Dupage River

Plainfield, Illinois

60 degrees air temp

52 degrees water temp

Clear skies

Wind NW 10mph

Fished 9am-12pm

River just a little high

with current moving good pace with some old vegetation floating down river.

Lures used:

4” White fluke

3/8oz. White Booyah Blade

Zara Puppy 

Area I fished was a “Run” of about 70 yards at 3.5 feet deep. Bottom gravel with sporadic decent sized rocks. Normally a crystal clear river, the water clarity is low today because recent rain.

I thought at this time of year the conditions were right for some bites. This is my second time out with no bites. Anything I might be doing wrong?

Thanks all!

Yes. The smallmouth won’t be holding in current. Especially in cold water. You need to be looking for eddies and the break lines associated with them. Don’t expect topwaters to work either until the water is over 60 or so. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thankyou Scott. I’ll concentrate on those areas, and switch up the Baits. And give er another go! 😊👍

I would try dragging something relatively small  slowly on the bottom 

• Like 2

I'd be trying two presentations. First would be a white jerkbait in the smaller sizes. Then a reverse hooked Fat IKA, which I would allow the current to take into any eddy. One of these will get you bit.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2019 at 2:26 PM, Scott F said:

Yes. The smallmouth won’t be holding in current. Especially in cold water. You need to be looking for eddies and the break lines associated with them. Don’t expect topwaters to work either until the water is over 60 or so. 

My Pb smallie 6.9 was on a whopper plopper in 55 degree water over a spawning flat! Only bait that really worked after 10 hours of no fish! Switched it up to the WP 90 slayed them! 

• Like 3

On 4/10/2019 at 11:19 AM, TnRiver46 said:

I would try dragging something relatively small  slowly on the bottom 

I’m sort of in the same boat you’re in. The beginning of the season can be tough. I don’t know why they seem no existent than they just arrive. I’ve been doing this a long time and can't ever figure them out. I’m fishing s section similar to you. Managed a walleye and two white perch so far. I’m fishing various grubs slow. Throwing a rat-l-trap some. My first Smallie of the year has come off a trap more than once. Hang in there. My next time out I’m going to fish some Mepps spinners slowly. 

• Like 2

I've had some success so far on the DuPage this year in the Naperville area, although not after a recent rain. The visibility gets so poor and so much debris in the water...I've now decided to always wait a couple days after a rain (like the one today) before going back out. Most of my luck has been using jerkbaits (Husky Jerk, X-rap knockoff) and in natural colors.