Sign in to follow this  
JonQBoat

poor casting distance

I have a 6'6'' Medium Heavy Ugly Stik spinning rod, Mitchell 300, Stren 14-lb. mono, and can't cast worm (or anything else) a satisfactory distance. Problems with setup?

Other than using 14 lb line, I's say go down to 8 lb, 10 at most, providing everything is in good cond. Also could be the rod.

It could be anything from to stiff of a rod for the lure (loading of rod), poor spinning reel (small spool), poorly spooled line (kinks, old or too stiff) or possibly other factors.

What weight lure are you trying to through as this would be the first thing I would look at?

Steve

I would go down to 8 to 10 lb test and make sure there is no twist.

it might be the rod being a medium heavy and the line weight

i used to use a 5'10" medium ugly stick with a pretty cheap reel and i can launch a weightless senko pretty far, but i also had on 8 pound test its more than enough to do the job just set the drag right you can pull in 3-4 pounders even without drag i've done it plenty of times with 8# line..

1. Check the rod's specs and make sure the line weight and bait size are within its parameters.

2.  Let out six to eight inches of line when casting.

3.  Try casting sideways and overhead and see which results in longer casts.

4. I am not familiar with the Mitchell 300 but the reel must have its specs written somewhere on it.  Match the line weight to the reel's specs along with the rod's specs.

Give the above a try and see if you can cast longer.  If not, get back with us and we can give you some other suggestions.  ;)

I'd say with that setup, you have too stiff a rod and too thick line.  Back off on the line and see if that helps.  You might also have to switch to braid to improve distance.

Most of the Ugly med hvy spinning rods in 6' to 6'6" I have seen, run line ratings of 10 - 15 lb test and lure ratings of 1/4 - 3/4oz.

Question, are you trying to cast lighter than 1/4oz on 14 lb test?

If so, an't going to happen you will need a rod that loads easier than a medium heavy more like a medium - medium light and scale down the line...

Good Luck & Tight Lines!!!