Sign in to follow this  
SimonSays

Baitcasting or Spinning for an All-around rod?

Title says it all, if you only had 1 "do it all, workhorse" rod, would you rather have it be a spinning or baitcasting rod?

edit: and why?  :)

Baitcaster.

For heavier baits, I like BC.

It's easier the throw lighter baits on a rod suited for heavy baits, then throwing a heavy bait on a rod suited for very light baits.

One "all-around" rod only:  MBR844C

If I could have two, my second is a spinning rod & reel: Medium Power/ Fast Action (soft plastics)

A third would be baitcasting: Medium Power/ Moderate Action (treble hook lures)

These are the only three rods you "need" for the vast majority of your bass fishing, but all fishing techniques can be done with one rod only.  

I think either could work, depending on how heavy the baits you throw typically are.  For 1/2 oz and less, a MH spinning rig could work.  For heavier, a MH baitcasting outfit would be a better choice.

7 foot medium castaway spinning rod, abu garcia cardinal 503 with 10 pount triple fish camo

I typically throw lighter weight lures and soft plastics, so I'd go with another SJR722, but in GLX instead of my IMX.  ;D

The question here is not which one we think it 's better for all around, given the chance of getting a good quality setup to match your needs the answer is: which one you feel most comfortable with.

The question here is not which one we think it 's better for all around, given the chance of getting a good quality setup to match your needs the answer is: which one you feel most comfortable with.

No, actually, the question was addressed to everyone, I want to know everyone elses opinion on the matter was.  I already have my preference.

Also, I'm not asking about what model Rod or anything regarding rod brand/quality etc, only rod/reel type (eg Baitcaster or spinning)

It depends on what I'm fishing for.

For bass, baitcasting gear. 7' medium power fast action rod / 6.3:1 reel. You said you didn't really want brands, so I won't mention the Avid rod with Energy Pt reel, that, if forced to, I could use for all my bass fishing. Mostly baits from 1/4oz on up. Heavier line handles better on a baitcaster. I'm a better caster with baitcasting gear, and sometimes accuracy is important. 7' because sometimes you neeed a longer cast.

Walleye, 7' medium power mod-fast action spinning rod. Airrus rod with Energy pt spinning reel. ( sorry, won't do it again. ) Smaller lighter baits, sometimes live bait, long casts, light line, all good reasons to go with spinning tackle.

Pike/Muskie, baitcasting, 7' heavy rod / 5:1 reel and braid. Big baits, big fish, enough said.

Crappie, 7'6" UL spinning rod / 30 size reel for long casts. Little baits. I get mostly 3/4 to 1lb crappie, and they're fun to catch on the UL rod. I get one every now and then on a baitcaster, and it's like reeling in a dishrag.

And last but not least. Bluegill, 3wt fly rod. Because it's some much fun.

Cheers,

GK

Baitcasting for me, hands down.  The control and

...Confidence
I have when using it is uncanny (Posted by: the_Conceited_ReDnEcK)

Tossing spinners, pitching plastics, casting cranks, all even go down to 1/8 oz. and be confident with a lil fine tuning.

Hmmmm,

I fished with spinning tackle for 23 years, before I started using b/c equipment. With about an additional 15 months of b/c experience to two decades+  spinning experience, my answer is

Baitcasting rod and reel

Better, more accurate casting, better control of lure and hooked fish, more sensitive wherever I need sensitivity. My "ideal" all around set-up (theoretical of course, I'm still looking for the perfect "all around" rod)? A 7ft MH fast action rod with a low profile b/c reel with 6.3 or 6.4 speed and strong drag...

As Roadwarrior said, MBR844C! I love my GLX 844C but I use it pretty much only for jigs as I fish jigs most often.

If I had a second rod, it would be a spinning rod, 7ft M Fast or Ex Fast.