Do any of you use baitcasters for T.R.D neds?

1 hour ago, BaitFinesse said:

In what way is it better?  Why not fish all jigs on spinning tackle?

Let me preface this by saying you can use whatever you want, it doesn't bother me.  You also can use a shoe to hammer in a nail, a knife to loosen a screw & a drill bit to pick your nose.  Again, your choice, none of my business what you do.

However, this is a forum where the details of bass fishing techniques are shared.  In the same way it would be misleading for Tim the Toolman Taylor to lecture which men's loafers are best for driving in a 2 penny nail, it is misleading for folks on this site to pretend using mismatched gear for a certain technique makes no difference.  Again, do whatever you want personally, just watch what you advise others to do.

That said, the basic answer to your question is that the inherent design of spinning gear makes it better suited for for casting & retrieving lighter baits while the inherent design of casting gear is better suited for normal to heavy baits and heavier lines.  There are nearly 347 threads on this forum on the specific strengths & weakness's of spinning gear versus the strengths & weakness's of casting gear.  I don't want to waste space on the internet adding a 348th, so if you truly don't know the difference, do a search on this site and you will get plenty of information.  If it helps you and you learn something, great.  If not, keep doing what you are doing, you'll be fine.

• Global Moderator
On 5/24/2019 at 10:13 PM, EGbassing said:

I used to use a spinning rod for my ned rigs but I want to try them again so I'm trying to use one on my SLX reel tomorrow. Does anybody else fish these on a casting reel?

Yes, it can work,but the optimal gear is spinning tackle.

happy patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I think some people are embarrased of admitting they use spinning gear lol. I could probably use a baitcaster for my neds but why should I when a spinning set up will make it a lot easier.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, DogBone_384 said:

I'm sure not casting 300'.  The spool on my Pixy is very shallow.  I doubt there's 100 yds of line on it.  Regardless, I nearly spool it when I cast.

Yes, I have been doing a lot of research on BFS casting recently.   The best BFS systems don't seem to be able to reach 300'.   I have seen some good casts reach about half that distance though.

1 hour ago, roadwarrior said:

Yes, it can work,but the optimal gear is spinning tackle.

happy patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

After using both I would still say spinning gear is better for it, but not by much if you have the right BC gear.

• Super User
On 5/25/2019 at 7:55 AM, EGbassing said:

Does the scorpion have cent. brakes? I was getting 25yd.~ casts today with a 1/16th head. Caught a solid 3.5er after not catching anything in weeks so that was good too. 

I think OP already answered his own question.

1 hour ago, EGbassing said:

After using both I would still say spinning gear is better for it, but not by much if you have the right BC gear.

Do you?

1 hour ago, Yumeya said:

Nope, I can cast 1/16 farther and easier with a spinning rod.

If anyone wants to challenge me I'm down....

Further might be but easier and quicker I doubt it, and don’t forget those of wind knot when you heavy cast into wind where line keep coming out but lure not going no where.

2 hours ago, d-camarena said:

I think some people are embarrased of admitting they use spinning gear lol. I could probably use a baitcaster for my neds but why should I when a spinning set up will make it a lot easier.

Nope I’m not, 1/16oz shroom jig head with Zman batwings.

C59F85DB-FDD0-4A98-A4CB-D965866A7B29.thumb.jpeg.e4245e4fdae1845281893aaea469074e.jpeg

And I have this.

B71FE819-2113-4A28-8A0B-A7E4C6B4D6B5.thumb.jpeg.bc57c43f1eef9448312ba0cfa18ca030.jpeg

And this last pic from 15 years ago when I used baitcaster for trout, BFS? I don’t think so.

FBB57222-C9D0-4D98-BA4C-D422BEE24C97.jpeg.135fcdd67e27ceca7587e5362872d9c5.jpeg

And BTW, BFS or whatever you call it, is not for everyone especially young man still in school. 

There are a few Chinese Baitcasters that have some good reviews and impressive results compared to reels that cost much more. 

Tsurinoya XF50.JPG

Tsurinoya XF50-1.JPG

Haibo Steed

haibo steed.JPG

haibo1 steed.JPG

This one I am not sure of the name, it is a very close copy of the Aldabaran BFS including the braking system.

Ald1.JPG

Ald2.JPG

Ald3.JPG

Ald4.JPG

• Like 1

these type of discussions come up on a lot of different forums.

It all comes down to what a person is comfortable using.

personally I use spinning gear for most baits under 1/4 ounce. Anything above that gets a casting setup.

Been doing this for 40 years. I have never heard a valid argument to change my mind.

this reminds me of a local hunting forum that constantly has the AR15/ 223 argument for harvesting deer. 

Will it work? Yes, but why when there are better tools for the job.

• Like 3

Lews orange crush spinning reel 8 lb flouro and a 7 ft 6 carbon light rod. Works great for Ned’s.Use spinning rods more and more al the time.

• Like 1

• Super User

Today I was using my Lew’s Mach Speed Stick Ned Rig 6’7” medium light spinning rod model#MHNRR With a size 100 spinning reel 6 Lb. Sufix Promix mono I pulled in my biggest LMB of the year and my PB Brook Trout slow rolling a shroomz jighead and a green pumpkin TRD. 

Ned Rig is versatile. I love it on spring gear on calm waters and lighter jighead. Heavier jigheads and baitcasters in rivers and current.

• Like 1

Is it so hard to believe that some people are more comfortable and better with casting gear than spinning gear?  No point in arguing about someone else’s  preferences.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Yumeya said:

Nope, I can cast 1/16 farther and easier with a spinning rod.

If anyone wants to challenge me I'm down....

I turned my spool tension down and was getting solid 100~ foot casts with no backlash today.

• Like 2

• Super User

I think the ones putting down throwing TRD's with baitcasting gear just dont have the skills to do so. No one has given a valid reason to not use baitcaster if a person has that capability. A quality baitcaster can easily throw one 100 feet, be very accurate closer range, can skip them when/where needed. 

If a person chooses to use spinning nothing wrong with that I use them too for neds and other lure not ragging on them. If I can use bc whats it to anyone else. Its not the wrong tool its a perfectly good optional tool. 

• Like 2

• Global Moderator

All these pros making a living out there, wanting every advantage they can get to help them earn every dollar, yet they choose spinning gear over BFS for finesse presentations. I'm sure there's a couple that use them, but your guys at the top of the list? aren't. 

I have a BFS combo, it's fun to play around with. I fish an 1/8oz jig with it and it'll cast it out there pretty good. It's a very capable setup, but it's not as good of a tool for the job as my spinning gear is. It's not so much the "shoe to hammer a nail" analogy because it is designed for finesse applications and not like spinning gear is in a whole different league. It's more of, I have a socket wrench, or a regular wrench. Both will get the job done, but one does it a little better than the other.  Someone who is practiced and proficient with a BFS combo can probably do some pretty impressive things with them and probably be more efficient than a lot of folks are with a spinning combo. 

• Like 1

• Global Moderator

I think the OP has got the answer he needed now that we've all very thoroughly derailed his topic.

LOCKDOWN!!

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2