Sign in to follow this  
Big T

Good Light Action rod

I have found myself doing alot of Panfishing hear lately, and the cheap Walmart Ultralights just aren't cutting it. I mean they get the job done but I am losing some nice quality fish due to the rod being to whippy. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good 5 1/2 ft light action rod in the 50 to 75 dollar range. I was looking into getting a second Shimano Clarus but I am open to suggestions, Aslo what size reel would you pair with it. I am currently using Plueger Trions in the 20 series but am considering moving up to a 25 or 30 series President or a Sahara 1500. Any input would greatly be appreciated

Sorry for such a long post.

Big T

You might find a St. Croix Avid in the price range with liquidation sales going on at some retailers. I have an AS66MLF which I highly recommend.

Thank RW. I am going to Mrytle Beach in a couple weeks I will have to try the BPS and the Dicks Sporting Good down there. The Dick's here does not carry them and the only other tackle shop in town that carries St. Croix, only has Premiers, Tidemaster and those sucky Triumphs which I made the mistake of buying. This town is more geared towards the Saltwater scene. I mean I literally live 5 minutes from the beach. I can also drive 5 miles west and fish the river or Progress Enegy cooling pond/lake.

Big T

I have found myself doing alot of Panfishing hear lately, and the cheap Walmart Ultralights just aren't cutting it. I mean they get the job done but I am losing some nice quality fish due to the rod being to whippy. I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on a good 5 1/2 ft light action rod in the 50 to 75 dollar range. I was looking into getting a second Shimano Clarus but I am open to suggestions, Aslo what size reel would you pair with it. I am currently using Plueger Trions in the 20 series but am considering moving up to a 25 or 30 series President or a Sahara 1500. Any input would greatly be appreciated

Sorry for such a long post.

Big T

20 series is plenty of reel for panfish, unless you need to cast unusually long distances, then moving up one size may be required. Going with a 5'6" rod, I wouldn't think casting distance is a priority.

As far as the rod goes, there are a lot of rods in that price range. BPS and Cabela's store brands, Shimano, Fenwick, St Croix, ect... You just missed the Cabela's sale on their store brands, but BPS's sale is going strong still. BPS is clearing out the 6 foot light Bionic blade and the 5'6" UL. They also have the Extreme XPS on sale with a 5'6" light being one of them on sale. After all that, if you like the Clarus, by all means, get another one. I hear/read they are good rods.

I'll the second St. Croix Avid.  I have AS60MLF and it is great for weightless 4in Senkos, Mepps inline spinnerbaits and light weight cranks.  I also setup it for a bobber every now and then.  It is just a fun rod to fish.

I have always seen UL rods to be moderate action. Match this with an UL power, and it will be hard to find a rod that isn;t a little whippy.

Here's a Cabela's brand rod that comes in 6'. The extra length may help in hook sets since you will be yanking more line with more leverage. But since it's UL, you should still keep the sensitivity.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20166-cat20374&id=0036324120487a&navCount=2&podId=0036324&parentId=cat20374&masterpathid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IH&rid=&parentType=index&indexId=cat20374&hasJS=true

You might find a St. Croix Avid in the price range with liquidation sales going on at some retailers. I have an AS66MLF which I highly recommend.

Another vote for the Avid. I have this same rod and really like it.

If you do a lot of panfishing, then please do look at the B & M rods. I have two. The one I truly love it the "Sam's Super Sensitive" in 7' length. Matched with a Shimano Symetre and 2# test mono, it's a dynomite rig. IMO.

Hey Big T, you might want to look up the number for the BPS store in myrtle beach and then call ahead. If they don't have the rod in stock they can order it in-store and hold it pending your arrival maybe, it should set you back about $120. I just bought two avids last week at BPS and that's what they ran me a piece.