their being more forgiving on the take, but less ideal for finesse techniques.   Might work very well for Ned rigs if you can cast the light lure.  Maybe the bigger Ned.

I try not to let that distinction bother me, but admit it often does.  Professionals on TV and youtube make the same mistake.  You can read rod reviews on this site (and others) and come across the same error.  I have no idea what a Medium Heavy (etc.) action is.

11 hours ago, fishwizzard said:

Hah, I use a M/XF for flukes and have no casting issues, but for trick worms I step down to a ML/L rod to get the casting distance and accuracy I want.  

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zoom_Fluke_10pk/descpage-ZMF.html

This is the fluke I am talking about not a super fluke.

12 hours ago, Angry John said:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Zoom_Fluke_10pk/descpage-ZMF.html

This is the fluke I am talking about not a super fluke.

A non-super fluke!?!?!  Madness!  

Honestly I had never see one of those before.  

1 hour ago, fishwizzard said:

A non-super fluke!?!?!  Madness!  

Honestly I had never see one of those before.  

A superfluke I fish on a mhf.

You can use a ML casting rod for anything you use a ML spinning rod for. I mainly use mine for small tubes and drop shot though

I'd think a ML power casting rod would be an excellent choice for a spybait and that technique. Too, as already mentioned, bass often like small presentations and I'd build a collection of smaller lures to throw on a ML. There are, for example, mini-sized chatterbaits, some smallish spinnerbaits, inline spinners, light crankbaits, etc. A ML power will handle those really well!  Brad     P.S. Yes, Ned Rigs, Drop shots and weightless plastics, too.