Sign in to follow this  
bigtimfish

Deep Crankin Reel.

I just got a little bonus and am going to have about $150 to get a new crankin reel, whats out there for that price with a nice slow ratio? let me know

low profile or round??? i just recently picked up an abugarcia 5600 ext pro and love it built like a tank solid drag smooth as silk and has external brakes,ebay has some for like 130.check um out see what ya think   http://cgi.ebay.com/Abu-Garcia-5600-EXT-PRO-High-Speed-Baitcasting-Reel-NEW_W0QQitemZ350108449438QQcmdZViewItem

my brother n law has that reel...decent reel but talk about casting crap for miles ..wow.....that thing can haul out the line with a decent size lure on the end.i liked it when i tried it kinda fun to watch your bait sail out there and count to yourself 1,2,3,4,5,6,7.......till it hits the water 80 yrds out haha.

I had a Fritts reel, actually two and they do cast a long distance, but they nowhere near match the distance of my EXT Pro, but the problem with the pro is that it comes only in 6.5:1, which translates to 30" ipt. The Fritts reel is good, understand that they do not have instant anti-reverse, rather a dual pawl design, which is fine on a crankbait reel. I've actually done some tinkering with my Abu EXT Pro and have the ipt down to 23, which is not ideal but will do, IMO.  There are a couple of options out there, but none that fit your pricie range that I can think of, maybe KVD's signature reel at BPS, or Fritt's signature reel.  I would look for a reel with around 21-20 ipt, Good luck

I also wanted to mention that although the Fritts reel is a low profile design it isn't a low profile reel.  By that I mean the reel foot is not recessed, and it sits much higher on the rod, much more like a round profile.  In fact I found my Fritts reels and my round reels felt very similar.  

I have a Pfluger Trion 5.2:1.  This reel does good for me It has a nice wide spool for those extra long casts you will face while you crankbait fishing.  Also, this reel is fairly light but I believe that it could be better in terms of weight.  The only thing I do not like about this reel is that is feels weird in my hand, but that isn't a big issue so I just deal with it. This reel cost me $99.99 at the local bait and tackle shop but I am sure you could find one a bit cheaper than this on EBAY or even in this forum's Fishing Flea Market section.

In conclusion I think if you decide to get this reel you will be pretty pleased with it, but of course their is something better out there in your price range I was just giving you my 2 cents about my cranking reel.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a Shimano Curado 200DPV.  Ratio is 5.0:1.  There are still plenty of them loafing around in stores (a store near me still has some new Curado Bs).  Now that the Curado E is out, you can get super-steep discounts on the 200DPV - well under $100.  These are solid, smooth reels that cast all weights of baits well.

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a Shimano Curado 200DPV. Ratio is 5.0:1. There are still plenty of them loafing around in stores (a store near me still has some new Curado Bs). Now that the Curado E is out, you can get super-steep discounts on the 200DPV - well under $100. These are solid, smooth reels that cast all weights of baits well.

x2 great reel

For $150, you should be able to find a Curado E7 on ebay for around that, I think mine was around that shipped.  

I'd look around and find a Curado E5 at a discount... They aren't too hard to find for a little more than $150.  It palms very well, casts great, and has power to spare.  

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a Shimano Curado 200DPV. Ratio is 5.0:1. There are still plenty of them loafing around in stores (a store near me still has some new Curado Bs). Now that the Curado E is out, you can get super-steep discounts on the 200DPV - well under $100. These are solid, smooth reels that cast all weights of baits well.

great reel, id love to put it on a diet though..........

still worth the $$$

I'd look around and find a Curado E5 at a discount... They aren't too hard to find for a little more than $150. It palms very well, casts great, and has power to spare.

x2 - The new Curado's and Citica's are something to behold.

Too bad if you're left handed though.  I wanted to buy a shimano low gear ratio for cranking and they did not make one in the Left hand retrieve. :)

I agree on the Curado.  I had never owned a shimano until I got one of these last summer.  It is my go to crankin' reel and I also through lipless cranks on them too.

If it is that easy, then why doesn't shimano do it then.  Sorry, but I aint dropping that kinda coin on a reel that is for my non-reeling hand, only to have to go home and tear it apart and put another gear in it.  I'll get a winch or some other high quality reel that doesn't require modification......

Thanks for the info though!

Go Wings!

Joe

Too bad if you're left handed though. I wanted to buy a shimano low gear ratio for cranking and they did not make one in the Left hand retrieve. :)

They did, the 201DPV.

Too bad if you're left handed though. I wanted to buy a shimano low gear ratio for cranking and they did not make one in the Left hand retrieve. :)

They did, the 201DPV.

Is that last years model????

Yep, I agree -- I hate that I'd need to buy a different model of a brand new reel and crack it open.

I'd really like to sit in on a meeting at Shimano to hear how they justify not making a many lefty reels.

7:1 ratio available in L and R

300 size available in L and R

5:1, only make in righty

"There's not enough market" for lefty reels, I'm told.  Daiwa and Abu seem to do just fine with it.

They did, the 201DPV.

Is that last years model????

That is the reel referenced in the post you quoted.

Apologize for not seeing the quote.....I was looking at the shimano E series and they do not make their low gear ratio reel in a left hand retrieve.  This is frustrating.  I am an archer too (right handed).  I have friends that shoot left and it too is frustrating to them that the L hand bows are released, quite often, much later in the year  than the right.  You would think that with the engineering and production capabilities in this day and age they would be able to spit them out either way, without a huge cost increase.