Sign in to follow this  
The Yankee Fist

Who prefers round casting reels to low profile?

ME  ;)

I prefer them for some techniques. I have two CTE200GT.

One is on a jig/ weighted soft plastics rig: MBR844C.

The other is on my big and deep cranking rod: Lamiglas

SR705R.

8-)

I love my little pro max/black max,s 1600,s and 3600,s along with my sm 1600,s up to my c-3,s c-4,s and c-5,s these reels are worthy as family heirlooms :)i prefer them over my revo,s even just something about round reels  8-)

While I don't prefer them, I really do like them.  Don't fish one now but started with the BPS Pro Qualifier and would really like to get a Cardiff or even a Calcutta if I get rid of my E5, an idea which I keep toying with.

I like that shape and the sturdiness. I have an old Quantum IRON IRC....Tougher than a rusted nut it is.

On my newest "do all" Baitcast I think I am going to use a 200te Calcutta. I am going to caress one this week at Cabela's. ;)

out of my 12, 6 of those are round. 3 c4 4600 and 3 c3 4600 and i also have a redfish nation round reel as an emergency backup. i honestly think i will always have them. built like a tank and if you take care of them they will last forever. but i like my low profiles too. but i pretty much learned how to throw a round one so they will always have a place in my heart.

I have an Abu Record for snook and tarpon, a Japanese Calcutta 100 that is absolutely smooth that I use for T-rigging, and a Calcutta 200GTB for swimbaits.  

I think round reels still have a spot in the Bass world for those who like them and don't mind the extra weight.

Back in the 60's when I was just a little guy, I drooled over the red Abu Garcia.  Looks classic to me.  Never got the red one (not sure what that model really is) but picked up a C3 a couple years ago and a C4 last year.