Sign in to follow this  
MNGeorge

Flourocarbon Manageability

I want to use 10# flourocarbon on a baitcaster to throw flukes.  I have tried Seaguar, Vanish, Vanish Transition and Trilene 100% Flourocarbon.  The Trilene 100% has proven to be by far the most manageable, but even with the KVD line conditioner, it still requires a fair amount of thumbing to prevent over runs or loosening of the line on the spool.  Is there a really manageable flourocarbon out there or do I just have to practice more with what I have?   Thanks.

I have been using 12lb Trilene Professional and have had zero issues with it but I did notice that when I used the KVD line conditioner, after the line had been dry for a couple of days the line become much stiffer.  I would re-apply and it would be better but still stiff.  I eventually stopped using it on this line and it has been just fine.

If you can stand to step away from pure fluoro, then I'd recommend Yo-Zuri hybrid copoly.  It's a little stiffer than mono, but more manageable than pure fluoro.  It casts well from a baitcaster.  It's much cheaper than fluoro.  And it has very, very little stretch.  

Roadwarrior recommended it.  I hated it when I first tried it, now it's one my favorite lines.  

I'm using trilene fluorocarbon this year as well.....Like all fluorocarbon line this line has failed to impress me in manageability as well.I have one more line i want to try before i give up and that seaguar.

I do however like BPS XPS fluorocarbon...it's the only line that gave me the least amount of problems.

I just started using the Yozuri-Hybrid 12lb test, and it is a lot more manageable than fluro, but it has much more visiblity than fluro.  If you get it, you should know the 8lb test is approx. strong as normal 10-12 lb mono, plus it will cut down on diamater size.

I got the 12lb, and I wish I got the 8lb, but I still like it.  It's difficult to get used to a new type of line (I prefer mono), but I'm sure I'll be happy in the grass this summer.

My fluke set-up consisits of 10lb Power Pro braid and a 3 foot leader of Gamma Edge floro. Nearly zero strech, casts a mile, no twist issues.

Often I remove the leader and fish it straight braid. Usually only use the leader if fish are short striking or something makes me think they are line shy.

May I add, I fish flukes fast and near the surface. I suppose that if I fished them slower and deeper than I would probably use a leader all the time.

I just bought the P-Line HALO flourocarbon in 12#. Is a little stiff but i am use to 8# PLine Evolution.

Anyone use HALO line?

I use mainly P-Line 100% Fluorocarbon.  It is very managable, a little stiffer than mono but w/ the proper reel adjustments it works just as well as mono.  I spray KVD line and lure to it to make it even more managable. :(

I'm using trilene fluorocarbon this year as well.....Like all fluorocarbon line this line has failed to impress me in manageability as well.I have one more line i want to try before i give up and that seaguar.

I'm with ya there. Tried flouro and am rather un-impressed.

Pros - Strong, nearly invisible

cons - very stiff, bad line twist

I did hear that seaguar is more managable.. I'd like someone else to try it first because I dont want to take my trilene mono off. :(

Someone at my club said that he puts his flurocarbon spool in warm water for 30 minutes before he puts it on his reel. I tried it and it does make the line much easier to mangage. I have been doing this for a couple months and it doesn't appear to weaken the line at all. I'd recomend trying that before you renounce fluourocarbon completely.

I'm with ya there. Tried flouro and am rather un-impressed.

Pros - Strong, nearly invisible

cons - very stiff, bad line twist

I did hear that seaguar is more managable.. I'd like someone else to try it first because I dont want to take my trilene mono off. :(

Seaguar was the first one I tried and it was the worst of all I've tried.  It was a couple of years ago when I tried it, but unless they've changed their formaula, you will find it to be VERY wiry.

last week i found an old spool of berkley's iron silk #12 (copolymer i believe) that was never opened and put it on a Quantum TE B/C. I have used it a couple of times and think its pretty good stuff. I have no issues with it as of yet. It is manageable and casts well.

The only problem is I dont think they sell it anymore...???