Sign in to follow this  
The_Bass_Whisperer

Jitterbugs- Do they rely work?

I have never been taught how to use theese, so I come to my friendly internet forum.  I also am using one from a 7-11 and it is an Almost-Arbocast, and it is not made very well the paint started to run and the lil front bill thingy rusted, Now I am shure there is a better brand out there which is it????????????

Thanks!

ummmmm, you buy lures at 7-11?  

I'd go with an Arbogast jitterbug.  The only one I can ever catch bass on is the smallest one.  I'm not sure where you are located, but topwater lures for me atleast, aren't the #1 choice lure this time of year.  It is too cold IMO.  

The jitterbug is almost an "idiot proof" lure.  You just cast it out, and retrieve it at a steady pace so that it makes a bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop-bloop sound.  Then after you get the hang of it, vary the retrieve by pausing your retrieve here and there, and twitching it like a pop-r.  Of my favorite topwater lures, the jitterbug comes in around 2nd or 3rd.

For night fishing or in a real cloudy foggy day they can be leathal. Sometimes you simple retreive then in at a steady pace other times throw them out let them sit up to a couple minutes, reel in and you may have a big suprize. One night in July in Ct my son and I caught and released over 50 bass using jitterbugs. We kept fishing till we had lost all the Jitterbugs, next winter I bought lots of them on ebay real cheap now I have 2-3 of every color and size just waiting for that right time.

I think they work. I don't throw them much but, in the summer while night fishing I throw a Zara Spook and my buddy likes to throw a Jitterbug and he usually cleans my clock. The black seems to work well for him. I have also watched him throw those Cicadas during the day and do well, which reminds me, I need to get some of those I guess, lol.

They are one of the greatest lures ever invented! Of my top 3 all time topwaters jitterbugs are #2 on the list right behind the heddon tiny torpedo.

Allen

The "Arbogast" jitterbug is a favorite of mine. They absolutely work and I think it's one of the "must have" topwater baits, particularly for you river fisherman and those who like to fish at night. The 5/8oz model with the clicker has been exceptional for me during summer months.

I Agree, the Jitterbug is definitely a must have lure. It's so old, I think some people forget about it, but it catches numbers of fish and big fish. Excellent evening bait. I like the bigger 3" model in black.

In addition to the above, they're a fun bait to use especially at night because you can actually tell what your lure is doing in the dark.  Unless you're fishing under a decent moon it's hard to tell where your lure is or what it's doing.  You get real obvious feedback from a Jitterbug though.  Alligators seem to like the sound, not always a plus.  Kinda creepy when a gator head just appears behind your lure with those reptilian eyes.   ;)

My goto bait for night,early morning fishing together with a black buzzbait

jitterbugs wow. my old fishing buddy died (GOD bless him). he taught me the art of jigger fishing with a giant musky jitterbug. used a musky jitter bug with with large treble hooks(and i mean large) attached ,on a long trout bamboo pole. the jitterbug was tied to the end with 120 lb braid doubled(tag end only 8ins),and spiraled half way down the pole(sometimes the huge florida bass broke the pole). then,you could still land by overhanding down the broken pole. this was a old turn of the century way to catch the biggest fish in the pond(AND I MEAN BIG SAW A 17 LBER THAT WAS CAUGHT THIS WAY). usually,fished in front of a canoe(holding the bamboo pole straight ahead,while some one paddled the canoe) at night. the jitterbug chugged along in the moon light and the bites were tremendous. scares the blank out of you. one nights catch equaled 5 fish from 9lbs to 17lbs in a local lake. had pics to prove it.

Pete s brings up an excellent point. The strikes on this lure at night can be very unnerving. Many a night I've been out by myself during a good jitterbug bite, actually dreading the next strike. Those vicious hits right next to the boat can make you weak in the knees!

Jitterbugs REALLY work...

They are among those topwater lures that can get you fish even when there is no serious topwater bite.

Black work really well at dawn and dusk, chartrause if the water is muddy or stained, frog with white belly in clear water. Best size for me has been the 5/8oz, though I have also been using smaller and bigger ones.

As mentioned above, play a bit with the retrieve. They hit them on a steady retrieve, but but they also hit them well when you make a pause or two (5-10 seconds pause) once you start retrieving them again. Also: When you cast it, let it sit until all ripples have disappeared, then give it a few seconds, and then start retrieving, for quite often they hit it as soon as it starts moving.

Get the original (Arbogast) ones - they are deadly...

post-6414-130162869808_thumb.jpg

Jitterbugs REALLY work...

Black work really well at dawn and dusk, chartrause if the water is muddy or stained, frog with white belly in clear water. quote]

Oops - I meant yellow, not chartrause - that bright deep yellow of the Arbogast series...

I've tried my hand at Jitterbugs quite a bit over the past year, throughout all hours of the day and night, all kinds of weather, and from all over my pond.  I tried them at the times and conditions that are supposed to produce with Jitterbugs, yet I've never got so much as a strike on them.  However, buzzbaits in the exact same colors cause the fish to go wild, and I can at least get a strike nearly every time I throw one and catch a good amount.

So for me, I don't consider Jitterbugs to be a really great bait.  It's possible that pond-fishing is the cause of my troubles with them.  As with anything, I guess it's best to buy one or two and give them a try.  Even though I've only been fishing for a couple of years, I've already learned that trial-and-error is one of the best ways to learn what works.  They work great for most people, maybe I'm just weird.

The details have been covered in previous posts.  To summarize, the jitterbug is a great lure for topwater and for fishing at night.  Otherwise, why would the darn things have been around so long!!  They are a very useful fishing tool when used under the right circumstances.  

LookinForLunkers, if you're knocking them dead on buzzbaits, I wouldn't sweat the fact that you haven't had much success with jitterbugs, but I wouldn't give up on them either.  I think you will eventually find a place for them.  

Guest the_muddy_man

I have used this lure for years. I have limited sucsess with it but I love using it This last year I tried putting Scorpion hooks on it and still miss a lot of hits I have 2 buddies who kill em at night with black Jitterbugs I have watched them and picked their brains but I cant get the motion they use ( very slow and stop and go) and I miss the hits by setting the hook WAY TOO FAST I keep a couple handy but I rarely use them anymore It AINT THE LURES FAULT its the fisherman's fault ;)

senile1, I'll definitely keep throwing them, especially with all the good reviews they consistently get, I just need to build up some confidence in them myself.  I've even still got one that's never been opened yet.  

jitterbugs wow. my old fishing buddy died (GOD bless him). he taught me the art of jigger fishing with a giant musky jitterbug. used a musky jitter bug with with large treble hooks(and i mean large) attached ,on a long trout bamboo pole. the jitterbug was tied to the end with 120 lb braid doubled(tag end only 8ins),and spiraled half way down the pole(sometimes the huge florida bass broke the pole). then,you could still land by overhanding down the broken pole. this was a old turn of the century way to catch the biggest fish in the pond(AND I MEAN BIG SAW A 17 LBER THAT WAS CAUGHT THIS WAY). usually,fished in front of a canoe(holding the bamboo pole straight ahead,while some one paddled the canoe) at night. the jitterbug chugged along in the moon light and the bites were tremendous. scares the blank out of you. one nights catch equaled 5 fish from 9lbs to 17lbs in a local lake. had pics to prove it.

This is why I don't do night fishing with jitterbugs in a canoe. Last time I did, I got a strike so vicious I flipped my canoe. Being in the water on a summer night in Florida when gators are on the hunt is VERY nerve-racking. But I have to admit the strike scared me worse than being in the water since it literally only took me about ten seconds to get back in the canoe.