Sign in to follow this  
zbigbadaaron

Is it safe to use Quantum Hot Sauce on my Pfluger Trion.

Well I figured it is about time for me to clean and oil my Pflueger Trion baitcast reel. I read a post about some guy putting Quantum Hot Sauce on a Diawa Steez and it messed it up. So I was wondering if it would be safe to oil my Pflueger Trion with Quantum Hot Sauce?

Hot Sauce is formulated to be used on Quantums PT bearings.  I personally wouldn't use it on anything that's not a Quantum.

NO. Put hot sauce on your chicken wings.

Hot Sauce is formulated to be used on Quantums PT bearings. I personally wouldn't use it on anything that's not a Quantum.

I'm a Quantum reel user and I won't put that junk in them either!

Nothing better than corrosion x

I've been using Ardent's Reel Butter grease and oil and like it! The other one I would recommend is our very own Reel Mechanic's oil and grease! It's definitely a great product as well!

Thanks basser89,

The Ardent Reel Butter is a good choice, and my lubes are located here....

http://www.***/shopping/shop/store/reel-repair-supplies01.html

Tight Lines All!!!  

I love Hot Sauce....it has the lowest viscosity of any of the available reel oils.  This doesn't mean it's better....just yields more RPM's.  You do have to flush and relube more often with the thinner oil.  I'd be curious as to what anyone has against it.  It is the 'favorite' over on TT, with resident reel guru's favoring it.  I always go with my own experience; I just pointed that out to illustrate how different forums have totally different opinions.  I sometimes wonder if one elder says they don't like it, if everyone just follows.  

Good Point Natural; each site has it's favorites, wonder if it's coincidental that they are that sites particular sponsors? Which makes complete sense.

For me I always used the ABU, only one I knew of. I was fishing for Cocktail Blues with some of the Fellas in Brooklyn and one of them gave me the Penn product, it is very readily available, inexpensive and it works. Come to think of it , my Friend Paul is an elder, he just turned 60 ;D

Good Point Natural; each site has it's favorites, wonder if it's coincidental that they are that sites particular sponsors? Which makes complete sense.

For me I always used the ABU, only one I knew of. I was fishing for Cocktail Blues with some of the Fellas in Brooklyn and one of them gave me the Penn product, it is very readily available, inexpensive and it works. Come to think of it , my Friend Paul is an elder, he just turned 60 ;D

Word Muddy.  Honestly, any of the oils available will probably work well if you just keep your bearings clean and lubed.  

I'd be curious as to what anyone has against it.

Hey Natural,

My problem with Hot sauce is at both ends of the temp range. In cold temps (below 45), I found that it gummed up on me. On the other end of the thermometer (about 85+), it thins out and really caused the reel to scream on a cast (even the first time out after a cleaning). Any where between those 2 ranges I mentioned, I didn't have a problem with it.

Hey Natural,

My problem with Hot sauce is at both ends of the temp range. In cold temps (below 45), I found that it gummed up on me. On the other end of the thermometer (about 85+), it thins out and really caused the reel to scream on a cast (even the first time out after a cleaning). Any where between those 2 ranges I mentioned, I didn't have a problem with it.

Fair enough, though I'm surprised to hear that Hot Sauce would gum up being as thin as it is.  I definitely wouldn't recommend the Sauce or Yellow Rocket Fuel for folks that only break down their reels once a year; both are just too thin to keep your bearings protected that long.  There is a reason the factory packs them so full of grease and oil; the average user doesn't flush as often as they should.  

Hey Natural,

Fair enough, though I'm surprised to hear that Hot Sauce would gum up being as thin as it is. I definitely wouldn't recommend the Sauce or Yellow Rocket Fuel for folks that only break down their reels once a year; both are just too thin to keep your bearings protected that long. There is a reason the factory packs them so full of grease and oil; the average user doesn't flush as often as they should.

i flush after every time i go  :o;) ;D

Hey Natural,

Fair enough, though I'm surprised to hear that Hot Sauce would gum up being as thin as it is. I definitely wouldn't recommend the Sauce or Yellow Rocket Fuel for folks that only break down their reels once a year; both are just too thin to keep your bearings protected that long. There is a reason the factory packs them so full of grease and oil; the average user doesn't flush as often as they should.

Natural,   when you say "Flush" are you completely gutting your reels - cleaning and re-lubing?   Or just lubing up specific areas?

I don't approve of Hot Sauce.  That and 10 bits oughtta get you a cup of coffee.

I have had no problems with Hot Sauce. We even used it in my partners Shimano's with no issues. I would not say it's the best, but it does work good. I do however think issues will arise when you start mixing brands. If your going to try a new brand, and I think the Reel Mechanic would agree, I would recommend a complete take down and clean.

Agree 100% don't mix lubricants/brands.

Doesn't make sense to add new fresh lubricants over old lubes.... :;)

If we receive a reel that has had HS in it, it is easy to tell the red dye is everywhere it was used. Then we have to do a pre-soak, then a degrease to try and get it out.

If the reel still has the lube (HS oil/grease especially) in it, then we pre-soak in an old tank of degreaser, then to the filtered tank for the scrub.

We have to do this to protect our 5gal tanks from becoming contaminated with the stuff and passing the red dye onto other reels...

This is one of our hassles with the stuff...

But to the original poster, sorry for the high jack and quick answer..

No it wont hurt the reel but IMO it doesn't help either.....

Tight Lines All!!!  

Well I figured it is about time for me to clean and oil my Pflueger Trion baitcast reel. I read a post about some guy putting Quantum Hot Sauce on a Diawa Steez and it messed it up. So I was wondering if it would be safe to oil my Pflueger Trion with Quantum Hot Sauce?

If you're not sure, why chance it? The other folks have give you some great options. I doubt that anyone knows more about it than the Reel Mechanic, so I'd consider his recommendations very seriously.

For me, most of my reels are Shimano's. I use Dupont Teflon/Lithium grease in the spray can for the gears and shafts, and Penn synthetic reel oil for rest.

I use some pure alcohol to clean out most of the old crap, then quickly finishing flushing it with Dupont Teflon/Silicone spray. Then I treat the gears and shafts with the the Teflon/Lithium grease. Add some of the Penn syn oil to the bearings and pivot points... the reels perform as smooth as silk.

One of my Stradics had the ill-famed "binding" issue. When I went to the above process, I never had another problem. Maybe I was lucky... maybe it never got wet enough again... maybe it's the stuff I used? Who knows? ;)

BTW, I contacted Shimano, and they said the Dupont Teflon/Lithium grease is an "excellent" choice... at least on their reels.