Sign in to follow this  
SDoolittle

Upgrading Gear

It looks like I'll be heading back to Iraq in December. I'm single and have few bills, so with the money I save while I'm gone, I want to upgrade my gear. My plan is to order new rods and reels on alternating months so when I return I'll have six new professional grade rigs. So my question is, if you could pick any rod/reel combination for any bass fishing application, what would you choose?

I am partial to Gloomis rods and Shimano reels.  For me a must have is Gloomis 7' IMX or GLX MHF 843C and an 844C paired with what ever reel you choose.  For me it is Curado's.

A word to the wise , if you are going to buy high end rods and reels , it would be better to actually handle the rods and reels in person. That way you will be able to have a outfit that is best suited to your taste and balanced correctly .

JMHO

A word to the wise , if you are going to buy high end rods and reels , it would be better to actually handle the rods and reels in person. That way you will be able to have a outfit that is best suited to your taste and balanced correctly .

JMHO

Yeah, I know, but having something to look foward to every month goes a long way in combat.

G-Loomis  GLX BCR853.  This is the 7'1  12-16LB worm rod.

Shimano Calcutta TE100DC.

This is going to set you back about $800-$900 but very well worth it.  I also believe in holding the rod and reel before buying but no need to do so with this set up.

If you have the money I would go get a custom built rod by a well known rod builder. It will out perform any G Loomis or St Croix top of the line rod, but it wont be cheap. For reels I love Shimano, they last forever and work great.

G-Loomis GLX BCR853. This is the 7'1 12-16LB worm rod.

Shimano Calcutta TE100DC.

This is going to set you back about $800-$900 but very well worth it. I also believe in holding the rod and reel before buying but no need to do so with this set up.

EXCELLENT place to start!

I was going to suggest the GLX MBR844C/ Chronarch CH50MG.

Deep cranking, Lamiglas SR705R/ CTE200GT.

For soft plastics, St. Croix Legend Elite ES70MF/ Stella 2500FD.

Jerkbaits, topwater, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits, St. Croix Avid

AVC66MF/ Shimano Core 100MG.

8-)

If you have the money I would go get a custom built rod by a well known rod builder.  It will out perform any G Loomis or St Croix top of the line rod, but it wont be cheap.  For reels I love Shimano, they last forever and work great.

Hard to argue against the custom rod.   :)

kistler magnesiums and abu garcia revos are all you need. If your trying to save some money id recomend buying the reels used, but i always try to by my rods brand new.

loomis (imx or glx)

st croix (avid or higher)

shimano curado 200e

shimano stradic 2500

ive never tried a dobyns but im looking into the 704c