Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Original bone Pop R

 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Mike L said:

Original bone Pop R

I never knew they made soft plastic Pop-R's...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

UltraVibe Speed Worm

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, fishballer06 said:

I never knew they made soft plastic Pop-R's...

Opps..That's what happens when I try to read without my glasses!  Sorry

 

Horny Toad

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mike 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BassNJake said:

Keitech noisy flapper

 

image.png.9421c89fb6d4f0f6618932cf093ae3de.png

 

 

Hmmm

I like the way that looks!!

 

 

 

 

Mike

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Mike L said:

Hmmm

I like the way that looks!!

 

 

 

 

Mike

Same here,looks like it's gonna move some water.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge Keitech fan - and the noisy flapper has some advantages.  For one, it is heavy and casts a mile.

 

However, I find it a bit awkward to hook (need a big gap) and I lose smaller fish.

 

If stuck on a deserted island I'd take the good ol' fashioned horny toad over the noisy flapper.  Always effective.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


    Actually Rebel did make a soft plastic pop r. :)

0220181902-1.jpg

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was a big fan of the Zoom Horny Toad until they got so expensive. Really been liking the Yum Tip Toad since it came out though. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still have a stash of the old Yum Buzz Frogs, my favorite followed by the Stanley Ribbit as a close second.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, whitwolf said:


    Actually Rebel did make a soft plastic pop r. :)

0220181902-1.jpg

Gotta love that bargain bin....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, snake95 said:

Huge Keitech fan - and the noisy flapper has some advantages.  For one, it is heavy and casts a mile.

 

However, I find it a bit awkward to hook (need a big gap) and I lose smaller fish.

 

If stuck on a deserted island I'd take the good ol' fashioned horny toad over the noisy flapper.  Always effective.

 

 

One of the reasons I like the Keitech is that it will run right side up almost every time.(rage toad is also pretty good)

The horny toad is about 50/50.

This leads to me hooking bass thru the tongue area causing blood loss and eventual death(in my experience).

I've tried different knots, the hooking of the frog so it has its belly downward, weighted hooks and the double frog hooks.

Keitech solved that by creating a bait that has a heavier bottom than the top, which allows it to run true.

I have not tried the yum tip toad but I'd be willing to bet it runs upside down quite often as well.

 

For a little perspective I went out Sat, Sun and Mon morning from 630ish to noon, I threw the Keitech 90% and I flipped a senko the other 10% of the time. I'm not sure how many casts I made, but it was a lot. This is my typical weekend fishing pattern anytime the water temps are 55 degrees or more unless I am tournament fishing where I would then take seasonal patterns and try to find schools of fish not just the active ones in shallower water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rage toad until I run out of current stock. Yum tip toad will be taking it's place after. Great action and the price is right. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BassNJake said:

One of the reasons I like the Keitech is that it will run right side up almost every time.(rage toad is also pretty good)

The horny toad is about 50/50.

This leads to me hooking bass thru the tongue area causing blood loss and eventual death(in my experience).

I've tried different knots, the hooking of the frog so it has its belly downward, weighted hooks and the double frog hooks.

Keitech solved that by creating a bait that has a heavier bottom than the top, which allows it to run true.

I have not tried the yum tip toad but I'd be willing to bet it runs upside down quite often as well.

Very interesting and thanks for the feedback.  Without question, you fish way more than I could ever dream of and I respect your experience.  I haven't had that kind of regular experience with horny toads flipping over and hooking fish in the tongue.  I use a heavy EWG or occasionally a weighted EWG.  I will re-evaluate and see if I'm remembering this wrong.

 

I also find the Keitech has a major splashdown.  I'm a small-time angler fishing small waters, and feel like the Zoom's more subtle landing is usually a good thing.  Again, I'll re-evaluate.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use an owner weighted twistlock hook 4/0, 3/32oz for the horny toad. Never have a problem with it flipping over. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tip Toad as of late.

IMG_1364-X2.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, snake95 said:

I also find the Keitech has a major splashdown.  I'm a small-time angler fishing small waters, and feel like the Zoom's more subtle landing is usually a good thing.  Again, I'll re-evaluate.

 

 

The keitech is like a bomb landing thats for sure. I often use short pitches around cover or will toss it on the bank to bring it into the water a little stealthier.

 

I have not found one that skips better than the horny toad, so I will use them for that specific technique.

@J Francho said the new yum tip toad was also good for skipping so I will have to give them a try.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BassNJake said:

@J Francho said the new yum tip toad was also good for skipping so I will have to give them a try

This was key in the area I was fishing.  There's lots of overhanging willows - prime areas for bass.  Not sure what it is about willows, but they always hold fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sizmic toad.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DINK WHISPERER said:

Rage toad until I run out of current stock. Yum tip toad will be taking it's place after. Great action and the price is right. 

I normally use Stanley ribbits and have caught really good quality bass with it, not quantity but definitely quality,but ive had so much success with rage craw and rage smokin rooster I figured I would try a few packs of rage toad and rage shad,but yum tip toad is in my TW shopping cart once I go thru all those LoL!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know how I nearly forgot...

 

Bizz Bait's Pad Daddy has also performed really well for me this year.

 

Heft is more comparable to the Crazy Flapper, and it moves a lot of water. 

 

Not quite as pretty as the Flapper, but has a deep hook slot and I feel I get better hookups.

 

Bass love it in our Georgia ponds.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×