paul_rassi

Curado DC vs. Curado K vs. Tranx 200?

Hi everyone, I am looking into purchasing a new baitcasting reel. Target species will be Pike and largemouth/smallmouth bass. Have my sights set on the Curado DC, Curado K, and the Tranx 200. I am wondering if some of you guys have any experience with these three reels and can recommend one over the other?

Thanks!

Unless you're planning on using big swimbaits and very heavy line, the K or DC will be fine.  My preference would be for the DC.

Since the tranx 200 is relatively new the jury is still out on that one. I have a tranx 300 & am very happy with it for throwing larger baits. The curado DC would be a good choice otherwise. 

I really enjoy the Curado DC for long, full casting techniques. Daiwa SV types for lighter weight lures and skipping.

3 hours ago, J Francho said:

Unless you're planning on using big swimbaits and very heavy line, the K or DC will be fine.  My preference would be for the DC.

John

I'm curious, I got a K for Christmas and plan on useing either 20# Flouro or 65# braid on it. 

What is it about the K that you don't recommend it for heavy line??

Mike

• Like 1

I have the K and love it. That said, a guy let me try his dc at the lake one day for a bit and I was sold. That’s gonna be my next reel for the cranking stick I just ordered. 

17 hours ago, Mike L said:

What is it about the K that you don't recommend it for heavy line??

I don't NOT recommend the K.  I was referring line capacity for large diameter lines, like 25# mono. As long as your not trying to bomb a crankbait or swimbait a mile, you'll be fine with either lines. The K is a very good reel.  Since I'd had chance to cast a DC model, that would be my preference.

• Thanks 1

I've had two Ks (201 XG) since they first came out, both spooled with 50# Maxcuatro and have used them on two Amazon trips for throwing 1 1/2 to 2 ounce woodchoppers which is pretty rough on reels. Both have done fine and are a great bang for the buck, also have a TranX 400, Curado dc, three Metanium HGs (two with brass gear swap), Antares HG etc. I was also considering the TranX 200, wondering about casting distance vs. the K.

On January 8, 2019 at 11:51 AM, J Francho said:

I was planning on using maybe 40-50lb braid, and using it on my pike rod in the spring for bigger spinnerbaits/swimbaits (by "bigger" i mean maximum 1oz) and then on either a cranking rod/topwater rod in the summer for bass? 

The K and DC would be fine with that line and 1 oz. baits.  I don't use any special gear when I go for northerns.  MH and H bass gear works fine.  If you want a bigger reel, then get the Tranx.  Sounds like that is what you're heart is set on.  It's not that much bulkier than the other two.

1 hour ago, J Francho said:

The K and DC would be fine with that line and 1 oz. baits.  I don't use any special gear when I go for northerns.  MH and H bass gear works fine.  If you want a bigger reel, then get the Tranx.  Sounds like that is what you're heart is set on.  It's not that much bulkier than the other two.

Okay I see! If you believe the DC would work well with that setup, then I think I will go with the DC. Really interested in trying out the DC system. The only reason i leaned towards the Tranx was worrying about heavier baits but I trust your word on the DC, thanks for the help!

It isn't so much the size of the baits as it is the line capacity.  If you're gonna spool up 25# copoly, and chuck swimbaits, then yeah, and maybe think about the Tranx 300.  You're talking about 50# braid, with around 12# mono in diameter, so you'll be fine.  Shimano gearing on that class a reel will hold up to just about anything.