Sign in to follow this  
bobdogg17

Anyone ever used or seen this rod case/holder??

I usually take 2-3 rods with me when I head out now. 6'6" spinning, 6'6" casting and a 6'8" casting. I carry my rods in the 6'5" bed of my truck and with the money i've spent on the rods/reels, i need a nice carrier/protector. I bought the big soft case from BPS, but the size isn't adjustable so it's way too big and akward. I have a $20 off coupon of a purchase $100 or more for BPS that expires tomorrow and I was looking at this case/holder:

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_61230_100004000_100000000_100004000_100-4-0

it's $100, but it's a hard case and looks nice. I'm a little hesitant to spend that much for a holder, but if it's nice and works, then so be in. Since they pretty much stay in the bed of my truck (covered) i'd like something that works! Please let me know if anyone has seen this or used this one so I can make up my mind before the days over!!   :-/

I think I have the same BPS soft case, and I totally wish that I had spent a bit more money for a hard case.  Although I can carry all my rods a little more easily, the case is so flimsy I have doubts about its protective qualities, and its a PITA to velcro the rods in and out.

Well, that being said,  I would suggest to you that when making this investment, make sure that the case will expand to fit your needs should they expand.  I see that you have two 6'6" rods and a 6'8" rod.  If your thinking about getting a large swimbait or flipping rig or even a set up for larger game fish like musky/pike, make sure that the case will expand to fit those types of rods.  Not sure how much that rod holder expands but I know I would kick myself for buying a $100 case and a few months or a year later looking to expand my fishing arsenal, was restricted when buying a rod cause my rod case isn't long enough to hold it or have to buy a new case all together.

The reason I'm so long winded is because I'm in the same situation.  I like how that model has the padded interior to hold the reels as well, but I don't think it will expand to hold say a 7'6" or longer rod.  Plano makes some expandable rod tubes that fit the bill but it for rods only, not enough room for reels.  BPS does offer a padded reel case though!  This is the route I might take.  Hope this is more of a help than a hindrance. :-/

Sounds like we do have the same one because yes it is VERY flimsy and akward to carry, etc. Yeah, this hard case/holder I'm looking at holds up to 4 assembled rods. I don't forsee myself having more than that in the near future but who knows when that will change! It extends to up to 80" I think, but i'd have to look again to be sure. i don't really think i'd ever get a rod bigger than 7'. I saw and looked at a bunch of the rod tubes, but they're $60+ and i don't think the reel fits in them like you said.

Does anyone have or tried this case???...Buehler...anyone!!

Put me down as another unhappy softcase owner and yup, it's a real pain in the butt to use...  I usually don't use it.

That hard case looks great and looks like it would do exactly what you want.  But I don't have it either...  (wish I did)  $100 is a little steep but it should last a lifetime and save your rods.  You could make one for about $20 but by the time you spent the hours making it just right, you'd be out $100 in your time.

RW,

He wants to carry them assembled and ready to roll...

yeah the rod tubes are nice, but i DEF don't want to disassemble my rods everytime. It's not for travel, just storage which is why I looked at the $100 case

I have the big Bps case that your link shows. It is great. I have used it for air travel several times. Holds up well. The adjusters actually screw in so it won't move on you. My dad gave me mine because he didn't use it. Very durable.

Rand

My brother has the Frabill hard case you're looking at. It is great, if you want to spend that much. He picked his up at an auction for 10 bucks. I tried to talk him out of it, but he still has it. When I need to buy a new case, that will be the one.

I have one of the Bazooka cases, and a Cabelas brand case, and one more. The Bazooka and the Cabelas are OK for the price. If you're going to use on of those, get some stick jackets. The rods rattle around in the hard plastic cases, and will drive you nuts on a long trip.

I can't remember the name of the one I use all the time. I got it at a local tackle shop, and there is no name on it. I've had up to ten rods in it. I usually put 8 rods, with stick jackets, in this case. It's been on several flights, and the airline baggage handlers can't seem to hurt it. Unlike every other piece of luggage I've used.