Jump to content
mrcimon

Can a rod prevent a cast from not going far?

Recommended Posts

I picked up a St. Croix Premier casting rod Medium/Heavy Fast.  I paired a Daiwa Zillion SV TW to it, and it's just not getting out there.  I threw my Revo SX on it and the same problem.  The revo is awesome on the Medium fast Ike rod.  

 

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm starting to learn to fish again after many years.  

 

Thanks for the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It all depends on the weight of the bait you are trying to throw...what did you have tied on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually 1/2oz buzz bait, frogs, 3/4oz texas rig.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IIRC that Ike rod is a modfast tip (correct me if im wrong). It should sling 1/2 oz lures farther than a MH/F rod considering all things equal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sdsc357 said:

IIRC that Ike rod is a modfast tip (correct me if im wrong). It should sling 1/2 oz lures farther than a MH/F rod considering all things equal.

Gotcha, so going Fast to Moderate provides more bend in the tip and helps with sending a lighter lure further?  So should I stick to heavier lures with the fast rod, 1oz area?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mrcimon said:

Gotcha, so going Fast to Moderate provides more bend in the tip and helps with sending a lighter lure further?  So should I stick to heavier lures with the fast rod, 1oz area?

 

I personally use a Medium Heavy/Fast and I've never had trouble casting lures in the 1/4 - 1/2 oz. range with it. You could try backing off the spool tension on your reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rod and casting mechanics are 90 percent of casting distance. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, CroakHunter said:

Rod and casting mechanics are 90 percent of casting distance. 

This. If the reel is properly set, and the weight thrown is within the range of the rods limits, the only thing left that could influence casting distance, especially if it’s less than it should be, it must most likely be the angler’s mechanics. Please make sure your rod is being is properly loaded by the weight of the lure.

 

oops. One last thing. Line type can also affect casting distance. Generally, thinner lines cast farther. In other words, don’t expect 20# mono to cast the same lure as far as  say 6# mono. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old Browning rod. It does not matter which reel I put on it or what weight lure I use. It will not cast as good as my other setups. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, islandbass said:

This. If the reel is properly set, and the weight thrown is within the range of the rods limits, the only thing left that could influence casting distance, especially if it’s less than it should be, it must most likely be the angler’s mechanics. Please make sure your rod is being is properly loaded by the weight of the lure.

 

oops. One last thing. Line type can also affect casting distance. Generally, thinner lines cast farther. In other words, don’t expect 20# mono to cast the same lure as far as  say 6# mono. 

I’m certain I’ve set the reel properly.  I’m using 15 pound braid. The rod is rated 3/8 to 1oz.  I’ll try loosening the spool tension.  

 

I’ve also got a Bass Mojo that’s a fast tip and is great. Though from reading it seems there is no industry standard on power and speed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mrcimon said:

I’m certain I’ve set the reel properly.  I’m using 15 pound braid. The rod is rated 3/8 to 1oz.  I’ll try loosening the spool tension.  

 

I’ve also got a Bass Mojo that’s a fast tip and is great. Though from reading it seems there is no industry standard on power and speed. 

How did you set up the Zillion SV TW?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BaitFinesse said:

How did you set up the Zillion SV TW?  

Set the brake to 0, set spool tension to lure letting it drop at a good pace. Raised brake to half way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mrcimon said:

Set the brake to 0, set spool tension to lure letting it drop at a good pace. Raised brake to half way. 

Wrong.  Check "How to" videos Online for Daiwa reels.  Watch the video posted by fishnkamp.

 

 

EDIT:  Yes.  A rod can keep a lure from going far.  It has to load properly.  It isn't always about the action either.  My older ExtraFast Endurance will cast a long ways.  Even so I think some rods are better than others.  If I were going for max distance, I would never grab my original Villain casting rod.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CroakHunter said:

Rod and casting mechanics are 90 percent of casting distance. 

I am much better at casting than actually catching fish. Rod and casting mechanics are 90 percent of casting distance. Definitely.

 

I would expect that rod and reel to cause the spool to uncoil and over run while the lure or bait slows down before ever loading the rod or reel with anything less than 1 ounce. Unless you apply so much brakes that it just can’t cast any distance. I would put 2 ounces as a better weight for casting with that combo using braid. A light mono might get a bit better distance.

 

IMO, light baits need light rods. My casting style makes casting less than 1 ounce with a MH fast rod not possible. Most fast rods rated at over 1/2 ounce will easily cast 2 the way I cast and will do nothing but uncoil my reel with 1/2 or less.  Since it’s casting style and mechanics, the only way to find what works, is trial and error.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mrcimon said:

I picked up a St. Croix Premier casting rod Medium/Heavy Fast.  I paired a Daiwa Zillion SV TW to it, and it's just not getting out there.  I threw my Revo SX on it and the same problem.  The revo is awesome on the Medium fast Ike rod.  

 

I'm sorry for the stupid question, but I'm starting to learn to fish again after many years.  

 

Thanks for the help!

I from the school who follows what the manufacturer rates the rod as...m/h 3/8 - 1 oz. line 10 - 20 #...

 

good fishing...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mrcimon said:

Set the brake to 0, set spool tension to lure letting it drop at a good pace. Raised brake to half way. 

With the SV spools you actually want to run a really loose spool tension.  It sounds crazy and you get a super fast drop with the bait but you want a tiny bit of side to side play in the spool.  These reels basically want no spool tension at all and are controlled by thr magnetic brakes.  Mag brake wise I would put the dial somewhere in the middle as a starting point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, BaitFinesse said:

With the SV spools you actually want to run a really loose spool tension.

^^^^^^

I gained a lot more distance once I set the tension knob really lose, almost to the point it makes an ungodly noise, but go heavier on the Mag Brake dial, 14-16.

 

Some wise information.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, mrcimon said:

I’m certain I’ve set the reel properly.  I’m using 15 pound braid. The rod is rated 3/8 to 1oz.  I’ll try loosening the spool tension.  

 

I’ve also got a Bass Mojo that’s a fast tip and is great. Though from reading it seems there is no industry standard on power and speed. 

15# braid? It’s a miracle you aren’t experiencing line dig, lol. Many people experience line dig with 20# braid on a casting reel. The general rule I mentioned for thinner line was more so for non braid line, so kudos to you for handling it without line dig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, mrcimon said:

Though from reading it seems there is no industry standard on power and speed. 

Yep.  It's what makes getting tackle-obsessed so much fun, every new rod is a surprise! 

10 hours ago, BaitFinesse said:

With the SV spools you actually want to run a really loose spool tension.  It sounds crazy and you get a super fast drop with the bait but you want a tiny bit of side to side play in the spool.  These reels basically want no spool tension at all and are controlled by thr magnetic brakes.  Mag brake wise I would put the dial somewhere in the middle as a starting point.

I am willing to bet this is it, combined with going from a MF to a F action rod.  It seems crazy at first and like you are asking for a backlash, but I would guess that 90% of my reels have SV spools in them and this is how I run them all.  Set the spool to a light wiggle, just enough that you can tell it's moving, then set your brake at max.  Start casting and lower the brake on click every cast.  Once you get about half way it should start opening up and from there just work down until you lose faith in your thumb.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×