Sign in to follow this  
RushFan2112

One Piece vs Two Piece Rods

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Besides the obvious ability to travel easily with a two piece rod, what are the pros and cons of a two piece (spinning rods)? I've always used one piece rods. As I begin to travel more for my fishing outings, I'm considering a two piece rod for ease of travel. I'll be going with a St. Croix when I make the purchase (been using their rods for 20 years and love em). Does the two piece setup cause less sensitivity? Thanks in advance for your replies.

It looks like you answered you own question. 2-piece rods definitely make it convenient for travel. The pro is convenience.

The con is a two piece isn't a one piece. The only thing that can potentially be irritating is the occassional time the two piece might become misaligned.  Other than that there is not really other cons of consequence.

As for the loss of sensitivity, it is negligible. You won't miss anything with a well made 2-peice from a reputable company like St. Croix. I fish with my two two-piece rods more than I do with my "true" 1-piece bass rods.

Hey All,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Besides the obvious ability to travel easily with a two piece rod, what are the pros and cons of a two piece (spinning rods)? I've always used one piece rods. As I begin to travel more for my fishing outings, I'm considering a two piece rod for ease of travel. I'll be going with a St. Croix when I make the purchase (been using their rods for 20 years and love em). Does the two piece setup cause less sensitivity? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Yes, no, depends.

Yes, a two piece rod will be less sensitive than an equal rod in one piece.

No, a good quality two piece rod can be extremely sensitive and if compared to a 1 piece rod of the same quality the difference in sensitivity would be so little tha you can 't tell.

Depends, on what quality you are buying.

I 've had two piece rods, I 've had those old metal ferrule fiberglass rods and the thruth is they sucked; I do have a two piece rod, a GraphiteLeader Bosco, I bought it because I wanted a good mid level rod when I 'm on foot patrol, it cost me a little bit more than a GLoomis GL2 and in the sensitivity department the Bosco leaves the GL2 and the Crucial on their knees begging for mercy.

As Raul replied, Yes & No.

If all other things are equal (they never are), naturally I'd go with a one-piece rod.

But that's easy for me to say because I prefer short rods, but how about the guy who likes 7.5 or 8 ft blanks?

A one-piece blank eliminates the dead-spot that may exist at the ferrules of a two-piece blank.

Still, I wouldn't let that alone change my mind about a rod that offered everything else I was looking for.

Roger

But that's easy for me to say because I prefer short rods, but how about the guy who likes 7.5 or 8 ft blanks?

Or the guy who goes on the foot patrol and has to walk into the thick brush in order to get from one spot to the next ? You just split your rod into two smaller pieces, walk into the brush and not have to worry about hanging up in every single branch 6-7 ft in every direction.  ;)

The shore of my two favorite foot patrol lakes are covered with thorny branchy huizache brush, no way I 'm going to walk through the brush with a 1 piece rod.

The shore of my two favorite foot patrol lakes are covered with thorny branchy huizache brush, no way I 'm going to walk through the brush with a 1 piece rod.

When I lived in Jersey, I fished a place called the "Sand Pits" which consisted of several small ponds.

I would dutifully breakdown my rods into sections then hike to the first pond.

But after that, I always cheated when moving from pond to pond by leaving the rods intact with the lures tied on (uh oh)!

No matter how I hunched, writhed and contorted, I only spent about half my time moving forward,

and the rest of my time was spent backtracking to unsnag a lure

Roger

I only use 1 piece rods. None of the 2 piece rods I've used in the past felt right in my hands. Never really had any issues  traveling with 1 piece 7 or 7.5 foot rods. Even camping trips where you have to canoe/portage everything in its never been a problem. I do plenty of shore fishing throw thick woods and still no problems. Just depends what your used to and how willing you are to adapt to carry the long rods.

Thanks for all of the replies guys.  I appreciate your time.

I have a 2 pc. 7'6" Shimano Clarus..never had any issues..re: sensitivity, and no it's not as good as say my Calcutta is, but is used for longer cast's from shore, I DS, T rig, C rig, and toss weightless plastic's with it..Down side is I use to have to realigned, so now, I use electrical tape on the joint, as I never break it down..To be honest, do I prefer to fish with a 2 pc...No, but I got a deal on it..so I use it.

When I lived in Jersey, I fished a place called the "Sand Pits" which consisted of several small ponds.

Roger

Whereabouts ? You wouldn't be talking about the pits off of Cross Keys Road in Camden County would you ?

There are a few places in Jersey called the "Sand Pits", but the one I was referring to lies in Parsippany, NJ.

(Rumor has it that spring water rushed in so fast that some heavy equipment is still on the floor of the pits)

The closest to Camden County I used to fish was Lower Aetna Lake (one of the Medford Lakes),

which held the former world record chain pickerel (9 lb, 3 oz). My apologies for an off-topic response

Roger