Jump to content

Recommended Posts

have had my eye on a 6'4" M St Croix Avid X in a particular tackle shop for about three years now. same rod has been sitting there this whole time. It was once on sale for $160, but is now at full price. If I asked them to lower the price to $150 because I noticed it has been sitting there for about three years will they likely accept? I can't find this rod online, but will keep looking....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Quarry Man said:

If I asked them to lower the price to $150 because I noticed it has been sitting there for about three years will they likely accept? I can't find this rod online, but will keep looking....

Highly unlikely. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They might, I got two Veritas 2.0 rods for $50 after negotiation at a local retailer a few months ago. It depends on if you can prove it was there for that long.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Quarry Man said:

Thanks, only issues are that its on back order and $70 more than in store...

Well, bit lower price and it seems to be in stock here.

https://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=8430

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Since you frequent the store they may remember you and give you a discount especially if they don't move a lot of inventory. 

Which seems like they don't. 

 

All they could say is no

 

 

 

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always try to negotiate.  Just politely ask if they are willing to negotiate on the price.  If they say something like, "what did you have in mind?" it's a good thing.  If they flat out say "No," no harm done.

 

Also, you wanna do this with the owner, or someone in charge to some degree.  Maybe mention that it was on sale once, and that you really regret missing it.

 

I try to negotiate everything.  I've been surprised many times by what I've talked myself into.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LionHeart said:

Also, you wanna do this with the owner, or someone in charge to some degree.  Maybe mention that it was on sale once, and that you really regret missing it.

This.  Find the owner or manager and start by saying you saw the rod on sale for $160 in the past and ask if they'd still let it go for that price.  If you buy from them often then I would think they would

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, GReb said:

This.  Find the owner or manager and start by saying you saw the rod on sale for $160 in the past and ask if they'd still let it go for that price.  If you buy from them often then I would think they would

Well said. If you are a returning customer and have done business, there is a chance. However, if you aren't a familiar face in the store and show up looking for a discount, I can almost guarantee they say no. Regardless, goodluck. I recommend doing business there and frequenting them a lot. Typically getting in good with them will benefit y'all both. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mike L said:

Since you frequent the store they may remember you and give you a discount especially if they don't move a lot of inventory. 

Which seems like they don't. 

 

All they could say is no

 

Mike

You make a good point, I don't frequent the store too often, but when I do, I talk to all the staff and buy some stuff. I just had them repair a rod, so when I go back ill ask, worst they can say is no, like you said.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Quarry Man said:

You make a good point, I don't frequent the store too often, but when I do, I talk to all the staff and buy some stuff. I just had them repair a rod, so when I go back ill ask, worst they can say is no, like you said.

Support local, when you can. Goodluck. Worst case is to just ask for 10% if he/she won't do the previous price and pick it up. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let us know how it goes. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flame suit on. I will never ask for a discount from a local business if they are at or very near what a major label is asking for an item. If I can get a Curado DC at BPS for $249 and the local shop wants $249, then I will pay the $249 at the local shop. Many times (maybe 99.9%) these guys aren't making nearly as much per item. My parents own a small business so I know what it is like for people to drive 30-40 miles to save a few bucks as opposed to shop local. I understand wanting to save a few bucks, but I just can't find it in my heart to try to get a "deal" from a small time shop. 

 

That being said, my opinion is probably skewed due to the fact that my parents are small business owners and have dealt with theft, vandalism, fraud, and of course big business moving in.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never hurts to try. I wouldn't lead with that rod has been there for three years though. As @LionHeart suggested say that you missed the sale and regret it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's just like going into the local gun shop. It never hurts to ask if they can do a better price. Tell them you're willing to pay X price and that you're willing to buy right then and there. Most Mom and Pop shops have a hard time turning down cash in their pockets, especially if an item has been sitting on a shelf stagnant for years. 

 

 

As far as Tackle Trap, I know for a fact that Gary doesn't keep St. Croix in stock in his shop. He has it all drop shipped from the SC factory, so if that is a discontinued model and SC is OOP, then you might be SOL. However, if it's still in production, then I know Gary will take good care of you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, jbsoonerfan said:

Flame suit on. I will never ask for a discount from a local business if they are at or very near what a major label is asking for an item. If I can get a Curado DC at BPS for $249 and the local shop wants $249, then I will pay the $249 at the local shop. Many times (maybe 99.9%) these guys aren't making nearly as much per item. My parents own a small business so I know what it is like for people to drive 30-40 miles to save a few bucks as opposed to shop local. I understand wanting to save a few bucks, but I just can't find it in my heart to try to get a "deal" from a small time shop. 

 

That being said, my opinion is probably skewed due to the fact that my parents are small business owners and have dealt with theft, vandalism, fraud, and of course big business moving in.

Idk....seems like theft, vandalism,  fraud are sort of a different conversation than a requested discount.   I get where you are coming from, but, honestly, a negotiated sale on stagnant stock is a positive...not a loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Choporoz said:

Idk....seems like theft, vandalism,  fraud are sort of a different conversation than a requested discount.   I get where you are coming from, but, honestly, a negotiated sale on stagnant stock is a positive...not a loss.

I am not sure the size of the shop or the town, but I know around here when someone gets a good deal, they make sure and let everyone know and then everyone thinks they should get the same deal. I have seen this in archery shops as well as tackle shops. Most of the time the archery shops got burned by setting up bows or adding accessories for free to some people and charging others. Word spreads fast and sometimes that hurts or helps business.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I stopped by a small mom and pop today. The guy made sure to tell me he can offer up to 30 percent on  rods up to $150. And had 30% off all acuma Rods I think if you pop in and buy a lure a few times over the next couple weeks you could get something off. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2019 at 7:02 PM, Quarry Man said:

have had my eye on a 6'4" M St Croix Avid X in a particular tackle shop for about three years now. same rod has been sitting there this whole time. It was once on sale for $160, but is now at full price. If I asked them to lower the price to $150 because I noticed it has been sitting there for about three years will they likely accept? I can't find this rod online, but will keep looking....

It never hurts to ask so I say go for it! Worse thing is he says no to your offer and if he says no you can always research online a better deal than anything he offers in his store.  It is your hard earned money so shop wisely and do not waste more than you have to. It would be in his best interest to say yes since that rod has not moved for years like you said, he will still be making profit, and he will keep you happy as a long term customer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×