Sign in to follow this  
fish4life6

favorite reel type

I chose baitcating, which I prefer but I have an UL spinning outfit for bluegill and one Med for Bass, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do! 8-)

Mark me for baitcasting.  Its just so much more comfortable to have both your hands at relatively the same height.  Using a spinning rig all day wears on my shoulders and back. That said, I have two spinning rigs that I use pretty frequently for light line techniques, skipping, and for tubes in deep water.  Anything that requires constant casting and retrieving is a <pun>drag</pun> on spinning gear, but for some things, its the right tool.

Spinning, so much easier plus I can cast it pretty far (shore pounder) and out of necessity I have learned a modified flip and pitch technique.

-sm

Without a doubt, I use baitcasters more. There are times when I need a spinning reel setup though. Especially when using really light tackle. I've got a habit of throwing heavy lures. Doug Hannon says you throw the big stuff to catch the big stuff. I'm out to catch the big'ens. When the weather gets colder I turn to smaller lures though.

Bait Caster for me as well.  But sometimes I wonder why I torture myself with them.  Oh wait I know because they are so so pretty.lol

Later, :)

Finesse: Spinning tackle

Powerfishing: Baitcasting gear

I like them equally, but have a strong preference

for one over the other for specific techniques.

8-)

Baitcasters are easier for me.  Like my spinning gear, but with bigger hands and thicker fingers, I seem to have a problem getting my finger out of the way at the tail end of my casts.  Have more difficulty with that than I do with backlashes.

Baitcasting, I learned to fish with one and my lure placement is superior with it compared to spinning.

Baitcasters!!

Spinning only when I'm fishing with light finesse worms and it's not possible to use the baitcast combo.

Finesse: Spinning tackle

Powerfishing: Baitcasting gear

I like them equally, but have a strong preference

for one over the other for specific techniques.

X2 I could't have said it better.

A third option of both or neither ought to be added for this minority of no preference anglers that let the technique or application dicated the reel type to use.  ;D