shootermcbob

jig tying vise?

what vise do you guys use when hand tying your jigs? I would appreciate names and models please. Thank you in advance for help

It depends on the size jigs you are doing and how much you want to spend. I do a lit of hair jigs and finesse jigs with thread and I seldom go over a 4/0 hook but I have done 5/0 and 6/0 hooks as well. For that purpose I really like my Griffin Odyssey Spider but if I was going to do mostly heavy jigs with large hooks I'd go with an Anvil Apex because it is rated up to a 6/0 hook versus 4/0 for the Griffin. Most larger bass jigs I tie with wire so I don't need a vise for that but for the jigs I do the Griffin is fine, for jigs a super expensive vise isn't required but a good vise that rotates really helps so look at the $100 and up price point.

I don't tie a lot of hair jigs, however for the ones I do, I have a Griffin Odyssey Spider vice as well. Very good vice for the money and excellent quality. You will be happy if you are starting out. Especially for hooks that are 4/0 and smaller.

For anything other than small things (like feathered trebles for poppers and the like) I use a needle nose vise grip in a vise. Learned it from a Saltwater lure manufacturer. For small things I have a couple of vises I got a while back, don't ask me the maker or model.

I'm pretty sure mine is a Dan vise.  I haven't seen it in quite a while because I rarely thread tie any more.  You just need a rotary vise of some kind and a good whip finisher.  The two make thread tying very easy and super fast.

A $12 vise I found in the bargain bin at Gander Mountain.

Allen

Rezetti traveller 2300 vise is very versatile.  I don't tie flies smaller than about 8's, but the vise is supposed to go much smaller OK.  Specs say it goes up to 4/0, but I have not tried it.  

I's sure for the size hooks used for bass jigs one could go cheaper, but the recommendation for having a rotating vise is very sound.  

Not sure what your budget is. My Regal Revolution and Peak Jurassic #2 vises are my favorites to tie on. The Peak Jurassic in my opinion is the best vise out there for tying jigs or anything with a heavy hook. It’s an entirely different system in comparison to any other vise. You’ll break a hook before is comes loose in the vise. They are a bit pricey. But I tie A Lot. 

I am looking at a budget of  more like a hundred dollars or so. I just started painting my own hard plastic blanks and am enjoying the heck out of it. At some point, I think I would like to make my own jigs and bladed jigs as well as spinnerbaits and bussbaits. Then I can kick the crap out of the bait monkey and vanquish him forever. 😭

1 hour ago, shootermcbob said:

I am looking at a budget of  more like a hundred dollars or so. I just started painting my own hard plastic blanks and am enjoying the heck out of it. At some point, I think I would like to make my own jigs and bladed jigs as well as spinnerbaits and bussbaits. Then I can kick the crap out of the bait monkey and vanquish him forever. 😭

No you cannot! He will just cause you to spend more money on baitmaking supplies. Next thing you know you will have hundreds more baits that you made that you will never have time to fish. I know because I have made 176 jigs so far this year and do not lose more than 20 a year.

Allen