Sign in to follow this  
Btech

Keepin' it Reel

After hours on end of reading about reels im still stuck as to which one would be best for me. I fish at least 4X a week and stay out all Weekend Bass fishing. I also am thinking about hunting carp and some large Catfish in the Catawba river here in North Carolina. While bass fishing i use mostly Soft bait, and am looking to expand out and try some other types of bait, can anyone recomend a new reel as mine was a handme down that is now worn out and breaking. its an openface with the bail wire (I dont know much on the names but am researching " Spinning?" ) Im a beginner but spend alot of time on the water and want to make sure the one i buy will be good for the next year or so. Budget would be arround 50 - 75 tops... A buddy reccomended the Uglystick pole and may buy one (Unless another is sugested). Any help would be appriciated

Reel: Shimano Symtre 2500 series can be found for around $50.

http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0023116118273a.shtml

Others will give you suggestions on some good,

inexpensive rods,but at least look at something

other than an Ugly Stick.

Be sure to keep an eye on our "Flea Market". You'll

find some killer deals in that section of the Forum.

8-)

Btech, welcome to the forums. Do you have a budget figure for the rod? If you can spend $75 - 100 on a rod along with the Symetre that RW suggested you'll have yourself a decent combo.  There are a few rods in this price range that perform well.

My Pole i would spend about 30 - 50 (If that right less on pole more on reel???) I fish mostly small ponds and lakes but would like to start hitting some larger bodies soon. all from land right now trying to perfect that before i lookinto a johnboat. I dont want to go too high end so i can save some money for tackle and beer :)  So no Ugly stick huh.. ok Thought that was kinda trendy.

Btech, here's a link to BassPro shops for spinning rods. Scroll through these pages and you'll see that "high end" can be pretty high priced. There are some rods in your price range though. Some rods that I would consider in your price range are the Berkley Lightning listed at $34.99 and the clearance special on the St Croix Premier 6 foot spinning rods for $59.77 (slightly above your range but this is a good buy for a Premier). I'm sure there are other people here who can fill you in on some other good buys as well.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SportingGoods_All%2BProducts%252F%252F%252F%252FFreshwater%2BFishing%252F%252F%252F%252FRods%252F%252F%252F%252FSpinning_10151_-1_10001_navbar_page1_N_100002002_100000000_100002000_false_25___3

In the 30-50 dollar range I would reccomend the Berkley Lightning Rod. They are supprisingly good rods for the money. I havent owned an ugly stick in a while but unless they have changed they are heavy and have no balance.

Ok the rods seem a little easier to pick and comeby but back to the reel , how do you determin the geer ratio ? / Size reel Im assuming nothing small (Seems like there are alot of tiny reels) I like the one you picked out R.W. but they have a few diff ones listed what should i incorperate when picking?

You will have to shop around because a new model has been

introduced.  You need to find the 2500FI series for the $50

price. Cabela's is sold out of this and the 1500FI.

8-)

Btech, I apologize for failing to enter the link for the rods at Basspro, above. I modified the post and it is there now.

Regarding the reel, I've heard good things about the Pflueger President.  These are approximately $59 - 65 at BassPro shops.  I, personally, don't own one.

Spinning reels are rated as 500, 750, 1000, 2500, 3500 and 4500.

The 2500 size is the best overall size, no matter the brand.

As for a rod, try any graphite spinning rod. The IM-7 or 8 are very good, but don't get too hung up on the ratings. Graphite has the best "feel" when fishing.

Read the rod's specifications so you will know the best line test and bait weight for the rod.

Then match your rigs with the rod's specs and you are good to go.

As for a combo, check out Cabella's and Bass Pro Shop's combos. Great buys.

Good luck.  :)

Do yourself a huge favor and try to get out to a tackle shop so you can try different reels on different rods so you can get a feel for different rigs- you dont want to end up with a rig that is too heavy at one end(either tip heavy or butt heavy) Search the forums here for past discussions on rod balance, too much to get into here.

OR just get one of the combos from BPS or Cabela's and you won't have to deal with it, the work has been done for you. Good time of the year to get a deal.

Btech,

What lures you'll be using will determine what equipment will best suit your needs.  The information I'm about to give you is what most anglers suggest for specific types of fishing applications.

Reel size: 2500 is usually the norm when fishing for largemouth, smallmouth and most freshwater game fish.  You can go up a notch to a 3000 series or down a notch to a 2000 series, but one of the most important factors is having a reel with a big enough spool to hold a good amount of 6 to 10-pound test fishing line.  Since that is what size line most anglers use when targeting game fish.

Reel ratios: 5.2:1 is what is recommended for lipped crankbaits and spinnerbaits.  You want to retrieve these lures at a slower pace so not to disrupt their "natural" action.  6.2:1 is good for everything else... lipless cranks, buzzbaits and other topwater lures because their action is at it's best when retrieved at a higher speed.  For soft plastics, either of these two would suffice.

if you do that much fishing, do yourself a favor and get some nice equipment.

reel = shimano symetre 2500

buy that for now and save up for a decent rod

id spend at least 80 on the rod, st. croix or shimano. (both have excellent warranties)

for the rod i recommend a 6' to 7' length, fast or extra fast tip, with a lure rating of 1/8-1/2oz or 3/16-5/8oz. these are the best specs for an all around spinning rod in my opinion

EDIT: i recommended an extra fast taper but for an all around rod you would probably wouldnt want that if you plan on throwing crankbaits

Spinning reels are rated as 500, 750, 1000, 2500, 3500 and 4500.

Good luck. :)

Except Pflueger is not rated this way. They typ go by a 25, 30, 35 or 40 size. The first 2 numbers depends on the model of the reel ex 6025

A 30 or 35 size would be similar to a Shimano 2500 size. Size is generaly related to line size and capacity. You need to know what size line you will be using to pick the reel. To know the line size you need to know the type of fish you will be after. In short 8lb test for spinning gear is pretty routine unless you need to get a fish out quick do to weeds etc then often a much higher linze size is used.

You honestly cannot go wrong with the following combo and it brings you in under your budget by quite a little bit.

Pflueger Trion GX-7 Spinning Combo

Very nice reel and a very nice rod and plenty of choices for rod length and reel size.

Later, :)