starkeer

Curado 70 vs Everything Else

I am sure this has been discussed in the past but I am looking for a reel for my new Kistler Helium 3 which I would mainly use as a bottom contact rod. After research and reading through here I am thinking Curado 70 but could be talked into a Chronarch MGL but it seems that is more of a finesse/light bait reel. Am I on the right track or should I be looking elsewhere? I was hoping to spend around $200-$250 but don't have a problem going above that if I find the perfect fit. TIA.

Eric

Curado 70 is a nice reel. So is the Curado K and Daiwa SV. All would be great reels for that rod.

The 70 can regularly be found on Ebay for under $170.00 as can the Tatula SV.

The Curado K around $150.00. Lots of great reels out there these days.

Digitakai has the Scorpion 70/71 for $178.24 with free shipping.  I picked up a 71HG on sale before Christmas from JapanTackle but it wound up costing more than that because I had to pay shipping.  Nice looking reel.  Pretty box, too!  Not spooled yet as it will be a while before I get to use it.

Chronarch MGL is not really a finesse reel. All the reels mentioned are great. Just depends on one's price point.

• Like 2

Have a few 70's and they are excellent reels that are surprisingly versatile. Also been very happy with the K's and MGL's, and as Cosmo Kramer mentioned all of these options are great options.

70 will match or surpass any reel in its price range and hold its own against higher priced reels.

• Like 2

Chronarch MGL is definitely not just for finesse/light lures. I have one on my Helium 3 and it makes a good match.

I sold my Curado and Scorpion 70's so I could buy a Daiwa Zillion SV TWS. If I could do it all over again, I'd have bought 2 Daiwas instead of losing money buying the Shimanos in the first place. 

And now you know why they build Fords, Buicks and Chevys

• Like 1

Curado 70 just has less line capacity I believe.

Depend on how comfortable to palm the reel with your rod. Chronarch is a little bigger than curado. And also line diameter and line capacity you want. Chronarch is 150 size reel but curado is 70 size reel. The biggest line I can use on curado is 0.013” 14lb/#12 fill almost full. I’d have only 10-15yds left after long cast (40-50yds). With 150 size spool I can have 0.015” line diameter and still have plenty left.

I use my bantam mgl for heavy jig but curado 70 for everything else, Texas rig, Senko, Fat Ika. 

BTW they both good all around reel that can handle finesse all the way to heavy jig.

• Like 1