Jump to content

Recommended Posts

What do y’all use on your spinning reels? Unlike baitcaster where line doesn’t have nearly as much of an issue with anything really such as jumping off the spool, curlys, line twists. This is a very open ended question because I know there are many lines out there that could fish just fine on spinning reels. What about the lines that even say “made for spinning reel” or “best spinning reel line” such as Berkley Nanofil, are they true? Does anyone have experience with these type of lines? I personally use 6-8lb on my spinning like many others do and have also used just big game on my spinning gear. I’m always looking to try some new line or anything so share your thoughts ideas and experiences!! Let’s talk! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of 15lb braid to a leader or 6-8lb mono/copolymer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once more

Pres-25 (UL) - 4# Yo-Zuri Hybrid - treated with KVD

Avocet (ML) - 8# Suffix Super 21 - treated with KVD

Trion (M) - 10# Yo-Zuri Hybrid - treated with KVD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nanofil is my favorite spinning reel line for over 5 years now. Actually just purchased more of it in 4 and 8 pound. Used braid before that and have tried some new braids inbetween but go back to Nanofil. I use a knot that makes the rated strength 50% stronger much stronger than the recommended double palomar. Casts great and the sensitivity is better than braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

Nanofil is my favorite spinning reel line for over 5 years now. Actually just purchased more of it in 4 and 8 pound. Used braid before that and have tried some new braids inbetween but go back to Nanofil. I use a knot that makes the rated strength 50% stronger much stronger than the recommended double palomar. Casts great and the sensitivity is better than braid.

Very strong case that Nanofil is more sensitive than braid! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, FishTank said:

6lb Trilene XL FC

Heard about this! Really intrigued by it. What sold you to start using it and what are your experiences with it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Jake51823 said:

Very strong case that Nanofil is more sensitive than braid! 

 

I have used many braids for many years. Im a braid guy and use it on most of my bc reels. Im 100% confident in making that statement. 

Is nanofil the greatest line ever, nope horrible abrasion resistant just like braid. The knot makes a BIG difference where with braid many knots work well. It not a power line cause its not a braid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jake51823 said:

Heard about this! Really intrigued by it. What sold you to start using it and what are your experiences with it? 

I use to use YoZuri Hybrid. I picked up a spool of XL FC for $10 instead of $20 during a Black Friday sale a few years ago.  I was hooked on it after that.  I like the way it casted and how limp it was.   The stretch was just right and it lasts a long time.  If I find it on sale, I grab it.  There are better lines but I found this one to be just right for the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, FishTank said:

I use to use YoZuri Hybrid. I picked up a spool of XL FC for $10 instead of $20 during a Black Friday sale a few years ago.  I was hooked on it after that.  I like the way it casted and how limp it was.   The stretch was just right and it lasts a long time.  If I find it on sale, I grab it.  There are better lines but I found this one to be just right for the price. 

Is the sensitivity good or kinda just like all mono lines? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jake51823 said:

Is the sensitivity good or kinda just like all mono lines? 

It's definitely better than mono but it's 6lb line so it's marginal.  

 

I like using it for weightless soft plastic and since it sinks it's just an added bonus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FishTank said:

It's definitely better than mono but it's 6lb line so it's marginal.  

 

I like using it for weightless soft plastic and since it sinks it's just an added bonus. 

Good to know, thank you for all the info will be on the try list! 

2 minutes ago, FishTank said:

It's definitely better than mono but it's 6lb line so it's marginal.  

 

I like using it for weightless soft plastic and since it sinks it's just an added bonus. 

Also do you think 8lb would run smooth on spinning too ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4-6lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid treated with KVD L&L or 10-15lb Power Pro. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Jake51823 said:

Good to know, thank you for all the info will be on the try list! 

Also do you think 8lb would run smooth on spinning too ?

I have not tried it but I would think so.  If you don't want try FC, Sunline Natural has been my favorite mono as of late. It doesn't last as long as FC, it floats, it's cheapish, and handles a spinning gear well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Glaucus said:

4-6lb Yo-Zuri Hybrid treated with KVD L&L or 10-15lb Power Pro. 

