billonaboat

Shimano Crucial Spinning 6'6" Medium power Fast action

Hey guys,

I just scored two 6'6" shimano crucial spinning medium power fast action on ebay.. $150 for the pair so I couldn't pass it up.

I notice they are rated just 1/8-3/8. This is a little lower than most medium fast spinning rods these days.

What would you use these for if you had them? I'm going to put stradic 2500 on each.

I have been looking for two 6'6" spinning rods.. one for topwater (zara puppy, zara spook, pop-r) and one for jerkbaits. I figure a 6'6" medium power fast action is a good rod for each of these ideas. But, I do wish these rods were rated for just a bit more than 3/8 ounce. A heddon zara spook is a half ounce for example.. technically over the rod's rating of up to 3/8. I'm sure I can stretch a rod rated for 3/8 to 1/2 though, what do you think? It bothers me a little bit haha.

Will these work for lighter topwater and lighter jerkbaits or would you use them for something else? I recently picked up two spinning legend tournament bass 7' designed for plastics. Maybe I end up using these crucials for more finesse techniques if it turns out they wouldn't be good for topwater and jerks. I love fishing finesse on spinning. Honestly 4 rods for it wouldn't be too much for me... one wacky, one shakey, a 1/8 t rig with a worm, and a 3/16 t rig with a craw for example. Haha. But is 6'6" kind of short for that kind of thing? I liked the length with the idea of topwater and jerkbaits in mind, because I think something a little shorter than your typical 7' makes sense, so that you're not slapping the water etc.

What would you do?

I am somewhat familiar with both of these rod series. I still have a 6-10 crucial M (black) that I use for jerkbaits rated for 5/8 oz and I have also owned the LTB in the plastics model. Depending on the size of jerkbait you are going to fish I would fish the LTB for 1/2 oz - 5/8 oz. and fish one of the crucials for smaller baits like a trick darter or pointer 78. I have not fished the 6-6 crucial but would try a couple topwaters on it and see how it handles them. I would think it would be great for smaller poppers.  You will cast better with a spook on the LTB. Great choices on both rods though. They both are nice wacky rig/ plastic rods too.

They sound like they would be great for lures weighing 1/4 oz like Pop R's, Zara Puppy, small crankbaits or jerkbaits. 

I'm almost thinking of selling them and just going with the 6'6" shimano clarus spinning medium fast. I know it's quite a drop from the crucial down to the clarus, but I like how the medium clarus is rated 3/16-5/8. I also used to have a couple clarus years ago (obviously older models) that I thought were nice. The new ones look good with the split grips. Anyone have any experience or advice here? Basically I'd hate to stick with the crucial and feel limited on what I can throw. I'd hate to feel like I can only throw zara puppies just because the full size spook is over the crucial's recommended rating at 1/2 ounce.

Haha, I'm real ocd about my setups.

I feel like the clarus CSS66MD fits the bill for me here... decent rods that would work well for spooks/poppers and jerkbaits like the husky jerk. I don't throw real heavy topwater or jerks so I think the medium fast is perfect, don't think I need the medium heavy, but open to thoughts.

1259652700_ScreenShot2019-04-19at3_27_16PM.png.f7ede907cb8bdba9f5eebb1b7a6c6448.png

1208785029_ScreenShot2019-04-19at3_27_05PM.thumb.png.2307c754d2cbc8206604c8e49713d4ab.png

I'm also not trying to break the bank because i just splurged on those two LTB and CI4+. That's why I was stoked on those crucials working out to about $75 each.

What gen crucial do you have? Black or green, cork or foam?

i still have gen 1 crucial dropshot 6’8 M/XF that I won’t let go, this is in my opinion the best all around rod, I use for everything from weightless trick worm, Senko all the way to small-medium Jerkbait and topwater. If you like finesse the crucial is the best to go, and there is plenty of backbone when you need it. Don’t just look at lure rate, you should try the rod first before making any decision.

I lost one of my crucial gen 2 M/F casting 1/8-3/8oz and im still crying until today.

50 minutes ago, JustJames said:

What gen crucial do you have? Black or green, cork or foam?

i still have gen 1 crucial dropshot 6’8 M/XF that I won’t let go, this is in my opinion the best all around rod, I use for everything from weightless trick worm, Senko all the way to small-medium Jerkbait and topwater. If you like finesse the crucial is the best to go, and there is plenty of backbone when you need it. Don’t just look at lure rate, you should try the rod first before making any decision.

I lost one of my crucial gen 2 M/F casting 1/8-3/8oz and im still crying until today.

I think they are gen two. Cork grips.

719652906_ScreenShot2019-04-18at8_02_42PM.thumb.png.15c7b9456be5881b6e068854c0909bb2.png

You telling me I have something to be real excited about?! I thought it was a steal at $75 a piece! They are 6'6" though and I just bought two LTB 7' mf so it almost seems redundant if these won't work as I was hoping for jerks and topwater up to 3/8 or 1/2 ounce.

Those are gen 2 alright, the best reel seat in my opinion. It would get some used to with bare blank, but the most comfortable you would ever feel. It has nice blank, light and pretty crispy. I would try it with LC 78 or rapala HJ 08 also your choic of spook or whopper plopped 90