Sign in to follow this  
low_pro

What reel do you use for scum and muck?

Round or low pro? What gear ratio? What lb test line?

I'm currently using a round BPS 5.2:1 baitcaster with 15lb Yo-Zuri hybrid. It's a great reel for hoisting bass out of cover BUT I am having trouble casting light weights such as a 1/8th ounce Texas rig.

Is a 5.2:1 preffered over a 6.3:1 for this type of fishing? Will a low pro bc cast this thick line very well? Is a low profile reel strong enough for thick cover fishing?

I was thinking of the Plueger Criterion which has 5.1:1. Just seeing what you guys think....

I used a citica 201 last summber with a 6.2:1 ratio.  A faster gearing will get your bait back faster, giving you more casts.  Lower gearing will give you more cranking power.

As far as round reel or low profile, stick with what you're comfortable with.  

Have you thought of switching to braided line?  30 lb test will have the diameter of 8 lb mono, 40lb - 10lb dia. , 50lb -12 lb dia.  These super lines  slice through grass on hook sets, cast wonderfully, and have practically zero memory.

Yes, I have thought about using braid becuase I use braid on my spinning equipment...  but I wasn't sure for slow presentations.

I seem to catch more fish on a low vis line as the water is pretty clear and the fish are slightly pressured around here...

Well, the simple answer is a heavier lure. It sounds like you have the right equipment for the muck, but it's not designed for light lures.

I use a Shimano Calcutta 251 for my dirty work.  The reel is easy to clean and simple to use.  I also use 15lb P-Line Floroclear but the Yo-Zuri 15lb should be fine.  I think like RW said I would use a heavier lure.  With a heavier lure you'll punch through stuff easily.  For Texas rigged setup, I use a 1/4 or 3/8 oz bullet weight or Tru-Tungsten flipping weight. If the stuff is real thick you might need some thing heavier than that.