Sign in to follow this  
JellyMan

All Around Rod Under $60

Well I broke the tip of my rod while hauling a 6 lber into the canoe!!!

GRRRRR. 8-)

Anyways... I am looking for a good all around rod in a 6'6 MH under $60.

I know thats a shallow price but it will have to do for now.

What would you recommend?

Since your a tip breaker  ;D u should look at shimanos they have 3 models under ur price range Convergence,voltuaes, and maybe clarus if u look hard.  all have lifetime warrenties

The Shimano's might be ad good of a choice as any. I own a Convergence and Like it a lot especially for the $39 I paid for it.

If you look in the right spots you might find a Fenwick HMX when they are on sale

Maybe Fenwick Eagle GT's possibly

Bass Proshop Extremes can be had when on sale which they often are

Cabelas Fish Eagle II's go on sale quite often for that several BassResource.com members use them.

FFI - AKA Matt Crum

Ok...

I looked at the Ugly Stick. Seems to have good reviews and a great price.

I will be getting my rod from either BPS or Sports Authority. Sports Authority has a ton of Shimano's. That is where I got my last one that just broke. It was the Soujorn. Good rod.

The ugly stick may suit you since you haul bass as you desrcibed. Many rods can easily break when handled that way.

Many claim that U sticks suck in the sensitivity department but sensitivity is relative any way.  A mathematician might even say that the U stick's sensitivity and durability are inversely proportional to each other.  ;D

I would go for the Shimano Volteous. It seems to be shimano's answer to the ugly stick.

I believe the U stick's warranty is finite and on those grounds alone I'd take the voltaeous.

The ugly stick may suit you since you haul bass as you desrcibed. Many rods can easily break when handled that way.

Many claim that U sticks suck in the sensitivity department but sensitivity is relative any way. A mathematician might even say that the U stick's sensitivity and durability are inversely proportional to each other. ;D

I would go for the Shimano Volteous. It seems to be shimano's answer to the ugly stick.

I believe the U stick's warranty is finite and on those grounds alone I'd take the voltaeous.

This is the only rod I have ever broke btw lol.

But yeah the Shimano seems like a great rod at a great price.

Thanks. I will be hitting BPS and Sports Authority this Friday. wooo

Cabelas has the FishEagle!! 6'6" MH on sale for 60 right now

I have a Fenwick Eagle GT I like it alot. And Ugly sticks are great (If your playing wiffle ball with your kids in the backyard) ;D ;D

i have a shimano voltaeus i like for crankbaits and an allstar select which is also very good. im not an ugly stick fan.

Daiwa Team-V, All Star Classic, BPS Tourney Special or Extreme, Abu Garcia Conolon. Any of these rods are well suited to all around fishing, most are great for any use in their medium action offerings. I use 6'6" medium action rods 90% of the time, but that just might be me. The All Star Classics have more to offer in the way of what I call "special purpose" rods....for C-Rigging, cranking, finesse, etc.

Academy American Rodsmith Apex titanium, Allstar classic, both are $49.00

I could not agree more.  Both of these are unbelievable rods for the price.  I have the Rodsmith that is MH 3/8-1 oz.  I find it to be very heavy.  A good "all-around" rod would be the model that is a step down weight wise.

Cabelas currently has their xml line of fishing rods on sale for 69.00. These rods have the fuji grips and alconite guides. I believe they have a 25 year warranty. They normally retail for 139.00. Just another option for you.

I have been fishing the BPS Graphite Series rods on all my baitcasters for 2 years now and they have performed flawlessly, especially at 34.99 each.