Sign in to follow this  
MSPbass

topwater rod

I'm noticing new "topwater" rods coming out and they seem to be shorter sticks. How do you all work topwater baits? Would you throw a buzzbait (my recently re-found favorite) on the same rod as, say, a Spook or Skitter Pop or Sammy? They are very different' but still all a "topwater" baits. How about as Floating Rapala or any jerk bait, for that matter?

My "topwater" rod is my most versatile baitcaster. The rod is a

St. Croix Avid AVC66MF with a soft tip. This rod is also my "all

around" rod for all treble hook lures, buzzbaits and spinnerbaits.

8-)

My topwater plug rod is the one RW mentioned.  As far as I'm concerned, it's perfect for throwing spooks.

I throw buzzbaits on the same rod I throw my spinnerbaits on.  The AC66MF will certainly work for that, but I prefer my 6'9" Kistler MgAPC for that purpose.

My personal Favorite is an older Berkley Bionix. It is a 6' Med with the fuji guides.  I wish Bekley still made the rod and still used fuji guides.  I hate those stainless inserts.

I used this rod alot last season.  Seemed the smallies were suckers for topwaters this past year.  Lot of Fun.

Ern

when it comes to most working baits...poppers, chuggers, walkers and hard jerks...am also in the 6'6" mf boat with an mbr782.

as well, an excellent choice for shallow and medium cranks.   :)

i'm use almost the same rod as previously mentioned except mine's the spinning version.  st. croix avid as66mf.  it performs great on any working bait.  i also use my spinnerbait rod for throwing  buzzbaits.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I'm noticing new "topwater" rods coming out and they seem to be shorter sticks. How do you all work topwater baits? Would you throw a buzzbait (my recently re-found favorite) on the same rod as, say, a Spook or Skitter Pop or Sammy? They are very different' but still all a "topwater" baits. How about as Floating Rapala or any jerk bait, for that matter?
I use a shorter rod (6' M/F All Star) because I'm not real tall, and use a downward, or down and to the side stroke when walking TW baits.  A 6'2" rod with a short handle like my 6'er would be perfect.  

I would not use it for buzzbaits, as I like my spinner bait rod for this, but your thinking on jerks is sound.  My TW rod really serves as my "TW/Slashbait" rod.  I throw Pointers, X-Raps, and the like.  This fits in line with my philosophy of "application specific" tools, not "technique or bait specific" approach.  Treble hooks, short downward strokes, good sensitivity (mostly for suspenders, not TW), and somewhat bouyant line  dictate my choice.