Sign in to follow this  
Ready2Fish

best combo for shaky head

what is the best spinning rod and reel comboniation for shaky head fishing? going to be putting the money in to purchase them very soon!

the ideal rod for me would be 6.5' to 7' spinning rod with an extra fast action. id prob get one with a lure rating of 1/8 to 3/8oz.

id suggest st. croix avid or better or loomis imx or better.

That would depend greatly on how heavy is the jighead.

Get a good spinning reel that you like, I am an Abu fan. But the rod, I love my 6'8" Cumara with medium action.  I use it with 8lb fluoro and a 1/4 oz head all year long.  I love that setup and the Cumara is sick.

when the ice melts I am using a Gloomis shr 822 6' 10"   8to12 lb test 1/8 to 5/16 lure wght. ex fast tip and floooger supreme xt 8035. 8-)

For my Shakey head fishing I use a 6'8'' M Avid spinning rod with an X-fast tip.  BPS Pro qualifier 2000 wide spool spinning reel and 10 lb test Fireline.  This setup also doubles as my wacky jig rig as well.

I agree with pretty much everyone else. I prefer a 6'6"-7' Medium Extra fast rod

My ideal combo is my 6'7" M Carrot Stick with Daiwa Sol 2500 and 6lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon. I fish primarily Spot removers, and Owner sled heads from 1/4 to 3/8 oz.

I throw shakey heads probally more than any other lure. I've had several rods and a few reels but I have finally settled on my shimano sustain 100fe and my st. croix mojo wacky rig 6'8 M spinning rod. can't say enough about that rod and for 90 bucks i give it a 9.5 out of 10. only thing could make it better is the warranty on it.

• Like 1

when the ice melts I am using a Gloomis shr 822 6' 10" 8to12 lb test 1/8 to 5/16 lure wght. ex fast tip and floooger supreme xt 8035. 8-)

You definately won't be dissapointed I can assure you of that. I have the Loomis SHR821 with a Pflueger Supreme 8030. (I like smaller reels for some reason)

Great combo.

I was having a blast with a Dobyns 702 S / Shimano Stradic. I now use a Dobyns 702 Casting for shaky head fishing even with 1/8oz I just like baitcasters better.

I use my St Croix Avid AS70MF spinning rod, paired with a Pflueger Supreme 8035. 8lb Trilene 100% fluorocarbon on one spool for fishing around rocks, wood, dock posts, 10lb Power Pro for fishing in weeds.

The Loomis SHR 822 in GLX and the standard version are sweet shakey head sticks.  The BSR 802 and 852 GLX are also amazing shakey head rods.  I like larger spinning reels, so the Stella 3000 is sweet, but the Sustain is very nice as well.  The offerings from Daiwa are very nice starting with the Fuego and of course the Steez...

Important note:  I think my issue below got replied to the wrong topic...but I did buy these rods for shaky heads, tubes, and heavy drop-shotting.

Since alot of my buddies and the guys at the local shop keep telling me to go Dobyns, I picked up two 702SF Champion (1st Generation) rods (1 for me, 1 for my brother) on a clearance. Then I kept hearing about breakage problems, which is why Gary Dobyns went from China to Korea for his builders. So do I need to worry about my rods I just picked up? I still feel like I got a screamin' deal ($119 ea). I kept reading about tip breakage. Any skinny on that? I'm hopin' you tell me, NO NEED TO WORRY ABOUT IT.

Thanx Chris!  I appreciate the vote of assurance!