Sign in to follow this  
burleytog

Core 50MG7 specs & photos

grams? what, are we in france?!?!

I didnt weigh mine but shimano says the reel weighs 5.5 oz.  It is very light and feels as light as my steez that is rated at 5.5 oz.

I didnt weigh mine but shimano says the reel weighs 5.5 oz. It is very light and feels as light as my steez that is rated at 5.5 oz.

158grms comes in at 5.6 ounces.  I'd

ask for a refund. ;D

11.5 grams is an extremely light spool.....lighter than a Daiwa Pixy (the standard by which all finesse reels are judged).  Most anglers won't appreciate how big of a stat that is.....it's really eye opening for the enthusiast crowd.    I predict the new Core 50 to be as good of a caster as the Steez or any other reel made....no arguing there.

16 oz = 454 grams

Therefore,

(158 gr/454 gr)*16 oz =  5.568 [ch8776] 5.6 oz. Hmm...  Shimano didn't round up and truncated the computation in the hundredth spot.  ;D

Multi-Variable Caculus class next.  ;) ;D

16 oz = 454 grams

Therefore,

(158 gr/454 gr)*16 oz = 5.568 [ch8776] 5.6 oz. Hmm... Shimano didn't round up and truncated the computation in the hundredth spot. ;D

Multi-Variable Caculus class next. :) ;D

Or they weighed one dry, as all manufacturers probably do, to save what weight isn't part of the actual product. Same reason they don't weigh it with line in it... and you don't use it without line. ::D

Logic, I got an A.  ;) ;D

dude, that is a nice match for the LTX. Does anyone else really like the look of the thumb bar?

It could be the scale calibration or quality of the scale. Our scale shows the reel at 5.5 ounces or 155.9 grams. The spool weight bounced from 10.8-11 grams with the break weights. Either way the reel and spool are very light  ;)

It could be the scale calibration or quality of the scale. Our scale shows the reel at 5.5 ounces or 155.9 grams. The spool weight bounced from 10.8-11 grams with the break weights. Either way the reel and spool are very light ;)

Mettler AE200 analytical balance, certified twice per year.

I have no idea what model ours is. I know the thing is massive and very expensive. It is calibrated often. Like I said different scales. I see the same thing when reloading ammunition. The most accurate is still the beam type. Having a cell phone in your pocket is enough to change the readings on a digital scale.

Coming from a die hard Daiwa fan...Sir, ya done good.

What a beautiful little reel.  (Now back to reality)

;)

Great thread, UrleyBay!

;D ;D ;D

Hey man, thanks for this thread....I like the side by side photos. Maybe I will get a low profile. Bronzefly took the time to explain all of the ins and outs of today's gear on the phone and said I should look into low profile light reels for a GLX casting rod.

One question, is that cast control a clicking type?

Those photos helped me see the size difference between this new one and the Curado. I've held the Curado but not this new Core. Thanks! ;)

Hey Urley do you know what size the bearings are for the spool?  I can't find any schematics for it.  I was about to order some Boca orange seals for my curado and thought I might order some for the new core as well which should be showing up today from fedex ;)

Thanks!

Dan

Spent most of the night using the reel to throw a jig.  Took a bit of time to adjust, it is quite a bit more free than the Curado.  Throws a 1/4 oz. jig better than the Curado as well.

First fish on the reel?  A 3 lb. smallie.  

11.5 grams is an extremely light spool.....lighter than a Daiwa Pixy (the standard by which all finesse reels are judged).

How much do they weigh when they are full of line?

Hey Urley do you know what size the bearings are for the spool? I can't find any schematics for it. I was about to order some Boca orange seals for my curado and thought I might order some for the new core as well which should be showing up today from fedex ;)

Thanks!

Dan

I've changed out mine on my Aldebarans - they're the standard 10x3x4 sized spool bearings 8-)