Yo-Zuri Hybrid is everywhere these days I feel like. With people using it as mainline, and leaders. Will eventually grab a hold of it and test it out. 

34 minutes ago, FishTank said:

I have not tried it but I would think so.  If you don't want try FC, Sunline Natural has been my favorite mono as of late. It doesn't last as long as FC, it floats, it's cheapish, and handles a spinning gear well. 

I mean hey FC on a spinning can’t get better than that. If it handles well there’s not many FC’s out there that can handle extremely well on spinning so it’s always good to give it a shot. Sensitivity is really important to me along with how its basically invisible under water. Thank you for all the information. I also heard sunline defier armilo was good from that brand. Sunline knows what they are doing for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, QUAKEnSHAKE said:

 

I have used many braids for many years. Im a braid guy and use it on most of my bc reels. Im 100% confident in making that statement. 

Is nanofil the greatest line ever, nope horrible abrasion resistant just like braid. The knot makes a BIG difference where with braid many knots work well. It not a power line cause its not a braid.

I see what you’re saying what knot do you use that makes the line stronger? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8lb trilene XL.  Put the spool in a cup of warm water and it gets rid of the memory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any single filament ( mono, FC!coply or hybrid) line over .010 dia on spinning under size 3000 will cause line twist if unmanaged. If you don't untwist your line then go with braid under under .010 D and use a leader if that helps your confidence. Braid with leader is popular becuase of line twist issues.

Me, I hate2 knots and use Maxima Uktra Green 5# coploy line for finesse applications, no reason to use spinning for any other bass presentations.

Tom

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, WRB said:

Any single filament ( mono, FC!coply or hybrid) line over .010 dia on spinning under size 3000 will cause line twist if unmanaged. If you don't untwist your line then go with braid under under .010 D and use a leader if that helps your confidence. Braid with leader is popular becuase of line twist issues.

Me, I hate2 knots and use Maxima Uktra Green 5# coploy line for finesse applications, no reason to use spinning for any other bass presentations.

Tom

Thank you for the tip and advice! A few lines I’m thinking of trying are 6lb .09 and 8lb .010. Do you think a diameter of .010 is okay to have or still might cause twist as well as .09 because that’s pushing .010?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your objective is to eliminate line twist, closing your bail manually will help in that endeavor. Using braid will practically eliminate that problem.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, nascar2428 said:

If your objective is to eliminate line twist, closing your bail manually will help in that endeavor. Using braid will practically eliminate that problem.

I make sure to close it manually, also I’ve just never really liked braid I’m not sure why. I’ve tried fishing with it a few times and just always missed some sort of fc or mono on my rod. I know im weird because braid is all around a very good and reliable line. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, nascar2428 said:

If your objective is to eliminate line twist, closing your bail manually will help in that endeavor. Using braid will practically eliminate that problem.

Closing the bail by hand eliminates loops, doesn't change how the spinning reel wraps line into the spool twisting it with every revolution.

Tom

11 hours ago, Jake51823 said:

Thank you for the tip and advice! A few lines I’m thinking of trying are 6lb .09 and 8lb .010. Do you think a diameter of .010 is okay to have or still might cause twist as well as .09 because that’s pushing .010?

Smaller diameter single filament lines have less memory and lay on the spool without coiling like a slinky. Sunline Super Natural is inexpensive with low memory and a good line for spinning reels. 10 lb Super Natural is .01O.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like 6-8# Sufix Promix mono on my spinning gear. It’s strong and limp enough for spinning gear.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It has been BPS Excel green 8lb mono on my spinning reels for 18 years.  I am not very original, but it works well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use 15lb-20lb power pro to a 8lb Trilene XT mono leader (about 4-6ft long).  I use an alberto knot to connect them.  Trilene XT has less stretch than most nylon monofilament so the hooksets are really good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing

    fishing poles

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...