Jump to content
slonezp

CCW Class

Recommended Posts

Taking it this weekend. Then another 120 days to get my license.

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't need it in Kansas , but still have one. Makes transporting much easier. Especially across state lines.

Also makes purchasing much easier. No background checks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IL has stringent gun laws. I've been a gun owner since middle school. I've had a FOID card (Firearm owner ID card) since 1986. I've been mulling around the CCW for some time now. I may or may not have been known to carry. Now I will be legal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine when I turned 21 and have carried daily since, almost 20 years. I've never needed it but there have been times I was really glad I had it. I didn't plan on carrying every day but once I got it I realized you never know when something bad might happen and I felt naked without it. It also made me much more aware of my surroundings and more likely to avoid iffy situations. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, slonezp said:

IL has stringent gun laws. I've been a gun owner since middle school. I've had a FOID card (Firearm owner ID card) since 1986. I've been mulling around the CCW for some time now. I may or may not have been known to carry. Now I will be legal.

Illinois is one of the very few states that will not honor our permits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Russ E said:

Illinois is one of the very few states that will not honor our permits.

They will honor as long as the weapon never leaves the vehicle. I'm not sure what the paranoia is about. If I say anymore the thread will get shut down. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The time is coming, and for some it has come, not to register or apply for permits.

luckily in NH, no need for CCP.  Given every keystroke we make  lives for ever, it is naive to think  that this documentation doesn’t....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NHBull said:

The time is coming, and for some it has come, not to register or apply for permits.

luckily in NH, no need for CCP.  Given every keystroke we make  lives for ever, it is naive to think  that this documentation doesn’t....

I know what you are implying and while I don't necessarily disagree, I also live in a state with a history of having some of the most stringent gun laws. and they are FLAWED. A buddy of mine (U.S. Marine) accidentally let his FOID (firearms  owners ID card required in IL) card expire. The state sent him a letter telling him to turn in his FOID, CCW, and his guns. He went to a neighboring town and talked to the police about transferring his weapons to his wife who has a valid FOID card. Cops said as long as she lives with you, there is no way to prove whose guns they are. He went to his village police dept to turn in his FOID and CCW and was astonished as to how disorganized they were. They asked him if he had any guns and he answered no. That was it. No more questions. He reapplied, and got his permits back.

 

Retailers are required to keep records of weapon transfers. Private individuals are not. There is a current pending bill to try and make it illegal for private individuals to transfer weapons. I've sold a number of guns over the years to private parties. I can't verify if the weapons were registered or not. What are they going to do? "Sorry, I sold the weapon...carry on."  

 

The State of MD has recently tried to pass a bill changing the classifications of long guns. The Baltimore PD has said they will not confiscate any weapons that would be reclassified as illegal. 

 

The State of IL has a current pending bill in the wake of a workplace shooting that happened a couple weeks ago in one of Chicago's suburbs. The shooter had received his FOID card because he lied on his application and the state still put it thru. He was able to purchase a firearm and ammunition legally. Only when he applied for his CCW, they figured out he was a convicted felon. He was sent a letter to turn in his FOID and his guns. As I stated earlier, there is zero follow up. 6 policemen were shot and 5 employees at the company lost their lives because of "oversight" by the state of IL. Well, we can't punish the State of IL, so lets punish the lawful gun owners. The bill wants to form a "militia" that will go out and confiscate weapons from those who have lost their FOID cards or CCW. This includes the "I forgot to renew" people. 

 

When it all comes down to it, the powers that be need a scapegoat. They need someone to blame. Pass more legislation and when the bad guys still kill someone, at least they have someone to blame.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edit to the above post. Yesterday the first lawsuit against the IL State Police was filed for dropping the ball on allowing the workplace shooter to legally purchase firearms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IL requires 16 hours of class time. First 8 is done. 7 people in the class. 5 males and 2 females. I've been handling guns for 45 years without any formal training. All that time I never put much thought into firing a weapon from a self defense perspective. It was eye opening. The proctor teaches firearm safety and firearm training for a living and is also a competitive shooter. I'm glad I signed up. Tomorrow morning some range time and tomorrow afternoon learning the legalities.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, slonezp said:

IL requires 16 hours of class time. First 8 is done. 7 people in the class. 5 males and 2 females. I've been handling guns for 45 years without any formal training. All that time I never put much thought into firing a weapon from a self defense perspective. It was eye opening. The proctor teaches firearm safety and firearm training for a living and is also a competitive shooter. I'm glad I signed up. Tomorrow morning some range time and tomorrow afternoon learning the legalities.

Now that's something I can relate to.

Keep your head on a swivel 'at the range'.

Accuracy is important but so is being first and fastest.

:smiley:

A-Jay

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother lives in Chicago.  It took him over 7 months to get a FOID there.  When he told me that I just shook my head.  7 months?!  It took me 7 days in Minnesota to get a similar permit.  How long does it take to conduct a back ground check?  15 minutes?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gimruis said:

My brother lives in Chicago.  It took him over 7 months to get a FOID there.  When he told me that I just shook my head.  7 months?!  It took me 7 days in Minnesota to get a similar permit.  How long does it take to conduct a back ground check?  15 minutes?

