Sign in to follow this  
koko36265

New spinning reel set-up

I am looking into buying a new spinning rod and reel set-up...I currently have  3 bait casters and 1 spinning.... I am currently using a cheap $20 Daiwa spinning rod and reel for most of my soft plastic applications ..... I bought a cheap one to start off with because I have never really liked spinning but since I started fishing soft plastics a lot  again I have began to love them for that application....What would be the best set-up for fishing soft plastics ( senko's, Fat Ika's , Zoom's big ole' worm, EXE.)... The lake I fish most of the time has LOTS of grass everywhere, so I would probably need  a pretty stout rod... I am looking to spend  $100 to $150 for the set-up.... Any suggestions?

A 6'6" MH Shimano Compre for $89 and the $50 spinning reel of your choice.  The medium heavy action will allow you to easily set the hook with single hook lures. I have the 2 piece version of it for convenience. I also use it for soft plastics, and drop shotting, and tried the shakey head deal for the first time earlier this week.

A 6'6" MH Shimano Compre for $89 and the $50 spinning reel of your choice.  The medium heavy action will allow you to easily set the hook with single hook lures. I have the 2 piece version of it for convenience. I also use it for soft plastics, and drop shotting, and tried the shakey head deal for the first time earlier this week.

+1 on the Compre...I'd match it up with a Daiwa Exceler.

Shimano Stradic + Bass Pro Shops Extreme rod

Great reel, good rod, the combo can be had for $130, maybe less with the new Stradic coming out.

I agree with island bass "A 6'6" MH Shimano Compre for $89 and the $50 spinning reel of your choice." I would look for a Sahara first and maybe a symetre on sale.

What about the  Pflueger® President 6735X spinning reel? Anyone have one of these? It has great reviews and you also get a 2nd spool with it.... The Shimano Compre looks nice also.... I have never owned a Shimano, what do they compare to?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_51666_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

Guest muddy

This is my set up, I went back to my basic and I am lovin it

Fenwick Eagle GT  6'6" Med.(one piece)  50.00

Pflueger President (Size 35)                   60.00

Thats a 110.00 and you will not be disapointed in either rod or reel! ;)

koko,

The compre is just one step below their crucial line.  Compres Sport:

IM8 graphite

Fuji Hardloy Guides

Exposed foregrip (no other rod makers do this that I know on off the shelf rods)

Couple these with Shimano's lifetime warranty and it makes it a tough cookie to crank in terms of bang for the buck. It is reasonably light and fits well with the 2500 size spinning reel of your choice.

I am not sponsored by Shimano, but I wish I were.  ;D

I found a real good deal at Dicks a few weeks ago on a Shimano Stradic 2500 for $75 and a St.Croix Avid AS68MXF for $75.  After I used a few coupons this combo came at $135+tax.  This set up has been fantastic for soft plastic.

I found a real good deal at Dicks a few weeks ago on a Shimano Stradic 2500 for $75 and a St.Croix Avid AS68MXF for $75. After I used a few coupons this combo came at $135+tax. This set up has been fantastic for soft plastic.

Hmm...

That might be the best deal every reported on this Forum.

Congratulations!

8-)

What about the Pflueger® President 6735X spinning reel? Anyone have one of these? It has great reviews and you also get a 2nd spool with it.... The Shimano Compre looks nice also.... I have never owned a Shimano, what do they compare to?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_51666_100001002_100000000_100001000_100-1-2

I'm getting that same 6735x for my new Avid spinning 68mxf rod.

Heard nothing about good things about this rod at this pricing point.

I have the Pflueger Trion ultralight reel on my ultra light rod and I'm very impressed with it.

So I'm expecting some nice things from the President.