Sign in to follow this  
MarauderYak

Gary Loomis is with TFO

This story started a while ago, but here's a release from TFO fly rods...

http://www.tforods.com/

Here's a partial from the page:

Gary probably said it best: "All I have ever wanted to do was build the best rods available for everyone to fish. Through TFO, I am able to deliver a true performance rod that once cost three times as much. Working with TFO allows me to put high-quality rods in the hands of potential anglers that otherwise would not have access to this kind of gear. It is these new anglers that through their enjoyment of the sport, will help us protect our threatened fisheries."

We've started production of 28 one and two piece rods in both spinning and casting configurations in 6', 6 ½' and 7' lengths. They will feature single foot guides with gold SIC inserts, skeletonized lower grips and fast/progressive actions. Retail pricing will be $99.95 and availability is expected in early September. Gary's analysis of the entire process from blank performance to finish out has been amazing to see and we expect these rods will be even more amazing to fish.

Please join me in welcoming Gary to our Temple Fork Outfitters family.

Absolutely great move for TFO and I suspect an equally as rewarding deal for Loomis.

I wish them both great success!

Yep, been reading about this. It is certainly good news for Loomis fans, but probably isn't thrilling the folks at Shimano.

Just curious, if Gary felt that way, anybody know why did he sell the company in the first place?

Yep, been reading about this. It is certainly good news for Loomis fans, but probably isn't thrilling the folks at Shimano.

Just curious, if Gary felt that way, anybody know why did he sell the company in the first place?

Big money contracts have been known to make people do wacky things, but I thought the same thing. Why did he sell it if he loved it so much?

I'm surprised that this kind of thing wasn't in the contract he signed when he sold the company.

It is my understanding when the company was sold it was getting stale, nothing new coming out (still nothing really new coming out), GL needed funds, and, Shimano® just happen to see a chance to buy out everyone's number one rod competitor lock stock and barrel (including the name).

GL going to TFO is just designed for name recognition (much like Boyd D & E21)...

Figure now everyone will be going ga ga over TFO rods designed by GL but without his name on them...

Just an old rod builders .02¢

Tight Lines!!!!  

Big money contracts have been known to make people do wacky things, but I thought the same thing. Why did he sell it if he loved it so much?

I'm surprised that this kind of thing wasn't in the contract he signed when he sold the company.

Gee I don't know, but let me take a shot at answering this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ;D

It is my understanding when the company was sold it was getting stale, nothing new coming out (still nothing really new coming out), GL needed funds, and, Shimano® just happen to see a chance to buy out everyone's number one rod competitor lock stock and barrel (including the name).

GL going to TFO is just designed for name recognition (much like Boyd D & E21)...

Figure now everyone will be going ga ga over TFO rods designed by GL but without his name on them...

Just an old rod builders .02¢

Tight Lines!!!!

VERY, VERY well put sir!

Gee I don't know, but let me take a shot at answering this:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ;D

I do believe that I answered that question before, and it was in fact a rhetorical question.  ;)

Everyone knows why he sold it.

I do believe that I answered that question before, and it was in fact a rhetorical question. ;)

Well, I didn't see your previous answer, but yes, it was a rhetorical question. I guess what he meant to say was "All I ever wanted to do was build the best available rods for everyone... as long as I'm FILTHY RICH first."

Kind of turns me off about his "new" rods.

I do believe that I answered that question before, and it was in fact a rhetorical question. ;)

Well, I didn't see your previous answer, but yes, it was a rhetorical question. I guess what he meant to say was "All I ever wanted to do was build the best available rods for everyone... as long as I'm FILTHY RICH first."

Kind of turns me off about his "new" rods.

From one perspective GL may seem hypocritical, but on the other hand, he's at an age where he should be firming up his financials for retirement and perhaps taking care of his family :) Sorry, too close to the retirement business... ;)

Perhaps because he is now financially set, he can [hopefully] focus on delivering value to the customer, rather than maximizing profit.

Just months ago he announced that he was partnered with Targus Fly Rods(China made).  Now TFO(Korea made), which is the most mediocre heavy dead feeling fly rod made under a non house brand name.   Made famous only because of the god like status of Lefty Kreh to the fly fishing crowd.   Smart of TFO, how much longer can Kreh be at his symbolic throne of their company at his age.  So get Loomis to take over the next shift.  Still nothing to get excited about since their conventional rods will likely be just like their fly rods, heavy, gaudy and unbalanced.

I assume ( and you know what that can do to ya!!) that the Loomis warranty and fast replacement plan will not be affected by the buyout? I do not have much info. about the purchase, does anyone know how it affects existing Loomis rod owners? After further research, I know that Shimano bought G Loomis in 1997. so I answered my own question. The warranty is the same.

I assume ( and you know what that can do to ya!!) that the Loomis warranty and fast replacement plan will not be affected by the buyout? I do not have much info. about the purchase, does anyone know how it affects existing Loomis rod owners?

There is no change.

8-)

Who here works for free? I don't. Who here wants to work until the day he dies and leave nothing to his family? I don't. Who here wants to end up in a gov't provided nursing home if they can't work? I sure don't. I doubt any of you do either- so all of you "it's all about the money" sayers should take a long look in the mirror.

I forget that not everyone fly fishes as well... TFO is a very recognized name in that world. But to the average non fly fishing angler, they are probably little known. The fact that they have gone from nothing to an industry competitor so quickly, shows me that they are willing to invest in both product and people. I'll actually be excited to see what they come up with and what price points they serve. Maybe he'll come up with an IMX equivalent at 1/2 the cost? Who knows!

They are sort of the "All Star" of fly fishing... great value on very good, but not top end rods. Although many do consider their rods to be on par with the elites.