I brought this up in class today. Every firearm purchased from a retailer requires a background check. IL charges $25. I bought 2 LCP's at Cabelas a couple years ago when they were on sale for $150. I had to pay for 2 background checks, not one. Made no sense whatsoever. The instructor said there are only 4 people conducting background checks for firearms purchases, FOID and CCW applications and they are backed up for months. What happens when a weapon is purchased, the computer runs a preliminary background check which allows you to make the purchase. A more thorough one is done at a later date. Why I had to pay for 2 at the same time is, the "thorough" background checks would probably be done at separate times. Our DNR is similar. There are 3 people conducting all the boat and trailer registrations. It takes 6-8 months to get our registration stickers.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, slonezp said:

I brought this up in class today. Every firearm purchased from a retailer requires a background check. IL charges $25. I bought 2 LCP's at Cabelas a couple years ago when they were on sale for $150. I had to pay for 2 background checks, not one. Made no sense whatsoever. The instructor said there are only 4 people conducting background checks for firearms purchases, FOID and CCW applications and they are backed up for months. What happens when a weapon is purchased, the computer runs a preliminary background check which allows you to make the purchase. A more thorough one is done at a later date. Why I had to pay for 2 at the same time is, the "thorough" background checks would probably be done at separate times. Our DNR is similar. There are 3 people conducting all the boat and trailer registrations. It takes 6-8 months to get our registration stickers.  

it is amazing how your location determine how firearms sales are conducted.

with my ccw in Kansas, I fill out the 1 page federal form and walk out with my new handgun.

I have lived in Iowa, Missouri , and Kansas.. Until this thread I did not know what an FOID was.

Glad I don't live in Illinois.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

....just a side note since we are on the subject.  In NH local Chiefs were responsible for background checks and they were in fact more stringent than the state database.  The bottom line is it was up to local jurisdiction as long as you were clean in the state base.

 

when I moved to my current home and went for my ccs a few years ago, the chief told me.

” I hope this is the last time you plan on doing this”.  At the time the permit was only good for a couple year.  Geography means everything in this topic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty fortunate AZ here is constitutional carry. No CCW required.vWill be going though to get the CCW. Always a good idea to have a better understanding of legalities using a firearm in self defense. Shield 9mm goes everywhere with the family.RGiwvQO.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I brought a .40 to the range. Also happens to be a gun I really don't shoot well with. I don't know why, I just can't get the feel for it. Back to the whole self defense thing, I shot fine with it. All 30 rounds required by the state were within the required boundaries of the target. Point and shoot is completely different than aim and shoot. The .40 is uncomfortable to carry, at least with the current holster. BUT it is probably the best option I currently own. Now begins the next journey. Finding a gun/holster combo that works for me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, slonezp said:

I brought a .40 to the range. Also happens to be a gun I really don't shoot well with. I don't know why, I just can't get the feel for it. Back to the whole self defense thing, I shot fine with it. All 30 rounds required by the state were within the required boundaries of the target. Point and shoot is completely different than aim and shoot. The .40 is uncomfortable to carry, at least with the current holster. BUT it is probably the best option I currently own. Now begins the next journey. Finding a gun/holster combo that works for me. 

Many share your sentiment for the.40.  It is a snappy round that I too struddled with.

All of mine are with new owners!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NHBull said:

Many share your sentiment for the.40.  It is a snappy round that I too struddled with.

All of mine are with new owners!

I don't know that it's the round. The gun is a Springfield XD sub compact. It works flawlessly, and I have to believe it's something I'm missing OR it's just too small for my ape hands. I got the extended mags because the mags that came with it weren't comfortable. I have a Ruger P95 9mm that I absolutely love. It's a large framed gun that just feels right in my hands and I shoot well with it. Is it too large to conceal easily??? I don't know. Back to the point and shoot vs aim and shoot I brought up earlier. In a self defense scenario, I need to hit the threat, I don't need to worry about my groupings. During the point and shoot exercises with the pistol laser pointer, I was on or close to the bullseye 90% of the time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, slonezp said:

I don't know that it's the round. The gun is a Springfield XD sub compact. It works flawlessly, and I have to believe it's something I'm missing OR it's just too small for my ape hands. I got the extended mags because the mags that came with it weren't comfortable. I have a Ruger P95 9mm that I absolutely love. It's a large framed gun that just feels right in my hands and I shoot well with it. Is it too large to conceal easily??? I don't know. Back to the point and shoot vs aim and shoot I brought up earlier. In a self defense scenario, I need to hit the threat, I don't need to worry about my groupings. During the point and shoot exercises with the pistol laser pointer, I was on or close to the bullseye 90% of the time.  

Got it....my daily carry is a shield 9mm, simply because it is as comfortable and easy to conceal as anything I have ever carried and can double tap center mass aiming my thumbs.The only think I was better with was my issued 1911, but my hips just can't take the weight and a left handed shoulder cross draw has its drawbacks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing forum

    fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing reels

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...