Sign in to follow this  
NCthompson

Looking at getting a bait cast real for my birthday

anyone know what brand and where to get a baitcast rod and reel for 50 dollars or less? I dont want it to be cheap, but I want it to last a while and do the job

You want a rod and reel for $50 or less and dont want it to be cheap :-/

IMO you get what you pay for and at the price point you are looking at junk. I think you are looking at closer $150 for a decent beginner setup. The Daiwa exceler is about $70 I think and have heard good things about it and BPS has some signature reels that have good reviews as well. For a decent rod you are looking at about $75 too. There are some Shimanos, All stars, BPS all in that price range that are gonna do you alot better in the long run. Dont cheap out now only to regret it later. Spend a little more now and have a setup for years to come.

With 50 bones you are not going to get much in the BC world.

With 50 bones you are not going to get much in the BC world.

You're getting some good advice here. Why not wait a year or two and get some better gear later? Fish what you have and save some money, it's worth it to put this off for awhile.

Look at it this way my man, you got 50 that means you are 50 dollars closer to get something good, reliable and durable. Shell out 50 now and you 'll be a lot farther from something good, reliable and durable.

It can 't get simpler than that.

I 'm not saying that you have to shell out 2 or 300 dollars to get something good, with 80 you can get something good, it 's just a matter of asking, one of the best sub 100 dollars reels I 've tried is the Team Daiwa Procaster 6+1 and this comes from someone who fishes with those 250+ dollars reels.

anyone know what brand and where to get a baitcast rod and reel for 50 dollars or less? I dont want it to be cheap, but I want it to last a while and do the job

Hey!  I was thinking about what you were looking for and I remembered that I had seen an article in field and stream a little while ago with a baitcaster that might fit what your looking for.  Its 25$ and it got a good review there for the value.  I dont know if it is anygood or how durable it is, but it is your suggested price range.  And it spares some cash for a rod also.  Here is the link.  Just click the "next" button right on top of the reels untill you get to number 4 of 7 the "shakespeare synergy".

again its 25$ and got a good review on field and stream, but I never fished it and would recommend with the others and wait a little while.  But here is the link.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/fieldstream/photogallery/article/0,13355,1608752_3,00.html

good luck!

Vic

Stay clear of cheap/junk BC reels. Been there, done that, not good !

But, it's possible to find somethig in your price range($50)

I bought a BPS Extreme in clearance for $47.xx ( retail @$80). got a decent workout the last 2 years, and it holds up realy well, adjustments are easy, and it casts pritty good with 1/4oz and up.

Look for somethig in clearance and sale. At this moment(?), Gander Mountain has 20% off sale of all clearance items.

Thre are good reels for sale in your price range on this forums "Classifieds"

DON'T BUY CHEAP, BUY A BARGAIN !

Good luck

( I still prefer my Daiwas)

If your on a budget of $50, I would hunt for a good deal, save your money or maybe pick up a used one.

As far as bargains go, I was able to pick a Shimano Curado 201 BSF for $40 and a Shimano Calcutta 251 for $35.  Both were new.  Just keep your eyes open.

If your on a budget of $50, I would hunt for a good deal, save your money or maybe pick up a used one.

As far as bargains go, I was able to pick a Shimano Curado 201 BSF for $40 and a Shimano Calcutta 251 for $35.  Both were new.  Just keep your eyes open.

I agree. You might even want to try ebay as they have some really good deals on reels!

C'mon guys... you can find at least Decent reels for that, especially looking for deals.  How about the new Daiwa Megaforce with the Twitchin bar? Priced at $59 at BPS.

C'mon guys... you can find at least Decent reels for that, especially looking for deals.  How about the new Daiwa Megaforce with the Twitchin bar? Priced at $59 at BPS.

From what it sounds like, he wants a rod/reel for $50 all together. $25 rod  $25 reel. Just not possible.

As everyone else said, save up, and get something nicer. Raul made a great point.

Based on my recent experience with some Sahkespere equipment I'd stay away from them.

You are virtualy asking the impossible getting a BC and a rod for $50 total. You'd be hard pressed to get a decent spinning for that. Ebay would be a possibility maybe and or coupled with a Wally world rod ( low eend Shimano rod or whatever they have. Maybe a used Pflueger Echelon BC but I have no experience with the quality of that reel.

Maybe your best shot is to send $10 to fishtank and have him watch for deals for you LOL man those were bargains

I just checked and BPS lists a Diawa Procaster with a BPS rod for $65. I don't know if it is the same 6 + 1 as Raul posted but Daiwa makes some decent stuff.  Another option if nearby is maybe a Gander mountain series. You might be able to get them in the store for your price.

I think everyone is making good points here. And it is sound advice.

But think of it this way... there are two guys and Guy A has 50$ to spend on a combo now to fish with. Guy B waits a year and go for 100$ combo that would be better and last a bit longer.

Well now, Guy A with the 50$ combo is fishing now while Guy B is waiting for the better equiptment is watching from the banks dreaming of a better setup.

I dont know, but I'd rather be Guy A fishing and having fun with cheap equiptment that may not last but 3 years than Guy B who is on the banks watching.

Sure there is a reason to spend extra money on better equiptment. But if thats all you have to spend, I wouldn't wait and just start having a good time.

They weren't heirloom rods and reels but they still caught fish!

My advice, if thats what you have to spend then get spending and have fun. Then when you can get more funds up, then upgrade at that point.  In the future you will earn more money to spend on things that you like better, you will only enjoy them so much more.

Vic (Guy A)

C'mon guys... you can find at least Decent reels for that, especially looking for deals. How about the new Daiwa Megaforce with the Twitchin bar? Priced at $59 at BPS.

Nope, you are getting it all wrong, deals are deals, sales are sales, finding something more expensive at a good price ( deal or sale ) is a completely different animal than purchasing retail. For 50 dollars retail in the BC world you are not going to find anything long lasting.

Now here 's some math for you El Cheapo advisors guys:

1994 Curado 200, purchase price = $120

2008 same 1994 Curado still going strong ( I can easily squeeze another 10 years of use and abuse out of him )

120/ 14 years of use = 8.58 dollars A YEAR, I spend more than that in a day in Cokes.  :;)

1984 Abu Garcia 521 XLT plus, purchase price $95 ( which in those days was an obscene price )

2008 same 1984 Abu still going strong ( and like in the previous case I can easily squeeze another 10 years of use and abuse )

95 / 24 years of use and abuse = 3.95 dollars A YEAR, you can 't purchase a pack of cigarretes with 3.95.  ::)

If that ain 't a deal I don 't know what else can be called a deal.

Right.  When I said "especially looking for deals." Then suggested the Daiwa, I wasn't claiming that was a "deal," just suggesting a reel that was close to $50.  I didn't mean to associate that reel with the word "deal." Sorry.