Jump to content
Pebbles44

Lead and plastics

Recommended Posts

I live in Wisconsin and always want to get out and fish right as ice breaks is is still breaking. For those of you living in cold climates, you will know the fish ain’t particularly active at this time. Because of this I use a lot of bottom baits and other slow baits. Well for me I realized if it’s not a hunk of lead with a hook or a plastic I don’t throw it. Not even in the summer. Is there anyone that would agree that especially for cold weather climates you really don’t need more than soft plastics and hunks of lead?(jigs,spinner bait, and chatter bait)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In cold water I really like jigging spoons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find a well balanced jerkbait works for me early in the year after ice out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Pacoac10 said:

I find a well balanced jerkbait works for me early in the year after ice out.

I’ve tried a jerk bait but I’ve only come to the idea that a fluke is better in every way. Now I’m NOT an expert on jerkbaits so if someone could tell me what the big difference it would be helpfull 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Pebbles44 said:

I live in Wisconsin and always want to get out and fish right as ice breaks is is still breaking. For those of you living in cold climates, you will know the fish ain’t particularly active at this time. Because of this I use a lot of bottom baits and other slow baits. Well for me I realized if it’s not a hunk of lead with a hook or a plastic I don’t throw it. Not even in the summer. Is there anyone that would agree that especially for cold weather climates you really don’t need more than soft plastics and hunks of lead?(jigs,spinner bait, and chatter bait)

Hello and Welcome to Bass Resource ~ 

 I have had some killer days on the water right at ice out and even with ice still on the lake.

I'm routinely searching for brown bass - and jerkbaits are my tool of choice for these times.

Here's video of a decent day I had with ice still on the lake . . . . 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What’s your jerk bait of choice? I’ve look and they seem pretty pricey. Any good budget baits? Because another reason I many use jigs, spinner baits and plastics is because there cheap. The most I’ve payed for a jig is 2 bucks. And spinner baits are 1 dollar at Walmart. Also what’s your favorite places to throw it? I couldn’t imagine throwing it around cover. That’s why I like a fluke. I can throw it anywhere and it will come out perfectly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Pebbles44 said:

What’s your jerk bait of choice? I’ve look and they seem pretty pricey. Any good budget baits? Because another reason I many use jigs, spinner baits and plastics is because there cheap. The most I’ve payed for a jig is 2 bucks. And spinner baits are 1 dollar at Walmart. Also what’s your favorite places to throw it? I couldn’t imagine throwing it around cover. That’s why I like a fluke. I can throw it anywhere and it will come out perfectly.

This might help ~ 

:smiley:

A-Jay

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well P44 it seems that you have made your mind up so I think this is a mute point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do better with blade baits, JBs, square bills, lipless, and inline spinners than plastics in cold water. If I'm throwing a jig in the cold it will usually have feathers and not plastics.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pebbles44 said:

Well for me I realized if it’s not a hunk of lead with a hook or a plastic I don’t throw it. Not even in the summer.

Funny you mention it because today I was going about my seasonal "pare down lures in prep for 2019 season" and realizing that all I really use are soft plastics (usually TX rigged) and jigs (jig heads with light wire hooks, or skirted jigs with heavier hooks). I like throwing topwater but have yet to catch anything on them. Same with a spinner bait. So yeah you're not alone when it comes to plastics and jigs. Find what works for you and don't worry about the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the year round question, nope to plastics all the time, northwoods bass love lipless and square bills way to much. 

 

Years past chasing WI river smallies, I typically caught more smallies slowly crashing a bandit 100 through the rocks in the spring right after the opener and on an x rap 8 late fall with the air temp in the 30s. During these times plastics got bites, but weren’t as efficient catching fish. 

 

Honestly I think it has more to do with the bodies of water you fish. My home lake is pretty featureless which is perfect for cranks when the weeds are low, rivers where cranks shine long as you are ok with losing some, and reed beds where cranks are a great option. 

 

I try to fish cranks as much much as possible to locate the fish then slow down with plastics if need be. The only side note to this is that northwoods bass really seem to hate cold fronts and won’t chase when holding around cover. At that point plastics are the only way to get them to bite. It sounds like they took some notes from there southern cousins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jig Man said:

Well P44 it seems that you have made your mind up so I think this is a mute point.

I guess I have my ideas but the biggest thing I want an answer to is what’s the difference. Like I would love to be proven wrong because it’s always a joy buying and fishing new tackle. At least the way I understand, they are the same thing pretty much. Any ideas of how y’all use them differently would help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pebbles44 said:

I’ve tried a jerk bait but I’ve only come to the idea that a fluke is better in every way. Now I’m NOT an expert on jerkbaits so if someone could tell me what the big difference it would be helpfull 

Sorta the same principle as a fluke but you get to stay in the strike zone longer.  Sometimes your pauses will take 6 all the way to 15 seconds. Just a matter of finding the right cadence.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Pacoac10 said:

Sorta the same principle as a fluke but you get to stay in the strike zone longer.  Sometimes your pauses will take 6 all the way to 15 seconds. Just a matter of finding the right cadence.

That’s crazy. I almost never pause more then 2 seconds. I might have to try that when I’ve breaks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pebbles44 said:

That’s crazy. I almost never pause more then 2 seconds. I might have to try that when I’ve breaks.

In the right conditions jerkbaits are amazing baits.......like said above you can stay in the strike zone longer.

In early November I was catching big bass in 12 feet of water that were suspended at about 4-5 feet.  If I was using lead and plastics I would have been skunked unless I happened to get lucky enough to have the bait drop right across their nose, and they were in a mood to strike quick..........two mighty big if's...................

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If u are using soft jerkbait, which mfg?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In cold weather, I go with the usual suspects in this order> jerkbait (Lucky Craft 100 SP), jigs, and ribbon tail worms.

 

All are fished slow with long pauses anywhere from *** minutes a cast.

 

Fish tend to slurp up the bait this time of year rather than strike at it.  Slow and patient pays off.  

 

Going out tomorrow.  I will see how things go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing rods

    fishing reels

    fishing forum

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×