Jump to content
eightydee

Recommended Car Rack for a kayak?

Recommended Posts

So, I just bought a new fishing kayak and I was curious is anyone has a recommendation of a car rack? I also mountain bike and the difference between a good one and a cheap one, is your bike won't fall off on the freeway.

 

So, what things should I look for? I have a 2009 Mercury Milian, sunroof. The kayak is a Pelican Sentinel 100x:

Specifications

  • Length
    9 ft 6 in. - 290 cm
  • Width
    30 in. - 76 cm
  • Height
    13.25 in. - 34 cm
  • Weight
    45 lb - 20.5 kg
  • Capacity
    275 lb - 125 kg
 
I mean, I know you get what you pay for but I have no knowledge in kayak mounts. I would like a few options: cheap-ish - medium priced - and the Rolls Royce.
 
THank you!

IMG_2833.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nicer racks are made by Thule and Yakima. You can get a set of cross bars with mounting feet and just put the kayak upside down straight on the cross bars. You can look up what parts you will need for your car on their websites. Probably around $400-$500.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you already have cross bars?  You don't really need a j cradle or anything else to transport one kayak.  Just strap it down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have nothing on my roof. just flat. I see theres things that strap and go through your windows? than you can mount the kayaks brackets? I am lost haha

 

This is my car. What would I need?

279192_2285304936534_4576961_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmm ... mebbe a trailer hitch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ones that are soft cross bars with straps may be your best bet.  Otherwise, you're going to be into some serious money.  On my Highlander, which had the rails, I have over a grand in cross bars, a big cargo box, and a nice J-type cradle.  And that was during the REI 20% off sale they run each year.  I'm sure there are some drawbacks (I would imagine your door seals might leak a little in a deluge), something along these lines https://www.yakima.com/easytop may get you going.  I'm sure there are even cheaper solutions, it all depends on what you're willing to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I had my Nissan Altima I had an Inno rack system on the top of my car.  I loved it.  I hauled two kayaks using their kayak cradles and uprights (INA455) with no issues at all.  I went with Inno over Yakima or Thule because the Inno was cheaper overall and came with locks for the bars so they could not be removed easily.  They went on and off easily too and I took them off over the winter and kept them on during the fishing seasons.  It looks like Inno makes a rack for your Milan.

 

The only thing I wouldn't recommend is using the cam style straps the carrier comes with as they tended to loosen up on me.  I went to Harbor Freight and bought a set of 4 ratchet straps to use.

 

As for price I was probably in for around $500 for the whole system but it was worth being able to throw two kayaks up on my car and go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just get the Malone handirack for around $100, that's what I'm using

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd stick with yakima or Thule.  You can either go in somewhere and get everything you need or just order it online.  With one kayak i wouldn't use J cradles.  I had them before and hated the way they made my kayak become a sail while driving.  I then switched over to just strapping it to the rails and it made my life easier.  Now I have a trailer and wouldn't go back to not having one unless I had to for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A set of Thule or Yakima cross bars and risers that are made for your specific car model are the best.  You can get away with one of the foam block kits, but you'll want to upgrade if you transport it a lot.  A note about straps.  The nylon webbing straps are terrible, and slip.  You want a blue polypropylene webbed strap, like what Thule, Yakima, or NRS make.  They do not slip.  No one in the kayak business recommends ratcheting straps, as it is too easy to over tighten them, and crush your boat.  I always warn against using them.  for one kayak, skip the J-hooks, and use the rack system pads, or just pool noodles for padding.  You'll want to get a small bath mat for loading and unloading.  There's plenty of videos that show one person loading techniques that wont kill your car or your back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with @flyfisher and @J Francho.  You are going to pay a premium for Thule and Yakima, but the durability, ease of use and peace of mind are well worth the up front cost.   I went with cheaper options on one of two cars the first few years and had to replace everything (feet, cross bars, racks, straps) within three years. Wife's car got Thule from the start and everything is nearly as good as new.  

I have had Malone j-bars and they are pretty decent, but I don't know enough about the rest of Malone's product line.  I know they're somewhat well regarded.  But, I worry a lot with every new cartop configuration and that worry goes away pretty quick once you're strapped onto Thule stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the handirack on my Civic.  Easy and works just fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Choporoz said:

I'm with @flyfisher and @J Francho.  You are going to pay a premium for Thule and Yakima, but the durability, ease of use and peace of mind are well worth the up front cost.   I went with cheaper options on one of two cars the first few years and had to replace everything (feet, cross bars, racks, straps) within three years. Wife's car got Thule from the start and everything is nearly as good as new.  

I have had Malone j-bars and they are pretty decent, but I don't know enough about the rest of Malone's product line.  I know they're somewhat well regarded.  But, I worry a lot with every new cartop configuration and that worry goes away pretty quick once you're strapped onto Thule stuff.

I get what you're saying but he's got a 10 year old car and a light cheap kayak.  Money would be better spent elsewhere than putting $300+ into a custom fit rack system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, so with a Handirack, I wouldn't need to get those J stands?

 

https://www.amazon.com/HandiRack-Inflatable-Universal-Luggage-Carrier/dp/B001F5AHKC

 

But with this one, I would need to get those J stands?

https://www.amazon.com/Seah-Hardware-Universal-Roof-Cross-bars/dp/B076KDY47H/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_468_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3X9VC6YDHYF0BYFRJ24F

 

 

I do have a Thule three bike for my trunk and it's amazing! But yea, it is spendy. So, ya'll think the HandiRack would be decent for one 45 pound angler kayak?

 

 

 

So a long with the HandiRack what about these anchors? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024AVPO4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

 

IMG_2833.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UPDATE: Instead of double posting, my step father went ahead and purchased a Yakima EasyTop: https://www.rei.com/product/129548/yakima-easytop-car-rack

 

....Wouldn't that make my car look like a cop car...?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, eightydee said:

Wow, so with a Handirack, I wouldn't need to get those J stands?

 

https://www.amazon.com/HandiRack-Inflatable-Universal-Luggage-Carrier/dp/B001F5AHKC

 

But with this one, I would need to get those J stands?

https://www.amazon.com/Seah-Hardware-Universal-Roof-Cross-bars/dp/B076KDY47H/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_468_t_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3X9VC6YDHYF0BYFRJ24F

 

 

I do have a Thule three bike for my trunk and it's amazing! But yea, it is spendy. So, ya'll think the HandiRack would be decent for one 45 pound angler kayak?

 

 

 

So a long with the HandiRack what about these anchors? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0024AVPO4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

 

IMG_2833.JPG

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

UPDATE: Instead of double posting, my step father went ahead and purchased a Yakima EasyTop: https://www.rei.com/product/129548/yakima-easytop-car-rack

 

....Wouldn't that make my car look like a cop car...?

That's pretty much the same thing as the handirack except it is foam instead of inflatable.  I'd still get the hood and trunk loops so you can do a bow and stern tiedown 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it's arriving July 31st and I think either my step dad ordered those or the local shop has something. I am super excited! There are 15 plus lakes within a 20 min drive and there's spots that I just ache to fish. Cannot wait!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Got the Yakima EasyTop along with hook and trunk anchors.

IMG_2955.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eightydee said:

Got the Yakima EasyTop along with hook and trunk anchors.

IMG_2955.JPG

Appears problem solved! :) 

 

I was going to recommend a much cheaper alternative...

Foam blocks and straps!. Thank God for Step-Fathers, tho :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • fishing

    fishing forum

    fishing rods

    fishing poles

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing reels

    fishing

    fishing

    bass fish

    fish for bass
    fish

×
×
  • Create New...