WRangler506

What line on avid x 68 mxf?

I have an avid x 68 mxf and 2500 reel that I currently have some cheap mono on, and i dont like it at all. What line should I be running on this setup for tubes, senkos, dropshot, etc. Braid/leader? How long and what knots? Or flouro? 

I owned the original avid in that  model almost 20yrs ago, and I had it spooled with 10lb trilene xl.  These days I'd pick a fluorocarbon in 8 or 10lb.

I normally run 6-8lb mono for those techniques and sometimes braid if I’m fishing around a lot of grass. But since you don’t like mono I’d try a 10-15lb braid with leader

straight braid of your preference in the 20lb class.  i have been using that set up on a similar rod in the rage series rods for weightless soft plastics for years and have zero complaints.  I don't use a leader and haven't had any issues.

I'm not sure I don't like the mono or just don't love the rod. I fish open water mainly sand gravel and rock bottom.

1 minute ago, flyfisher said:

straight braid of your preference in the 20lb class.  i have been using that set up on a similar rod in the rage series rods for weightless soft plastics for years and have zero complaints.  I don't use a leader and haven't had any issues.

I'm fishing ultraclear michigan waters mostly. I haven't tried braid only but I'm guessing the clear water is worse for straight braid.

3 minutes ago, WRangler506 said:

I'm not sure I don't like the mono or just don't love the rod. I fish open water mainly sand gravel and rock bottom.

I'm fishing ultraclear michigan waters mostly. I haven't tried braid only but I'm guessing the clear water is worse for straight braid.

It is up to you really.  I fish a lot of clear water as well both in moving water and in lakes and when i made the switch to braid my hookup percentage went up because of the no stretch in the weightless soft plastic realm.  I don't do dropshot on it but i will occasionally throw shaky heads and it does well there too.  

I do want to dropshot with it also. If I could tie the right knots I would think a shorter FL leader would help. Not proven just what I'm thinking. 

I have some tatsu and braid in the garage, I need to stretch test like a 10ft length. 

I use this rod (the spinning model) almost exclusively for weightless plastics, and with a size 30 pflueger reel (about the same size as what other companies call 2500).

I have been using 15lb or higher power pro braid, sometimes with a leader and sometimes without.  But I'm fishing around vegetation most of the time. If I were fishing more open water, I'd use a 6-8 lb co-polymer like Izorline XXX or Yo-Zuri hybrid (I don't use fluoro). 

I have the mojo 6'8 m-xf spinning rod and use 10lb braid to a 6-8lb leader. The avid x has micro guides so I am not sure how a leader knot will work, but you should be ok as both lines are pretty small diameter. 

11 hours ago, WRangler506 said:

not sure I don't like the mono or just don't love the rod. I fish open water mainly sand gravel and rock bottom.

Can you elaborate a little bit more about what exactly you don't like? Is it the extra fast action of the rod, sensitivity or lack of, or the stretch in the line? 

I have that exact rod, and 2x 63MLXF and 2x 63MLXF.  All are spooled with either 6# Tatsu or Invisx.  They all have CI4 2500 or 3000 reels.  They are to me, the perfect finesse tools.

2 hours ago, LCG said:

I have the mojo 6'8 m-xf spinning rod and use 10lb braid to a 6-8lb leader. The avid x has micro guides so I am not sure how a leader knot will work, but you should be ok as both lines are pretty small diameter. 

Can you elaborate a little bit more about what exactly you don't like? Is it the extra fast action of the rod, sensitivity or lack of, or the stretch in the line? 

I havent used it enough to say for sure, but I know the mono felt super stretchy and not sensitive enough in several scenarios. I know braid would fix that but I dont want to be yanking hooks due to being a Med rod with braid, especially when Im using it for walleye.

I dont think you will see any issues with walleye. Many people use an XF with braid for walleyes myself included. I use a 610MLXF and would never think about switching to mono. Cannot stand the stretch.