Sign in to follow this  
FishTank

Shimano Stradic FI vs Shimano Sustain FE????

What is the major difference between these two reels besides bearing count?  It took a close look at both of these new reels and couldn't see alot of difference.  Any thoughts on these two reels?

I am not totally sure, but the booklet that came with my stradic FI, mentioned the sustain in every subject in it.  It looks to me that there isnt much difference besides the $100 price gap.

Both of these reels have been completely redesigned, with many features previously only available in a Stella. I haven't fished the new Sustain, but I have the older model. I never felt this model was an upgrade compared to the Stradic 2500FH. This may not be the case when comparing the two new offerings, but in my view the Sustain has never developed a niche in the Shimano line-up. There simply haven't (in the past) been enough differences in the models to make sense.

Anyhow, based on my prior experience, I would go with the Stradic FI.

8-)

Both of these reels have been completely redesigned, with many features previously only available in a Stella. I haven't fished the new Sustain, but I have the older model. I never felt this model was an upgrade compared to the Stradic 2500FH. This may not be the case when comparing the two new offerings, but in my view the Sustain has never developed a niche in the Shimano line-up. There simply haven't (in the past) been enough differences in the models to make sense.

Anyhow, based on my prior experience, I would go with the Stradic FI.

8-)

Of all the models of Shimano reels, I've always felt that Sustain was among those offering the "least" bang for the buck.

Apparently many anglers feel the same, because Sustain has never generated the following

that Stradic and Stella have enjoyed. Like Roadwarrior, I would also go with the Stradic FI

Roger

I went down to Shimano (as it's down the street from where I work) and talked to the guys and they said the sustain really isn't worth the extra money unless you just want it for cosmetics. The primary inards of the reel are the same as the stradic. Same drag, bail, and gears. Only difference is there are 2 more ball bearings and titanium lip on the spool. Anywho, they said if you want a Sustain, might as well get a stella or stick with a stradic FI.

Now with that being said, I posted this topic at the tackletour forum and recieved a reply from a reputable Shimano employee:

"The Sustain has 2 more bearings as already stated. One is in the spool to allow for a more precise drag even during light settings. This helps maintain spool alignment similar to the Stella. The other is in the handle.

The Titanium coated spool lip is on both spools not just one (As in the past). This is very expensive and causes the increase in cost. The Sustain is a much nicer reel overall. I am sorry that our CS rep misinformed you"

I hope this helps... I personally will be going with a Stradic 1000FI or a Stella 1000FB

I haven't figured out if I want to try the new technology or get the cream of the crop old technology.....

Personally I'd get the new stradic. with the extra money left over you can probably get a loomis glx rod to mount on. Unless the money is not a concern then get the new stella.

To me a spinning reel of that size is really not going to make that much of a difference. I'm sure the drag of the new stradic will be smooth and will hold up just fine.